The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Struggling with 2 NFHS exam questions.....

Hi All, I am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago I began saving all of my tests and answers along with the Rule/Section/Article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say T/F but rather a rule siting or which book I should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as I have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (I have never thought of this situation, nor can I remember it happening in a game.... and cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (I know this is True, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

Again, thanks for any help you can provide me.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

See rule 9-2-9
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Hi All, I am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago I began saving all of my tests and answers along with the Rule/Section/Article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say T/F but rather a rule siting or which book I should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as I have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (I have never thought of this situation, nor can I remember it happening in a game.... and cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (I know this is True, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

Again, thanks for any help you can provide me.

1. 9-2-11
2. 7-5-7a
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. 9-2-11
2. 7-5-7a
Yeah, and what he said.

Sidenote ... how do you add the lil sayings at the bottom of your posts? Anyone? ... Anyone?

Last edited by PG_Ref; Thu Dec 02, 2010 at 12:24pm.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington View Post
hi all, i am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago i began saving all of my tests and answers along with the rule/section/article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say t/f but rather a rule siting or which book i should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as i have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (i have never thought of this situation, nor can i remember it happening in a game.... And cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by a1 following a goal, a2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (i know this is true, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

again, thanks for any help you can provide me.
1 t
2 t
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Yeah, and what he said.

Sidenote ... how do you add the lil sayings at the bottom of your posts? Anyone? ... Anyone?
Click on "User CP" towards the top of the screen. Then, on the left, you see a link for "edit signature."
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Click on "User CP" towards the top of the screen. Then, on the left, you see a link for "edit signature."
The marvels of science ... thanx
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

And as usual they have some crazy questions on the nfhs part 2 test this year! Very long questions like, all of these are true except, blah blah blah...and all of these are duties except, blah blah blah....definitely have to know all the little stuff!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I kicked one last night on this topic.

I handed a spot throw-in to a player, who in turn handed the ball to a teammate who had just run over next to him on the endline. The ball was thrown in within 5 sec, but of course still a violation.

I even heard the coach say..."can you do that?".
I realized seconds later, but felt it was too late to whistle.

Lesson learned.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
See rule 9-2-9
Guys, Thanks for your help but I am still struggling with this one. Both rule 9-2-9 and 9-2-11 seem to refer to the same team, not the opponent. The question says "no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds." It makes me wonder if the defense can be out of bounds.......making this answer false????

Sorry I am being so ticky-tack. Just want to make sure I am able to apply this rule properly.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Guys, Thanks for your help but I am still struggling with this one. Both rule 9-2-9 and 9-2-11 seem to refer to the same team, not the opponent. The question says "no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds." It makes me wonder if the defense can be out of bounds.......making this answer false????

Sorry I am being so ticky-tack. Just want to make sure I am able to apply this rule properly.
9-2-10
Also, 9-3-3 covers the other three OOB lines.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

On a designated spot throw in, if the defender is defending the throw in and ends up OOB, you would have a plane violation/delay of game warning.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
9-2-10
Also, 9-3-3 covers the other three OOB lines.
Thanks Snaqwells (and others) !!!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 06:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Yeah, I kicked one last night on this topic.

I handed a spot throw-in to a player, who in turn handed the ball to a teammate who had just run over next to him on the endline. The ball was thrown in within 5 sec, but of course still a violation.

I even heard the coach say..."can you do that?".
I realized seconds later, but felt it was too late to whistle.

Lesson learned.
Those kinds of things happen. But they usually won't happen again. Kicked calls are like a tape loop in your brain sometimes.