The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I'm getting closer to having heard everything now (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60034-im-getting-closer-having-heard-everything-now.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10pm

I'm getting closer to having heard everything now

8th grade "competitive" girls game last night. Like many teams, one of them had names for some of their plays. These names included "twitter", "facebook", "myspace", "comcast", "burger king" and my personal favorite, "desperate housewives", which was an inbound play involving two screens.

BTW - one of the girls told me they call their coach "Lady Gaga". He's a guy.

Judtech Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22pm

My wife and I have done that over the years this year we have

OOB - Pancake, Waffle, Sausage, Hashbrown
Def - Penguin, Igloo, Iron, Starch
Off - Spots, Rover, Ziggy, TuPac, Slipnot, Smallz, Marley

Previously we have used: Regular, Unleaded and Diesel. Rasta, Raggae Rainbow and Square Dance.
Believe it or not most of them are named the way they are to trigger the ladies to remember. For instance 2 of our endline OOB plays have a player on each block and a player in each corner 3. In "PANCAKE" the posts flip and the corner people go high. Just like you would "flip and stack" Pancakes. In WAFFLE the post players screen out for the corner players. The BALL side corner cuts straight across while the weakside player goes to the FT line then sneaks to the ball side block. Just like a waffle is "Empty in the Middle" until you spread the BUTTER (balls side) and pour the SYRUP (sneak) in to the middle.
Finally, on TuPac we run a 1-4 high set. the 2 posts go low then pop high. So 2 POP, which sounds like 2Pac....it actually makes it easier for the players to remember.
Ok, wow that was a longer post then I intended HA.

Scuba_ref Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:52pm

R Rated?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 705842)
My wife and I have done that over the years this year we have

OOB - Pancake, Waffle, Sausage, Hashbrown
Def - Penguin, Igloo, Iron, Starch
Off - Spots, Rover, Ziggy, TuPac, Slipnot, Smallz, Marley

Previously we have used: Regular, Unleaded and Diesel. Rasta, Raggae Rainbow and Square Dance.
Believe it or not most of them are named the way they are to trigger the ladies to remember. For instance 2 of our endline OOB plays have a player on each block and a player in each corner 3. In "PANCAKE" the posts flip and the corner people go high. Just like you would "flip and stack" Pancakes. In WAFFLE the post players screen out for the corner players. The BALL side corner cuts straight across while the weakside player goes to the FT line then sneaks to the ball side block. Just like a waffle is "Empty in the Middle" until you spread the BUTTER (balls side) and pour the SYRUP (sneak) in to the middle.
Finally, on TuPac we run a 1-4 high set. the 2 posts go low then pop high. So 2 POP, which sounds like 2Pac....it actually makes it easier for the players to remember.
Ok, wow that was a longer post then I intended HA.

This is a public discussion board - you never know what little eyes might be peering in...what you and your wife do, and what you call them really doesn't belong here!!!:p

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 705837)

Well, so is Lady Gaga. At least, that's what I've heard.

DLH17 Tue Dec 07, 2010 01:22pm

Those are great, Mark. All new to me.

Reminds me that there is a local girls team that has a set offense play called "sponge bob".

Amesman Tue Dec 07, 2010 02:14pm

Had a partner tell me about a previous game with a bunch of spoiled eighth-graders. They kept calling the play "Refusuck." But apparently they weren't very good. Even though they kept calling it, they never ran it the same way twice.

Judtech Tue Dec 07, 2010 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 705849)
This is a public discussion board - you never know what little eyes might be peering in...what you and your wife do, and what you call them really doesn't belong here!!!:p

That is why there is no YouTube link posted!:eek:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 07, 2010 02:54pm

Let me set the stage for this true story. Bernie Kosar, a beloved sports icon in Cleveland, had been released from the Browns by the muched reviled Bill Belichick in mid-November 1993; the only person who is more reviled that Bill Belichick is Art Modell and I have basketball story about him too.

Fast forward to July 1994. The AAU Girls' 16U and 18U National Basketbll Championships are in Cleveland, Ohio. My first game of the tournament is an 18U game between the qualifier from the Lake Erie Association and a team who I do not remember, but could if I wanted to go up in the attic and dig out my hand written diary for 1994 (we didn't have a computer yet in 1994). The Lake Erie Association covers all of NE Ohio.

Early in the first half the team from Lake Erie had requested and been granted a timeout after its opponent (which had been pressing from the beginning of the game) had just scored. After the timeout, LEA1 took her position out of bounds on the endline while LEA2, LEA3, LEA4, and LEA4 lined up across the court along their oppenents free throw line exteded. As soon as LEA1 received the ball from me she slapped the ball and yelled KOSAR at which all four of her teammates broke down field (opps, I mean court) with the two out side players running corner routes and the two inside players running post routes. The pass was intercepted which enabled the opponents to eventually settle for a FG. LOL

MTD, Sr.

Forksref Tue Dec 07, 2010 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 705928)
the only person who is more reviled that Bill Belichick is Art Modell

LeBron has passed Belichick to move into 2nd place.

Stat-Man Tue Dec 07, 2010 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 705837)
8th grade "competitive" girls game last night. Like many teams, one of them had names for some of their plays. These names included "twitter", "facebook", "myspace", "comcast", "burger king" and my personal favorite, "desperate housewives", which was an inbound play involving two screens.

At our CYO JV (Grades 4-6) Boys game this past weekend, the opposing team had an offense called Jedi.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 705897)
Had a partner tell me about a previous game with a bunch of spoiled eighth-graders. They kept calling the play "Refusuck." But apparently they weren't very good. Even though they kept calling it, they never ran it the same way twice.

Well, it should be defending an inbound pass of the opponent opposite the table at the division line......how many ways are there to defend THAT?

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 706014)
At our CYO JV (Grades 4-6) Boys game this past weekend, the opposing team had an offense called Jedi.

This is not the ball you're looking for. . .

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 705964)
LeBron has passed Belichick to move into 2nd place.

If he hasn't passed Belichick he is a close 3rd.

MTD, Sr.

amusedofficial Wed Dec 08, 2010 06:45am

Don't knock The Rock

I guess I must be rapidly aging, because I thought dumping Rocky Colavito made Frank "Trader" Lane a pretty solid No. 1 until Modell sleezed out of town, and that the Gund brothers were in Belichick's class