The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Big 10 -- New supervisor and new evaluation process

UW men's basketball: New officials chief aims for more accountability from referees

Interesting article. Wonder who's not going to be back this season....
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I love it when they put people with no officiating background in charge of officials.

Bo Ryan likes it that the new supervisor was a coach...really no crap.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I love it when they put people with no officiating background in charge of officials.

Bo Ryan likes it that the new supervisor was a coach...really no crap.
Wow, just read that. Back in my 2nd year of officiating I got to tag along and work an intra-squad scrimmage at W&M when was the HC. I'll say this, he knew the rules and he treated our crew very well. He let it be known that he was very appreciative of our profession.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wow, just read that. Back in my 2nd year of officiating I got to tag along and work an intra-squad scrimmage at W&M when was the HC. I'll say this, he knew the rules and he treated our crew very well. He let it be known that he was very appreciative of our profession.
A coach knowing the rules isn't the same as being in the fire as a Division 1 official.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think it's only a matter of time before basketball is run like NCAA softball, where they openly admit that the coaches run the sport.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
A coach knowing the rules isn't the same as being in the fire as a Division 1 official.
Well, I never said it was. And that was 8 years ago. Who knows what he has been doing behind the scenes to get prepared for this type of job. And we all know that a successful "coach" isn't always one who played the game before at the highest level. If Boyages is surrounding himself with former D1 officials who have been in the fire he can do a good job.

John Guthrie and Fred Barakat came from the coaching ranks if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 01:44pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I think it's only a matter of time before basketball is run like NCAA softball, where they openly admit that the coaches run the sport.
What, like 20 years ago?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

I'll be more impressed if he also asks for accountability from the coaches and tries to get them to cut their whining back a bit too. Some of 'em are absolutely ridiculous...and some of 'em are getting away with murder also when it comes to yapping at the the officials.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I'll be more impressed if he also asks for accountability from the coaches and tries to get them to cut their whining back a bit too. Some of 'em are absolutely ridiculous...and some of 'em are getting away with murder also when it comes to yapping at the the officials.
I don't work NCAA, so I don't have to deal with those coaches.

Unfortunately, the kids and coaches that I deal with (and millions like them) watch and learn from those coaches. To my mind, THAT's the reason NCAA needs to deal with the coaches.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Unfortunately, the kids and coaches that I deal with (and millions like them) watch and learn from those coaches. To my mind, THAT's the reason NCAA needs to deal with the coaches.
And you can add the NBE coaches and players to that also. Sometimes I think we spend the first 2 weeks of every high school season re-teaching the players and some coaches that what they see on tv and what they got away with in summer ball just ain't gonna fly any more.

And high school football is the same.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you can add the NBE coaches and players to that also. Sometimes I think we spend the first 2 weeks of every high school season re-teaching the players and some coaches that what they see on tv and what they got away with in summer ball just ain't gonna fly any more.

And high school football is the same.
See in my opinion, the coaches are far and above more "behaved" and more technicals are called against coaches who cross the line in the NBA rather than the college level. As far as the players, you're right in that they're allowed to get away with more, but then again, that's true of any professional level vs. amateur.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
See in my opinion, the coaches are far and above more "behaved" and more technicals are called against coaches who cross the line in the NBA rather than the college level.
Never sat in the first couple of rows behind an NBE team bench, have ya? Try it. You might learn some new words.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never sat in the first couple of rows behind an NBE team bench, have ya? Try it. You might learn some new words.
Been there done that haha...I stand by my statement that NBA coaches are better behaved then their NCAA brethren (specfically at the D1 level). I feel safe in saying Coach K wouldn't be getting away with what he does at Duke then at the professional level.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I feel safe in saying Coach K wouldn't be getting away with what he does at Duke then at the professional level.
Good point. And seeing what K gets away with, it's tough to argue that too. Kinda hard imo to be noted as a true champion of sportsmanship when you're whining like a 2-year old over every little call that goes against you.

Talks a good game though....
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Oooh, K bashing. Snaqs should be here any second...