The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

do any of you ever have any problems with disconcertion during freethrows??? what is the best way to deal with it when the opposing team is doing things like: asking defensive assignments to each other, all raising their arms at the same time just before the shot, etc... you know what they are doing, but how can you be sure enough to where you can give the shooter another shot for it???
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
From the NCAA rulebook, 9-1 A.R. 2:

The ball is at the disposal of free-thrower A1. B1, within the visual field of A1, (a) raises the arms above the head, or (b) after the arms have been extended above the head, alternately opens and closes both hands. RULING: When the official judges the act in either (a) or (b) to be disconcerting, the official shall assess a penalty. The burden not to disconcert shall be that of the free-throwerÂ’s opponents.

Hope that helps!
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
J, if the defense is talking in normal voices about defensive assignments, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if they're yelling (especially right as the shooter is going to release the ball), or if they're gesturing anywhere near the shooter's line of vision, it's a violation.

You can also try to talk them out of it if it's borderline. First time the hands come up, you can say, "Guys, if you distract him, he'll get another freebie." That usually puts a stop to it. If it's obvious, tho, call it right away. That also usually puts a stop to it.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:55 AM]
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
J, if the defense is talking in normal voices about defensive assignments, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if they're yelling (especially right as the shooter is going to release the ball), or if they're gesturing anywhere near the shooter's line of vision, it's a violation.

You can also try to talk them out of it if it's borderline. First time the hands come up, you can say, "Guys, if you distract him, he'll another freebie." That usually puts a stop to it. If it's obvious, tho, call it right away. That also usually puts a stop to it.
Do any of the players ask for a translation when you say that?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I've also used tactics like (before bouncing the ball to the thrower, and what you describe above has happened earlier in the game, "Ok gentlemen/ladies, if you have anything to say to each other say it now before I give him/her the ball. Thank you. Ok, one shot, etc. Or, if you're going to put your arms up, do so now before I give him/her the ball. Thank you. One shot, etc." It never ceases to amaze me how that seems to stop the situation from reoccurring.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've noticed alot more of it in the HS fall leagues. "I've got the shooter, who's got who, man-up, raising their hands, etc" Also, alot of the girls played summer AAU and now they're struggling with waiting for a hit before coming into the lane.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I believe a little preventative officiating does the trick in most cases...just mention it pre-game, and the first time you see it as a 'polite' warning, and you'll not have a problem.

However, I agree, if its obvious, you must call it...that DEFINITELY stops it.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
What I do is after I bounce the ball a couple of times before I pass it to the free thrower, I will say something like "quiet on the set", they kind of smile and keep their traps shut.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
What I do is after I bounce the ball a couple of times before I pass it to the free thrower, I will say something like "quiet on the set", they kind of smile and keep their traps shut.
I like it, mind if I steal it?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I like it, mind if I steal it?
By all means, use it!