The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I will be the IM supervisor for basketball this year at school. As usual, some of the refs are just there for the money and don't know much about the rules. A perk of the job is getting to sit at the table and keep score, but I will still be reffing some games. My question is: When some refs get calls wrong, use rules wrong, or just do something wrong, should I correct the call or let it go and talk to him/her at another time to avoid making him look bad or angering him?

What are some of your thoughts or experiences in this situation.

I have corrected these guys before, the best thing is doing it when you're playing in the game and not reffing.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

I have corrected these guys before, the best thing is doing it when you're playing in the game and not reffing.
Gotta disagree with that statement. I think that it's the absolutely worst time to do it. If you do that, you just destroyed that official's credibility with those players- probably forever.

Try teaching in private and when you have the time to go back and forth with that official in a positive way. A missed or blown call in an IM game is hardly the end of the world.

Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would hate it if I was working a game at a camp and a clinician came out during the game to correct a call or mechanic. I think I'd feel about 3" tall.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A perk of the job is getting to sit at the table and keep score, but I will still be reffing some games. My question is: When some refs get calls wrong, use rules wrong, or just do something wrong, should I correct the call or let it go and talk to him/her at another time to avoid making him look bad or angering him?
I agree with what some others have already pointed out, that you shouldn't say much during the game. I add only that the "table" is considered part of the officiating crew, and there are a few times when your input may be necessary.

I'd say helping with rules should go OK, but leave everything else alone.

Just remember how you expect the table crew to act when you officiate, and behave accordingly. Anything beyond that should be handled after the game.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Yes i do agree that it would be totally wrong for you to correct them right there during the game.

And to be honest think about if you would watnt to be told right then.

And to be honest I would not say anything unless the conversation came up.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would strongly urge you to hold a pre-season clinic and have your guys/girls all get on the same page. Perhaps you could contact your local association to see if you can hook up with a clinician. At the very least make it a point to evaluate their games and address shortcomings or offer praise where warranted AFTER THE GAMES or HALFTIME but never during the course of the action.

Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is that?

What is an IM Supervisor?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I would hate it if I was working a game at a camp and a clinician came out during the game to correct a call or mechanic. I think I'd feel about 3" tall.
I have not been to camp where someone did not change a mechanic at some point. It might not have happen a lot, but at camp it is kind of a common occurrence.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
"Admonish thy friends in secret, praise them openly."

--Publilius Syrus
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

There's a huge difference between a clinician coming onto the floor during a timeout in a camp setting, and a college-aged IM supervisor coming onto the floor during a game to act as judge, jury and executioner for a ref who missed a call. I have missed plays at camp, and I even kicked a rule at one once, but I've never experienced--personally or as a spectator--a clinician becoming actively involved in a game.

To the new IM supervisor, ask yourself this question: if you were an assignor/supervisor for a NFHS association, and you went to watch a middle school game with inexperienced referees, would you go out and change a call? Not unless you wanted a mutiny on your hands among all of your officials. Don't undermine your officials. If you do the best you can as a teacher and mentor, then that's it. IM basketball players are jerks (I experienced both sides of that in college), and they need to realize what a chore it is just to get games staffed, much less staffed with good officials.

Tell your guys that as long as they are on time and work hard, you'll do your best to help them, and you'll be there to back them up when the time comes. If they know you have their backs, they'll work harder and better for you, which will cost you fewer headaches in the long run.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking There is a reason I asked this question before?

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Rut,

There's a huge difference between a clinician coming onto the floor during a timeout in a camp setting, and a college-aged IM supervisor coming onto the floor during a game to act as judge, jury and executioner for a ref who missed a call. I have missed plays at camp, and I even kicked a rule at one once, but I've never experienced--personally or as a spectator--a clinician becoming actively involved in a game.
What is an IM supervisor?

Peace
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

intra-mural
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is what I was thinking.

Thank you.

I never worked IM games so I personally do not have an opinion either way. Do what you feel is best. If that is what is best, try it.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jul 21st, 2005 at 05:49 PM]
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

As someone that's experienced the intramural sports world on all sides (participant, official, supervisor, trainer of officials), hopefully I can help. I would imagine that your officials are receiving some sort of pre-season training. If not, this is obviously your first step. A good training program should include adequate rules study (the Basketball Rules Fundamentals is a good place to start), classroom and on court instruction, followed by scrimmage games.
During the first few weeks, constructive feedback is essential. Timeouts, halftime and post-game are ideal times to provide feedback. Being their supervisor, it will be natural for them to look to you during the game for answers. It's my opinion that unless there is an obvious rule misinterpretation that affects the outcome of the game, you should not step in. Part of learning to officiate is dealing with missed calls and the results of those calls. Obviously, if your official's or a participant's safety or well-being is at risk then you must take action.
Throughout the season, I send emails to my officials with encouragement, clarifications on situations that have come up as well as case plays (many of which come from this board).
Be prepared to have officials that just don't get it or just don't care. These officials will probably be the ones that end up not getting very many games. Find those officials that have the desire to get better and make sure they do that. I think we'll all agree that the only way to get better is to call more games.
If you want/need training materials or evaluation tools, feel free to email me.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely not, Luke!!

After four years of IM experience, I can tell you that there is NOTHING worse than having an IM ref/supervisor correcting/critiquing/(more often than not) harassing you during an actual game. (a) The ref not playing is often wrong. (b) The other team thinks they're getting f**ked. (c) The refs on the court end up in the middle and feel like sh*t.

That said, if anything is *really* off in a game you're playing, talk about it well after the game, if it's that important. When you're supervising, hold your comments until timeouts or intermissions, as nothing is worse for a newer ref than getting chewed out in front of 15-20 players.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in a fairly similar situation as the supervisor for a local church league. What I have found works for me is to take kind of a middle road between camp clinician and assigner. I talk to my officials a lot during games. But I do it at breaks (half time, time outs, etc.). I will not even react to a missed call or blown rule, let alone step onto the floor to get in the middle of it. However, during a break, when we can talk amongst ourselves, I will ask that official what he/she saw on that play or what the rule is and teach from there. So far this has been well received. You may want to think about that kind of approach. You may need to adapt it however as I would imagine that IM refs and players might react a little more negatively to it.