The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question on goaltending situation

I am doing some studying and in the 2010-2011 high school basketball rules simplified and illustrated there is an example on rule 7-5-7 that is confusing me. They have Team A jumping and attempting a lay up. The ball is caught on the way down by Team B causing a goaltending. But the airborne shooter comes down on another Team B player, who has proper defensive position causing a player control foul. They are awarding the score for Team A and then giving the ball to Team B on the endline with the allowence to run the baseline.

My question is why was the goal awarded to team A. Wouldn't the player control foul eliminate it? Or is because the ball was dead on the goaltend and then the foul happens?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

4.19.6 SITUATION A: B1 obtains a legal position in A1’s path before A1 becomes airborne. A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. Before returning to the floor, airborne shooter A1 charges into B1. (a) Before the foul by A1, B2 commits basket interference; or (b) after the foul on A1, B2 slaps the ball on its downward flight. RULING: In (a), both the violation and the foul are penalized.The basket interference by B2 causes the ball to become dead immediately. The violation is penalized by awarding the two points. The player-control foul on A1 is also charged. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. A defensive-goaltending or basket-interference violation committed prior to a player-control foul does not contradict the general statement that when a playercontrol foul occurs that player cannot score. In the case of a defensive violation, it is the violation which results in awarding the score. In (b), the ball becomes dead and the try ends immediately when the player-control foul on A1 occurs. The action of B2 is ignored as goaltending cannot occur after the try has ended. Theball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in from a designated spot out of bounds closest to where the foul occurred. (4-12-1; 6-7-4; 6-7-9 Exception; 7-5-4a; 9-11)
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

sweet thank you very much! I guess I should have cross refernced it with the rule book. But it stuck out to me and I was just wandering.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
But it stuck out to me and I was just wandering.
Dont wander... make confident, purposeful movements! lol