The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Big 10 -- New supervisor and new evaluation process (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60035-big-10-new-supervisor-new-evaluation-process.html)

Rich Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:12pm

Big 10 -- New supervisor and new evaluation process

UW men's basketball: New officials chief aims for more accountability from referees

Interesting article. Wonder who's not going to be back this season....

GoodwillRef Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27pm

I love it when they put people with no officiating background in charge of officials. :confused:

Bo Ryan likes it that the new supervisor was a coach...really no crap.

Raymond Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 705844)
I love it when they put people with no officiating background in charge of officials. :confused:

Bo Ryan likes it that the new supervisor was a coach...really no crap.

Wow, just read that. Back in my 2nd year of officiating I got to tag along and work an intra-squad scrimmage at W&M when was the HC. I'll say this, he knew the rules and he treated our crew very well. He let it be known that he was very appreciative of our profession.

GoodwillRef Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 705856)
Wow, just read that. Back in my 2nd year of officiating I got to tag along and work an intra-squad scrimmage at W&M when was the HC. I'll say this, he knew the rules and he treated our crew very well. He let it be known that he was very appreciative of our profession.

A coach knowing the rules isn't the same as being in the fire as a Division 1 official.

Rich Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:30pm

I think it's only a matter of time before basketball is run like NCAA softball, where they openly admit that the coaches run the sport.

Raymond Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 705865)
A coach knowing the rules isn't the same as being in the fire as a Division 1 official.

Well, I never said it was. And that was 8 years ago. Who knows what he has been doing behind the scenes to get prepared for this type of job. And we all know that a successful "coach" isn't always one who played the game before at the highest level. If Boyages is surrounding himself with former D1 officials who have been in the fire he can do a good job.

John Guthrie and Fred Barakat came from the coaching ranks if I'm not mistaken.

mbyron Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 705871)
I think it's only a matter of time before basketball is run like NCAA softball, where they openly admit that the coaches run the sport.

What, like 20 years ago? ;)

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:56pm

I'll be more impressed if he also asks for accountability from the coaches and tries to get them to cut their whining back a bit too. Some of 'em are absolutely ridiculous...and some of 'em are getting away with murder also when it comes to yapping at the the officials.

mbyron Tue Dec 07, 2010 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 705888)
I'll be more impressed if he also asks for accountability from the coaches and tries to get them to cut their whining back a bit too. Some of 'em are absolutely ridiculous...and some of 'em are getting away with murder also when it comes to yapping at the the officials.

I don't work NCAA, so I don't have to deal with those coaches.

Unfortunately, the kids and coaches that I deal with (and millions like them) watch and learn from those coaches. To my mind, THAT's the reason NCAA needs to deal with the coaches.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2010 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 705922)
Unfortunately, the kids and coaches that I deal with (and millions like them) watch and learn from those coaches. To my mind, THAT's the reason NCAA needs to deal with the coaches.

And you can add the NBE coaches and players to that also. Sometimes I think we spend the first 2 weeks of every high school season re-teaching the players and some coaches that what they see on tv and what they got away with in summer ball just ain't gonna fly any more.

And high school football is the same.

APG Tue Dec 07, 2010 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 705925)
And you can add the NBE coaches and players to that also. Sometimes I think we spend the first 2 weeks of every high school season re-teaching the players and some coaches that what they see on tv and what they got away with in summer ball just ain't gonna fly any more.

And high school football is the same.

See in my opinion, the coaches are far and above more "behaved" and more technicals are called against coaches who cross the line in the NBA rather than the college level. As far as the players, you're right in that they're allowed to get away with more, but then again, that's true of any professional level vs. amateur.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2010 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 705932)
See in my opinion, the coaches are far and above more "behaved" and more technicals are called against coaches who cross the line in the NBA rather than the college level.

Never sat in the first couple of rows behind an NBE team bench, have ya? Try it. You might learn some new words. :D

APG Tue Dec 07, 2010 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 705952)
Never sat in the first couple of rows behind an NBE team bench, have ya? Try it. You might learn some new words. :D

Been there done that haha...I stand by my statement that NBA coaches are better behaved then their NCAA brethren (specfically at the D1 level). I feel safe in saying Coach K wouldn't be getting away with what he does at Duke then at the professional level. ;)

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2010 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 705959)
I feel safe in saying Coach K wouldn't be getting away with what he does at Duke then at the professional level.

Good point. And seeing what K gets away with, it's tough to argue that too. Kinda hard imo to be noted as a true champion of sportsmanship when you're whining like a 2-year old over every little call that goes against you.

Talks a good game though....:)

mbyron Tue Dec 07, 2010 04:22pm

Oooh, K bashing. Snaqs should be here any second...