The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Whn to call time on player injury

This is probably more of an issue for LL, but I have always been conflicted when to stop play when a player is obviously injured on a play, whether offensive or defensive player. In fairness I want to wait until all play has stopped, but if a player (especially a young kid) is obviously in pain that is more important than the game. Your thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinbee View Post
This is probably more of an issue for LL, but I have always been conflicted when to stop play when a player is obviously injured on a play, whether offensive or defensive player. In fairness I want to wait until all play has stopped, but if a player (especially a young kid) is obviously in pain that is more important than the game. Your thoughts?
Unless the player is in danger of sustaining additional injury (e.g., R3 is injured at home, and there's an upcoming play on R2 at the plate), let the play finish. Don't punish adults for beginning to come onto the field during play (unless they actually interfere). Most injuries won't get worse in the 10 secodns it takes for the play to finish.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:02am
Administrator

First and foremost the safety of the players come first even at the high school level and the college level. The oldest age group I umpire is the H.S. age group.

I automatically stop play and I don't care what how much I grief I receive from the coaches when the injury is a head, neck, or back injury, in otherwords injuries that can cause brain damage or paralysis. Other injuries call for good judgement and really depend upon the age and is the player in danger of suffering further injuries by being in the vincinity of an impending play.

Just my two cents.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. When in doubt, stop play, and sort everything out after the injured player has been attended to.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

There is NO comparison in fairness to the game or the health of the player at any level, period. Especially at LL. Don't even go there. Call time and any coach that doesn't like it, gets tossed.

At the more advanced levels, what tends to happen is the players will complete the play and realize the seriousness of what happened and relax. Then you can call time for the record.

For the most part though, if you have to error, ALWAYS error on the side of the injured player.

I officiated a hockey game where a players throat was cut open with a skate and seconds were precious, and in baseball a semi-pro pitcher was knocked unconscious with the throw to second and time was called at the completion of the play. Two different scenario's, you have to judge accordingly but, error on the side of the player.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
unless the player is in danger of sustaining additional injury (e.g., r3 is injured at home, and there's an upcoming play on r2 at the plate), let the play finish. Don't punish adults for beginning to come onto the field during play (unless they actually interfere). most injuries won't get worse in the 10 seconds it takes for the play to finish.
+1
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Well I believe in player safety.

I only call time if that injured player can continue to be in harm's way.

Two years ago I had a batter hit a stinging line drive to the outfield with two runners on base.

As he hit the ball he dislocated his patella.

He fell into a pile at home plate.

Before R2 rounded third base he started to CRAWL towards first base. He left the area around the plate (i.e. no further danger) so I let play continue.

By now the crowd was cheering his crawl towards first base (of course I knew there was a bigger issue as this ball was hit when there where two out). Since R1 had now scored I followed the BR down the first base line (my intent was to protect him if harm were to rear that ugle head).

As he crawled the defense finally noted he had yet to reach first base. F6 made a long throw from his relay position in Left Center -- the ball drew F3 off the base to catch the errant toss.

Now the race was on between a crawling BR and a sprinting FK (you figure than one out) and as F3 arrived at the base the crying, dirty BR fell safely across the base.

AT THAT TIME I called "Time".

Real story.

T
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Two years ago I had a batter hit a stinging line drive to the outfield with two runners on base.

Before R2 rounded third base he started to CRAWL towards first base. He left the area around the plate (i.e. no further danger) so I let play continue.

By now the crowd was cheering his crawl towards first base (of course I knew there was a bigger issue as this ball was hit when there where two out). Since R1 had now scored I followed the BR down the first base line (my intent was to protect him if harm were to rear that ugle head).

As he crawled the defense finally noted he had yet to reach first base. F6 made a long throw from his relay position in Left Center -- the ball drew F3 off the base to catch the errant toss.

Now the race was on between a crawling BR and a sprinting FK (you figure than one out) and as F3 arrived at the base the crying, dirty BR fell safely across the base.

Real story.

T

I agree with everything you did...I'm just curious: did the all coaches involved also agree?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds good to me, Tim.
I had an AAU game where R3 dove head first to the plate and hit hard on his pelvis. I realized that he crawled off the dirt and was out of harm's way when R2 came barreling through to score. I called time and the manager called 911. I found out the next day that the player ended up with a fractured pelvis.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like sliding lessons may be in order!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Real story.

T
I would have let the play continue and then banged him out.

Not really. Great story Tim.