The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Struggling with 2 NFHS exam questions..... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59963-struggling-2-nfhs-exam-questions.html)

Remington Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58am

Struggling with 2 NFHS exam questions.....

Hi All, I am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago I began saving all of my tests and answers along with the Rule/Section/Article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say T/F but rather a rule siting or which book I should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as I have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (I have never thought of this situation, nor can I remember it happening in a game.... and cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (I know this is True, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

Again, thanks for any help you can provide me.

PG_Ref Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13pm

See rule 9-2-9

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 704652)
Hi All, I am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago I began saving all of my tests and answers along with the Rule/Section/Article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say T/F but rather a rule siting or which book I should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as I have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (I have never thought of this situation, nor can I remember it happening in a game.... and cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by A1 following a goal, A2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (I know this is True, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

Again, thanks for any help you can provide me.

1. 9-2-11
2. 7-5-7a

PG_Ref Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 704658)
1. 9-2-11
2. 7-5-7a

Yeah, and what he said.

Sidenote ... how do you add the lil sayings at the bottom of your posts? Anyone? ... Anyone?

jeffpea Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by remington (Post 704652)
hi all, i am really struggling with 2 questions this year. About 7 years ago i began saving all of my tests and answers along with the rule/section/article for each question to use as a reference point and cannot find either one of these in my old exams. I am not looking for someone to come out and say t/f but rather a rule siting or which book i should be looking in. I will gladly return the favor as i have 48 of my 50 completed. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

1. Once a designated spot throw-in begins, no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds. (i have never thought of this situation, nor can i remember it happening in a game.... And cannot find a rule reference).

2. No violation occurs when during a throw-in by a1 following a goal, a2 goes out of bounds to receive a pass and attempt the throw-in. (i know this is true, but again cannot find a specific citing in the book)

again, thanks for any help you can provide me.

1 t
2 t

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 704662)
Yeah, and what he said.

Sidenote ... how do you add the lil sayings at the bottom of your posts? Anyone? ... Anyone?

Click on "User CP" towards the top of the screen. Then, on the left, you see a link for "edit signature."

PG_Ref Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 704674)
Click on "User CP" towards the top of the screen. Then, on the left, you see a link for "edit signature."

The marvels of science ... thanx

jritchie Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57pm

And as usual they have some crazy questions on the nfhs part 2 test this year! Very long questions like, all of these are true except, blah blah blah...and all of these are duties except, blah blah blah....definitely have to know all the little stuff!

MelbRef Thu Dec 02, 2010 01:11pm

Yeah, I kicked one last night on this topic.

I handed a spot throw-in to a player, who in turn handed the ball to a teammate who had just run over next to him on the endline. The ball was thrown in within 5 sec, but of course still a violation.

I even heard the coach say..."can you do that?".
I realized seconds later, but felt it was too late to whistle.

Lesson learned.

Remington Thu Dec 02, 2010 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 704657)
See rule 9-2-9

Guys, Thanks for your help but I am still struggling with this one. Both rule 9-2-9 and 9-2-11 seem to refer to the same team, not the opponent. The question says "no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds." It makes me wonder if the defense can be out of bounds.......making this answer false????

Sorry I am being so ticky-tack. Just want to make sure I am able to apply this rule properly.

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2010 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 704757)
Guys, Thanks for your help but I am still struggling with this one. Both rule 9-2-9 and 9-2-11 seem to refer to the same team, not the opponent. The question says "no player other than the thrower may be out-of-bounds." It makes me wonder if the defense can be out of bounds.......making this answer false????

Sorry I am being so ticky-tack. Just want to make sure I am able to apply this rule properly.

9-2-10
Also, 9-3-3 covers the other three OOB lines.

PG_Ref Thu Dec 02, 2010 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 704757)

On a designated spot throw in, if the defender is defending the throw in and ends up OOB, you would have a plane violation/delay of game warning.

Remington Thu Dec 02, 2010 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 704761)
9-2-10
Also, 9-3-3 covers the other three OOB lines.

Thanks Snaqwells (and others) !!!

26 Year Gap Thu Dec 02, 2010 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 704689)
Yeah, I kicked one last night on this topic.

I handed a spot throw-in to a player, who in turn handed the ball to a teammate who had just run over next to him on the endline. The ball was thrown in within 5 sec, but of course still a violation.

I even heard the coach say..."can you do that?".
I realized seconds later, but felt it was too late to whistle.

Lesson learned.

Those kinds of things happen. But they usually won't happen again. Kicked calls are like a tape loop in your brain sometimes.