The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

When you bounce the ball to the free thrower, what happens if another player on the lane line moves before the shooter gets the ball.

Do you have a violation? Do you just reload or do you not do anything if the player is gone (not in violation) when the ball is caught by the shooter.

I've been kicking this around today with a friend wo works some small college. The conversation came to live ball dead ball. NF books say the ball becomes live when it becomes at the disposal of the shooter which I think we'll all agree means he just caught your pass.

I believe any movement prior doesnt matter however we agreed that we would reload with no violation if it looked real bad and if necessary explain dead ball to the coach.

What do you think...reload? Violation?

If you reload...do you warn for delay of game if you get this a 2nd time in the same game?

Please answer NF and NCAA on how you would handle.

Larks
VIT
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Case book 9-1: Comment... reads in part, "a team forfeits its right to any space not occupied before the FT starts (when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower). Once a free throw starts, .... No player may enter OR LEAVE a marked lane space AFTER the ball is PLACED AT THE DISPOSAL of the free thrower until the restrictions have ended as outlined.

I would say it becomes your judgement, as the administrating official, as to whether you want to call this a violation. IMO, it is based on the level of play you are working.

Call it once and it should reduce the possibility of it occuring again (in that game) .

Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 01:33am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Once the shooter has the ball, I would call a violation if a player leaves his lane line position, or rule disconcertation if any other movement appears to affect the shooter.

If a player(s) moves just as I'm bouncing the ball to the shooter, then I ask for the ball back and make sure everyone is ready. If a team appears to be doing this purposely, the ice the shooter, I will start to clamp down and say that everyone is now set... do not move... then bounce the ball.

Mike
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

I would say it becomes your judgement, as the administrating official, as to whether you want to call this a violation. IMO, it is based on the level of play you are working.

Willie,
The only thing that the official needs to judge is whether or not the player in the marked lane-space entered or left that space before or after the free thrower caught the ball. If the movement is before the catch, by rule, this is NOT a violation. Check out 4-4-7b and 8.1.1A as both confirm that the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower and becomes live when it is caught. Since the restrictions for players on the lane start "[a]fter the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower," there is no violation if a player leaves as the ball is bounced to the free thrower.
Larks,
If you wish to "reload" fine. Personally, I do not since the play was legal.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

NevadaRef

Based on your comments, I believe we are in agreement on this... that is why I capitalized AFTER in the wording... I like Juggler's approach of "reloading" and clamping down if the movement appears to be a consistent effort to "ice the shooter"

Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Once the shooter has the ball, I would call a violation if a player leaves his lane line position, or rule disconcertation if any other movement appears to affect the shooter.

If a player(s) moves just as I'm bouncing the ball to the shooter, then I ask for the ball back and make sure everyone is ready. If a team appears to be doing this purposely, the ice the shooter, I will start to clamp down and say that everyone is now set... do not move... then bounce the ball.

Mike
I agree. I allow plenty of time for the players to get set for the free throw. I'm OK with one or two "reloads" during a game if I think they were not intentional. Any more than that, intentional or not, and I'm going to get irritated and deal with it.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 11:36am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

When the ball touches a player in the front court, the ball is in the front court.
No player touched the spinning ball in the back court, thus the momentary back court status of the ball is irrelevant in this play.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question Senior member has senior moment

Mick
What the heck are you doing - having fun or posting random thoughts on the wrong threads? Enlighten me please
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Wrong thread Mick

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
When the ball touches a player in the front court, the ball is in the front court.
No player touched the spinning ball in the back court, thus the momentary back court status of the ball is irrelevant in this play.
Your response is contrary to the casebook.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 05:08pm
In Memoriam

Coach and Willie.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Mick
What the heck are you doing - having fun or posting random thoughts on the wrong threads? Enlighten me please

Dunno.
I guess I've entered the twilight years zone.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Coach and Willie.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Mick

Dunno.
I guess I've entered the twilight years zone.
Must be brown pop time!