The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink I'm getting closer to having heard everything now

8th grade "competitive" girls game last night. Like many teams, one of them had names for some of their plays. These names included "twitter", "facebook", "myspace", "comcast", "burger king" and my personal favorite, "desperate housewives", which was an inbound play involving two screens.

BTW - one of the girls told me they call their coach "Lady Gaga". He's a guy.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

My wife and I have done that over the years this year we have

OOB - Pancake, Waffle, Sausage, Hashbrown
Def - Penguin, Igloo, Iron, Starch
Off - Spots, Rover, Ziggy, TuPac, Slipnot, Smallz, Marley

Previously we have used: Regular, Unleaded and Diesel. Rasta, Raggae Rainbow and Square Dance.
Believe it or not most of them are named the way they are to trigger the ladies to remember. For instance 2 of our endline OOB plays have a player on each block and a player in each corner 3. In "PANCAKE" the posts flip and the corner people go high. Just like you would "flip and stack" Pancakes. In WAFFLE the post players screen out for the corner players. The BALL side corner cuts straight across while the weakside player goes to the FT line then sneaks to the ball side block. Just like a waffle is "Empty in the Middle" until you spread the BUTTER (balls side) and pour the SYRUP (sneak) in to the middle.
Finally, on TuPac we run a 1-4 high set. the 2 posts go low then pop high. So 2 POP, which sounds like 2Pac....it actually makes it easier for the players to remember.
Ok, wow that was a longer post then I intended HA.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

R Rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
My wife and I have done that over the years this year we have

OOB - Pancake, Waffle, Sausage, Hashbrown
Def - Penguin, Igloo, Iron, Starch
Off - Spots, Rover, Ziggy, TuPac, Slipnot, Smallz, Marley

Previously we have used: Regular, Unleaded and Diesel. Rasta, Raggae Rainbow and Square Dance.
Believe it or not most of them are named the way they are to trigger the ladies to remember. For instance 2 of our endline OOB plays have a player on each block and a player in each corner 3. In "PANCAKE" the posts flip and the corner people go high. Just like you would "flip and stack" Pancakes. In WAFFLE the post players screen out for the corner players. The BALL side corner cuts straight across while the weakside player goes to the FT line then sneaks to the ball side block. Just like a waffle is "Empty in the Middle" until you spread the BUTTER (balls side) and pour the SYRUP (sneak) in to the middle.
Finally, on TuPac we run a 1-4 high set. the 2 posts go low then pop high. So 2 POP, which sounds like 2Pac....it actually makes it easier for the players to remember.
Ok, wow that was a longer post then I intended HA.
This is a public discussion board - you never know what little eyes might be peering in...what you and your wife do, and what you call them really doesn't belong here!!!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:56pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Well, so is Lady Gaga. At least, that's what I've heard.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Those are great, Mark. All new to me.

Reminds me that there is a local girls team that has a set offense play called "sponge bob".

Last edited by DLH17; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 02:45pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Had a partner tell me about a previous game with a bunch of spoiled eighth-graders. They kept calling the play "Refusuck." But apparently they weren't very good. Even though they kept calling it, they never ran it the same way twice.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
This is a public discussion board - you never know what little eyes might be peering in...what you and your wife do, and what you call them really doesn't belong here!!!
That is why there is no YouTube link posted!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 02:54pm
Administrator

Let me set the stage for this true story. Bernie Kosar, a beloved sports icon in Cleveland, had been released from the Browns by the muched reviled Bill Belichick in mid-November 1993; the only person who is more reviled that Bill Belichick is Art Modell and I have basketball story about him too.

Fast forward to July 1994. The AAU Girls' 16U and 18U National Basketbll Championships are in Cleveland, Ohio. My first game of the tournament is an 18U game between the qualifier from the Lake Erie Association and a team who I do not remember, but could if I wanted to go up in the attic and dig out my hand written diary for 1994 (we didn't have a computer yet in 1994). The Lake Erie Association covers all of NE Ohio.

Early in the first half the team from Lake Erie had requested and been granted a timeout after its opponent (which had been pressing from the beginning of the game) had just scored. After the timeout, LEA1 took her position out of bounds on the endline while LEA2, LEA3, LEA4, and LEA4 lined up across the court along their oppenents free throw line exteded. As soon as LEA1 received the ball from me she slapped the ball and yelled KOSAR at which all four of her teammates broke down field (opps, I mean court) with the two out side players running corner routes and the two inside players running post routes. The pass was intercepted which enabled the opponents to eventually settle for a FG. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
the only person who is more reviled that Bill Belichick is Art Modell

LeBron has passed Belichick to move into 2nd place.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 07:22pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
8th grade "competitive" girls game last night. Like many teams, one of them had names for some of their plays. These names included "twitter", "facebook", "myspace", "comcast", "burger king" and my personal favorite, "desperate housewives", which was an inbound play involving two screens.

At our CYO JV (Grades 4-6) Boys game this past weekend, the opposing team had an offense called Jedi.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:41pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Had a partner tell me about a previous game with a bunch of spoiled eighth-graders. They kept calling the play "Refusuck." But apparently they weren't very good. Even though they kept calling it, they never ran it the same way twice.
Well, it should be defending an inbound pass of the opponent opposite the table at the division line......how many ways are there to defend THAT?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
At our CYO JV (Grades 4-6) Boys game this past weekend, the opposing team had an offense called Jedi.
This is not the ball you're looking for. . .
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 11:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
LeBron has passed Belichick to move into 2nd place.

If he hasn't passed Belichick he is a close 3rd.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Don't knock The Rock

I guess I must be rapidly aging, because I thought dumping Rocky Colavito made Frank "Trader" Lane a pretty solid No. 1 until Modell sleezed out of town, and that the Gund brothers were in Belichick's class