The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

SIU Time Out

Intersting play at the end of the SIU/Northeastern game.
With about 3 seconds left to SIU players come up with a rebound. The L official blows his whistle and signals TO SIU. One problem, SIU does not have a TO. Video shows no SIU player making a TO signal. The officials huddle and tell the SIU coach that they heard "someone" from SIU call TO. Technical on SIU, N'eastern hits one.
Thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My thought: seems to me if I'm going to issue a technical foul, it would benefit me to be able to identify the person who requested the TO. But for the record, the hand signal is not required for this.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:41pm
I miss being on the floor

Just finished watching that. Interesting situation. Looking at the replay, the official grants a timeout request, then points to the player who apparently requested it.

There looked to be no visual request for a timeout. The official told the table that "He heard someone from SIU yell timeout"

The announcers thought it might have been #2 for SIU, who was standing next to the official who eventually granted the TO. He started to make a visual request, but I thought that came after the official had granted the TO.

Something about the officials' explanation doesn't sit well with me.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My thought: seems to me if I'm going to issue a technical foul, it would benefit me to be able to identify the person who requested the TO. But for the record, the hand signal is not required for this.
My thought as well. The official not being able to identify the player who requested it punches some holes in his story.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. But it would have been nice to see a player making a "T" sign for the viewers at home!
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts, in order they occur:

* Ouch!
* At least they owned up to it
* In a time critical situation you want to be very, very aware of any time out request
* That "hyper awareness" can sometimes get you into trouble
* I have stopped play for a phantom time out request at the end of a one point game once (see Ouch! comment above)
* Might we be better off by delaying just slightly to ensure there is actually a request, then putting time back on the clock? It seems in this case we have an relatively good remedy (good remedy = easily sellable and high likelihood of the remedy being accepted without incident) for a delay in granting a time out, but no good remedy for a whistle for a phantom request.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
My thought as well. The official not being able to identify the player who requested it punches some holes in his story.
Not really holes, it just makes it harder to sell later when the proverbial fan gets dirty. I still have a hard time identifying players who request TO, since they do it so rarely I don't get much practice.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

During SIU last timeout we got together as a crew and let each other know that SIU had no more timeouts...why with :03 left would we acknowledge a timeout from SIU unless it is totally visual (because you know it will result in a technical foul!)?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
During SIU last timeout we got together as a crew and let each other know that SIU had no more timeouts...why with :03 left would we acknowledge a timeout from SIU unless it is totally visual (because you know it will result in a technical foul!)?
Maybe because it's the rule, and if the player requests it, you grant it; regardless of whether it's visual.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:32pm

Quote:
Not really holes, it just makes it harder to sell later when the proverbial fan gets dirty. I still have a hard time identifying players who request TO, since they do it so rarely I don't get much practice.
I'm not doubting that he heard the word "timeout" come from someone, somewhere. Could have been the crowd behind him. Maybe it was a savvy opponent who knew that SIU had no timeouts left?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not doubting that he heard the word "timeout" come from someone, somewhere. Could have been the crowd behind him. Maybe it was a savvy opponent who knew that SIU had no timeouts left?
From the way I've read your post in this thread, the official pointed directly at the player when he granted it. Forgetting the number and face later, even seconds later, is not uncommon. But I'll bet he doesn't forget again.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 02:01pm

Quote:
From the way I've read your post in this thread, the official pointed directly at the player when he granted it. Forgetting the number and face later, even seconds later, is not uncommon. But I'll bet he doesn't forget again.
Possibly. I'll also contend that the players mouth could be moving, but he didn't actually say "timeout".

I'd be interested to hear what SIU's coach had to say about the explanation he got. I'm sure a reporter put the bait out there, it's just a matter of whether or not Lowery bit.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 02:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Possibly. I'll also contend that the players mouth could be moving, but he didn't actually say "timeout".

I'd be interested to hear what SIU's coach had to say about the explanation he got. I'm sure a reporter put the bait out there, it's just a matter of whether or not Lowery bit.
Until evidence shows otherwise, I'll choose to believe the explanation that is more charitable to the officials involved (both their competence and their integrity). You seem willing to question one or both; based on what?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the reply over.
When the official goes to point to SIU bench, look at #2 hands to the side behind the official.

Looks like to me that #2 is making a T with his hands!

What you all think.
Seen this reply in the highlights when they are explaining it.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the reply over.
When the official goes to point to SIU bench, look at #2 hands to the side behind the official.

Looks like to me that #2 is making a T with his hands!

What you all think.
Seen this reply in the highlights when they are explaining it.