The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:15am
I miss being on the floor

FT Disconcertion

Had this happen tonight and wanted to get everyone's opinions on it.

Less than a minute to go in the 4th quarter, the outcome of the game is not in doubt.

A1 is on the free throw line with two shots coming. During the first shot, B1 is lined up in the first lane space. She's clapping her hands and saying "Come on Knights (oddly enough both teams were the Knights)". After the first shot, which A1 made, I grab the ball (as the lead, administering the FTs), and before I give it back to the shooter, say to B1 "I know what you're doing and I want you to stop it".

After I bounce the ball to the shooter for the second shot, B1 is now waving to the crowd, trying to incite crowd noise. A1 made the second shot and away we went.

I could have awarded a substitute free throw if A1 missed the second shot, but are there grounds for an unsporting tech here?
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

You might try telling her, "Please encourage your teammates before the shooter gets the ball and be quiet after that."

Certainly could deem her actions disconcertion for the clapping and needless chatter, but I wouldn't consider this unsporting conduct and worthy of a T.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 07:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tim Donaghy's Worst Nightmare ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Both teams were the Knights.
I got twenty bucks that says the Knights win.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 09:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You might try telling her, "Please encourage your teammates before the shooter gets the ball and be quiet after that."

Certainly could deem her actions disconcertion for the clapping and needless chatter, but I wouldn't consider this unsporting conduct and worthy of a T.
Agreed. I talk to em too and have never whacked anyone for this. I have called disconcertion several times though.

I even went so far in an older boys rec game once, before the second shot, to ask the offender, "All right, who has the shooter?"

He said, "I do."

I said, "Good, now, no more chatter. Got it?" He understood my point.

I wouldn't of course do that in a V game though, it was situational.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I even went so far in an older boys rec game once, before the second shot, to ask the offender, "All right, who has the shooter?"

He said, "I do."

I said, "Good, now, no more chatter. Got it?" He understood my point.

I wouldn't of course do that in a V game though, it was situational.
I've done this in JV games. It worked.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 10:50am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like a great idea.

btw I wonder who is next on the Quote Parade....
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 11:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
A1 is on the free throw line with two shots coming. During the first shot, B1 is lined up in the first lane space. She's clapping her hands and saying "Come on Knights (oddly enough both teams were the Knights)". After the first shot, which A1 made, I grab the ball (as the lead, administering the FTs), and before I give it back to the shooter, say to B1 "I know what you're doing and I want you to stop it".
Why not just tell her that she can't do it anymore without being so contentious?
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Countdown ...

Similar topic. Boys varsity scrimmage yesterday. During a spot throwin defensive player yells at the throwiner (is this a real word?), "Three, Four, Five". He does this a few times. I'm thinking to myself, "Knock it off". After the period ends opposing coach asks me if this is illegal. I reply that this act, like "Dead, Dead, Dead", and "Ball, Ball, Ball", really isn't against the rules, unless it gets way, way, way, out of hand. He accepts my explanation.

A few periods later we see the same team and same player using the same tactics. Remember now, it's only a scrimmage. So I decide to blow my whistle and go over to quietly talk to the player. "Son. I really wish that you would stop doing that. I'm sure that, technically, it's not against the rules, but at some point it may become unsporting, or may try to influence my count, so please stop doing that". Kid says "No problem". His coach asks for an explanation, which I give, to which he replies, "OK. No problem".

Don't you just love stories with happy endings? No technical fouls, just a bunch of kids playing basketball in a gym on a cold Saturday afternoon. Just the way God, and Dr. Naismith, intended it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 11:50am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Similar topic. Boys varsity scrimmage yesterday. During a spot throwin defensive player yells at the throwiner (is this a real word?), "Three, Four, Five". He does this a few times. I'm thinking to myself, "Knock it off". After the period ends opposing coach asks me if this is illegal. I reply that this act, like "Dead, Dead, Dead", and "Ball, Ball, Ball", really isn't against the rules, unless it gets way, way, way, out of hand. He accepts my explanation.

A few periods later we see the same team and same player using the same tactics. Remember now, it's only a scrimmage. So I decide to blow my whistle and go over to quietly talk to the player. "Son. I really wish that you would stop doing that. I'm sure that, technically, it's not against the rules, but at some point it may become unsporting, or may try to influence my count, so please stop doing that". Kid says "No problem". His coach asks for an explanation, which I give, to which he replies, "OK. No problem".

Don't you just love stories with happy endings? No technical fouls, just a bunch of kids playing basketball in a gym on a cold Saturday afternoon. Just the way God intended it.
Had this last summer. I simply went to the coach and let him know that I would be the one to count, not his player. He told the player to stop doing it, and we had no further issues with it.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:05pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why not just tell her that she can't do it anymore without being so contentious?
I didn't think this was contentious. I could have said, "Hey, 55. Shut up!". Instead, I said it quietly to her, so that her and maybe the player next to her heard it.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 07:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I didn't think this was contentious. I could have said, "Hey, 55. Shut up!". Instead, I said it quietly to her, so that her and maybe the player next to her heard it.
Or you could have said "no talking when shooter has the ball" for all along the lane to hear.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Or you could have said "no talking when shooter has the ball" for all along the lane to hear.
Or even, "Chear all you want before your shooter gets the ball." Emphasize "before" when you say it.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And we're back to GOLF again
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ditto. Got a dirty look from the player doing it, but it stopped.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
And we're back to GOLF again
No, because I'm not policing the gallery; only the other golfers.