The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 06:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
TIME-OUTS. The proper granting of time-outs continues to be of great concern. During live-ball situations, it is imperative that officials ensure player control before granting a time-out. Additionally, officials must ensure that the time-out request is coming from a player or the head coach of the team in control. Coaches must realize that officials have other responsibilities to the game that require their immediate attention. As a result, coaches must understand that just because a time-out was requested does not mean that a time-out will be granted. During loose-ball situations, when there is doubt as to which player has obtained control, officials should not grant a time-out, but rather rule a held ball.
Cool!!!

Now cut'n'paste:
1) POE #4 from the 2003-04 rule book
2) POE # 2A from the 2004-05 rule book
and..
3)POE 3A from the 2006-07 rule book

Then put 'em all in a binder and give 'em to your interpreter.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ensure Player Control Before Granting A Time Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Then put 'em all in a binder and give 'em to your interpreter.
Hey? Our interpreter didn't officiate that UCONN-Syracuse game. He knows how we are supposed to do it, he just wants to make sure that all 300 of us are on the same page. Our newer members don't have access to earlier NFHS Points of Emphasis regarding timeouts.

Observe Player Control, Observe Request, Grant: Incorrect
Observe Player Control, Observe Request, Observe Player Control, Grant: Correct
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2010 at 07:22pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Decided To Add The B ...

Quote:
POE # 2A from the 2004-05 rule book
Time-out administration.
A. Coaches calling. Coaches must understand that just because they've requested a timeout doesn't guarantee it will be granted. Remember, only the head coach may legally request a timeout from the bench. Officials must be sure that the head coach is making the request. That is best done by hearing the coach, then visually confirming the request by seeing the coach request the timeout. Too often officials use sound only, later to discover the time out request was from someone other than the head coach.
B. Player control. The committee is still concerned that officials are granting timeouts while the ball is loose and not in player control. Over the years, an officiating philosophy has developed that teaches officials to grant loose ball timeouts quickly to avoid rough play and stop additional players from diving onto the loose ball pile. While preventing rough play is desirable, that concept cannot supersede the basic rule that a player must be in control of the ball in order for a timeout to be legally granted. When in doubt, do not grant the timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey? Our interpreter didn't officiate that UCONN-Syracuse game. He knows how we are supposed to do it, he just wants to make sure that all 300 of us are on the same page. Our newer members don't have access to earlier NFHS Points of Emphasis regarding timeouts.

Observe Player Control, Observe Request, Grant: Incorrect
Observe Player Control, Observe Request, Observe Player Control, Grant: Correct
Didn't say it was a bad idea, Billy. Au contraire, it's probably a good idea to go over the correct procedure every single year during pre-season training. We do that too.

Just wanted to emphasize that the FED certainly does try to give us proper direction on rules interpretations that they think are being misconstrued.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Need Any Paper For The Bird Cage ...

Quote:
Just wanted to emphasize that the FED certainly does try to give us proper direction on rules interpretations that they think are being misconstrued.
The Points of Emphasis that you cited do a very good job of giving us proper direction. i.e. during live-ball situations, it is imperative that officials ensure player control before granting a time-out.

Our IAABO mechanics manual doesn't help much at all. Need any fish wrapped?

I don't have 2003-04 POE #4, nor do I have 2006-07 POE #3A, on my hard drive, but I'm sure that Nevadaref will be along shortly to offer his archival support.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2010 at 07:54pm.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies To Gomez Addams ...

Quote:
Au contraire.
"Jurassic Referee, when you speak French, it drives me wild, Cara Mia!"