The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Oooh, K bashing. Snaqs should be here any second...
Sorry to be late, I was off getting some pain medication. (No, Padgett, you can't have any.)

Did I hear someone say Krewshewooski's name?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Oooh, K bashing. Snaqs should be here any second...
Naw...JBDuke?....probably...

I think ol' JB has a warning bell on his computer that goes off when anything anywhere is said on the web that ain't at least 106.7% complimentary of his idol. It's a special software program developed in-house at Dook U and only sold to slavering K sycophants.

It's true, it's true....
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lip Readers Beware ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Never sat in the first couple of rows behind an NBE team bench, have ya? Try it. You might learn some new words.
Hey. That would be like attending a church picnic compared to sitting behind the bench of our big time, Big East, state school, here in the "Land of Steady Habits". He's the highest paid state employee. My tax dollars go toward his salary. With him on television all the time, no wonder people think that we Northeasters are impolite buffoons with no manners.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey. That would be like attending a church picnic compared to sitting behind the bench of our big time, Big East, state school, here in the "Land of Steady Habits". He's the highest paid state employee. My tax dollars go toward his salary. With him on television all the time, no wonder people think that we Northeasters are impolite buffoons with no manners.
And that's the women's coach....
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doubt it....at least doubt that his salary is more than the amount of revenue his program generates.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Potty Mouth Coach ...

Quote:
He's the highest paid state employee. My tax dollars go toward his salary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Doubt it....at least doubt that his salary is more than the amount of revenue his program generates.
Yes. I'm sure that the men's basketball program generates more revenue than his salary, but his salary still comes out of the state's general fund, not the university's athletic department. For 1.6 million a year, which he earns every penny of, maybe he could clean up his language just a little, especially when he, and his team, are on television representing the State of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
i think it's only a matter of time before basketball is run like ncaa softball, where they openly admit that the coaches run the sport.
+1
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the comment about NBA coaches being better behaved than NCAA coaches. I've watched a decent amount of NCAA games this year, and those guys get away with anything they want. Gregg Marshall at Wichita State would have multiple T's if he was an NBA coach, but the NCAA guys usually don't do much about his antics on the sideline.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

It ain't better, it's jes' differnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I agree with the comment about NBA coaches being better behaved than NCAA coaches. I've watched a decent amount of NCAA games this year, and those guys get away with anything they want. Gregg Marshall at Wichita State would have multiple T's if he was an NBA coach, but the NCAA guys usually don't do much about his antics on the sideline.
Utah Jazz coach, Jerry Sloan can't ask for a drink of water without dropping an F-bomb. The officials who work his games know that's the way he talks, and they have to work past it to get his intent whenever he says something. It's amazing what he gets away with.
I know some unsuspecting fans who took their kids to a game, in seats behind the bench, and gave up those seats because of his verbiage.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Utah Jazz coach, Jerry Sloan can't ask for a drink of water without dropping an F-bomb. The officials who work his games know that's the way he talks, and they have to work past it to get his intent whenever he says something. It's amazing what he gets away with.
I know some unsuspecting fans who took their kids to a game, in seats behind the bench, and gave up those seats because of his verbiage.
And as long as people continue to buy tickets, the behavior will continue.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Even if that is true, I've still seen Jerry Sloan both get more technicals and/or ejections for his behavior, then Coach K and it isn't even close.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 12:51pm.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Guth and Barakat were coaches...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, I never said it was. And that was 8 years ago. Who knows what he has been doing behind the scenes to get prepared for this type of job. And we all know that a successful "coach" isn't always one who played the game before at the highest level. If Boyages is surrounding himself with former D1 officials who have been in the fire he can do a good job.

John Guthrie and Fred Barakat came from the coaching ranks if I'm not mistaken.
I think that this will push that league more in the direction of a "game management" league where the officials are talking all night to the coaches.

Fred was really big about talking to coaches. the irony to me is that I think that John Adams is trying to get away from us talking all the time to coaches.

Would like to hear how the more esteemed member (Rut) of our fraternity feels...........
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I think that this will push that league more in the direction of a "game management" league where the officials are talking all night to the coaches.

Fred was really big about talking to coaches. the irony to me is that I think that John Adams is trying to get away from us talking all the time to coaches.

Would like to hear how the more esteemed member (Rut) of our fraternity feels...........

Why would the push be in a different direction than the past 20 years? The guy Boyages is replacing was a former Big 10 coach, with no officiating resume either.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I played ball at a mid major and my senior year we played at Maryland. Sometime during the first half, I remember standing next to coach Williams and his bench waiting to throw the ball in and hearing Williams drop multiple F bombs to one of the refs about a previous play. And when I say multiple I mean every other word.

The next trip down, Williams proceeded with a "Mother Fuc***" while standing on the court and finally got whacked. He took off his jacket, yelled some more and had to be restrained by his assistants. Maryland ended up winning by over 20, but Williams was still barking at the refs during the second half.

I guess if the court is named after you then you sometimes play by a different set of rules

Last edited by Ptflea2; Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 12:40pm.