The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You're reading way too much into this rule.
I maintain I'm reading less into it than the other side.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 08:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I maintain I'm reading less into it than the other side.
Naw, you're adding something to the rule that isn't in it anywhere...and what you're adding is intent. We're at the "repeating the same thing over and over" stage though. Time to let 'er go.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 08:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Maybe so in the context of dribbling. If that is what you meant, fine.

But intent is all over the rules: intentional fouls (fouls "designed" to stop the clok), shooting or not when a foul is called but the ball never leaves the player's hands, kicking the ball, slapping the backboard (attempt, even a poor attempt, to block a shot or not), contact that might be considered flagrant (or just aggressively clumsy), etc.
Dribbling...and specifically an interrupted dribble... was exactly the context that I was referring to. Agree of course that intent is certainly meaningful in other areas of the rules.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I had this play the other night in an 8th grade game. Rebounder gets the ball and begins his dribble parallel to the endline. His momentum is going to carry him out of bounds, so he let's the ball continue to bounce in bounds. He gets a foot back in bounds and continues the dribble with one hand, did not catch the ball. Picked up his dribble on a bounce. I had no violation. He did not have control of the ball while OOB. Established his inbounds position with one foot and continued dribble, so no double dribble, either.

Separate question...if the player had caught the ball in the above situation and then continued his dribble, would you have double dribble? I would have called it.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
I had this play the other night in an 8th grade game. Rebounder gets the ball and begins his dribble parallel to the endline. His momentum is going to carry him out of bounds, so he let's the ball continue to bounce in bounds. He gets a foot back in bounds and continues the dribble with one hand, did not catch the ball. Picked up his dribble on a bounce. I had no violation. He did not have control of the ball while OOB. Established his inbounds position with one foot and continued dribble, so no double dribble, either.

Separate question...if the player had caught the ball in the above situation and then continued his dribble, would you have double dribble? I would have called it.
Absolutely would have been. Great no-call.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post

Regardless of whether you consider it an interrupted dribble or not, it ends when A1 catches the ball. If A1 starts another dribble, it will be an illegal dribble.