The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Table Reporting question/First game report

I am just getting into basketball officiating after a long stint in baseball. When you guys report to the table, do you use the same hand (either right or left for numbers) all the time, or do you switch based on where in the reporting area you are reporting from?

BTW, had first game last week. 8th Grade G/B. Both games went pretty smooth. Had one call I think I blew in retrospect. Player catches outlet pass and is turning up the floor and dribbles extremely hard. The player misses the dribble on it's way up and it goes at least 6 feet over his head. He takes about 3 steps running under it and catches the dribble at a stop. It just looked so wrong that I blew the whistle instincively and signaled a traveling violation. After I made the call (nobody complained), I thought more about this play and think I missed on this one. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Would this be covered by the wording that I read which stated in essence, cannot travel during a dribble?

I did actually bail my partner out on one call in the boys game (He had been calling basketball for a few years but seemed to have more questions about rules/mechanics than I did, which I have to admit was not confidence inspiring). I was administering a two shot foul early in the 3rd quarter. I had just bounced the ball to white 32 to shoot the first of two shots. As he released the ball, one of white's players ran out on the floor right in front of my partner. He calls the T for unbeckoned substitute. He then wanted to go shoot the Technical foul shots at the other end. I met him and informed him that we still needed to administer the second foul shot for white, then let black shoot their 2 on the other end and give black the ball at the division line. A couple trips up the floor later, I noticed that white had 0 team fouls on the scoreboard. On the next dead ball I informed the table that we should have a team foul for the technical on white. The scorer said that my partner told them it was not a team foul in that situation. My partner's reply was that he thought personals were the only fouls that counted as team fouls. I said that it should count toward team and personal for that player since it was direct. We got it fixed at the table after that.

Felt good when the losing coach of the boy's game came up to me after the game and told me I did a great job and complemented me on my hustle (he was unaware that I was new, which I guess is as good a complement as I could get).
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 04:22am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
Felt good when the losing coach of the boy's game came up to me after the game and told me I did a great job and complemented me on my hustle (he was unaware that I was new, which I guess is as good a complement as I could get).
Congrats on poppin the cherry, hope the rest of your career progresses well from here. Sounds like you did a good job and held up your end
If you're gonna take coaches' accolades to heart, do the same when a rampaging fool calls you the absolute worst effing ref in history. Of course you won't cause we all know HE works in my state.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 07:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Righty, Tighty, Lefty, Loosey....

Quote:
When you guys report to the table, do you use the same hand (either right or left for numbers) all the time, or do you switch based on where in the reporting area you are reporting from? .
I always use my right hand as I'm a righty and more coordinated and it feels more comfortable.

That being said, I try to use my other hand/arm when making other calls like signalling a violation, marking an out of bounds spots, and showing direction, therefore, maybe I can work in to being more ambidextrous in the future.

Welcome aboard!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am just getting into basketball officiating after a long stint in baseball. When you guys report to the table, do you use the same hand (either right or left for numbers) all the time, or do you switch based on where in the reporting area you are reporting from?
I use either hand -- even for reporting the number
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I switch hands to report the numbers, depending on which direction I'm going to indicate the ball is going when I'm done reporting the foul. It took me awhile to adjust to doing it this way, but my HS assignor thinks it looks more fluid and less like "a traffic cop."
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
When you guys report to the table, do you use the same hand (either right or left for numbers) all the time, or do you switch based on where in the reporting area you are reporting from?
I always use my right hand for giving numbers. (I try to use either hand for indication direction after an out of bounds.)

Quote:
Would this be covered by the wording that I read which stated in essence, cannot travel during a dribble?
Two things to remember on this play.

1) You are right, it's impossible to travel during a dribble (no matter how shi@@y the dribble is, as one of my camp clinicians put it).

2) With one exception (which I've never personally seen happen), you can't travel unless you are HOLDING the ball.

Since your "high dribble" scenario fails both of these reminders, it could not have been traveling. So it was a bad call, but good for you for recognizing it and understanding why. Now, after just one game, I'm willing to bet that you will never make that mistake again.

Good luck on the rest of your season. Sounds like a good start.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good job: I'll just add two things.
1. High dribbles are just that, high dribbles. Nothing illegal about them, and the player could have continued his dribble legally had he not caught it.

2. Technicals don't count as "personal" fouls, they count as total fouls towards dq. It's a semantics issue, but it's important to understand the distinction between technical fouls and personal fouls.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tune In Next Week, Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I With one exception (which I've never personally seen happen), you can't travel unless you are holding the ball.
A cliffhanger on the Forum? C'mon. The suspense is killing me. Please elaborate.

(Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 20, 2010 at 01:09pm.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 02:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
I switch hands to report the numbers, depending on which direction I'm going to indicate the ball is going when I'm done reporting the foul. It took me awhile to adjust to doing it this way, but my HS assignor thinks it looks more fluid and less like "a traffic cop."
He probably told you to ditch the metal whistle and white gloves, too, right?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good job: I'll just add two things.

2. Technicals don't count as "personal" fouls, they count as total fouls towards dq. It's a semantics issue, but it's important to understand the distinction between technical fouls and personal fouls.

I see what you are saying about the wording, but as far as telling the book/table, do you not tell them to count it against the players personal foul total to simplify for the table crew?

On which hand to report with, I have had a local assignor (not from my association) tell me he wants his guys to signal closed fist, open palm, 3 point attempt and report #'s to table with the hand closest to the division line at that time. My assignor has not specified to me a preference.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Congrats on poppin the cherry, hope the rest of your career progresses well from here. Sounds like you did a good job and held up your end
If you're gonna take coaches' accolades to heart, do the same when a rampaging fool calls you the absolute worst effing ref in history. Of course you won't cause we all know HE works in my state.
Oh I understand that it can turn on a dime. I had a baseball coach tell me after a game that I was the best ball/strike umpire he had seen at the HS level. The next year, he tells me that my strike zone was "floating all night long". I reminded him of his comment the previous year and asked if he considered the fact that since I was the constant and his pitcher was the variable, maybe he should talk to his guy toeing the rubber. (The guy the year before was a stud [drafted out of HS], the pitcher the second year shouldn't have been pitching above JV level).

By the way, I now coach HS baseball and softball (why I am turning to basketball for an officiating outlet).
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can beat that; during one of my first years doing hs ball working a sophomore game, I had a visiting coach tell me at half time that it was the best game he'd seen officiated at that level.

After the game, he said we were the worst officials he'd seen all year.

You can guess which team gave up the half time lead to lose the game.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A cliffhanger on the Forum? C'mon. The suspense is killing me. Please elaborate.

(Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball.)
You know (or should know) this.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 07:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I see what you are saying about the wording, but as far as telling the book/table, do you not tell them to count it against the players personal foul total to simplify for the table crew?
Just tell the table "it counts towards his 5."
1. you avoid the semantic error.
2. It takes less time.
3. It uses less oxygen (which is at a premium where I ref).
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 08:28pm
This IS My Social Life

Which Hand?

Quote:
When you guys report to the table, do you use the same hand (either right or left for numbers) all the time, or do you switch based on where in the reporting area you are reporting from?.
Some of us here use the hand on the side of the bench of the team which committed the foul, while also communicating the team color and number ("Blue foul...number eleven"). Took about five games to get used to a couple of years ago. Purely natural now. This also avoids the otherwise popular and oft-construed as accusatory point to the bench which committed the foul. Table is informed of this prior to the game. Some "table officials" mention how this use of which hand helps clarify for them which team is credited with the foul.
Is this common in other areas?

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Nov 20, 2010 at 08:34pm.