The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:36am
9 times

When I work with a rookie, I just want the rookie to do his/her job and not try to "prove" that s/he belongs on the court. Call your area and be a good partner.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I remember my first year, as it was a great one. I learned a lot from the individuals I worked with and were great to help me to get where I am at today.

Everyone here has offered some great advice on how to work with a veteran. My advice would be come ready to officiate and learn but also have fun with it. This can be a fun profession if you work with the right people and have fun with it. Always be willing to learn and also never be afraid to ask questions to fellow officials you might get a different response per things, but you take some and you leave some of the advice.

Have a great season!

JB
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 12:09pm
Back from the DL

A question to the veterans from this intermediate:

You're the lead in a two man crew, working with a rookie. The rook at trail doesn't call a clear backcourt violation. Do you make that call?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

You're the lead in a two man crew, working with a rookie. The rook at trail doesn't call a clear backcourt violation. Do you make that call?
No.

a. I wouldn't see it.
b. Not my call.
c. What kind of example am I setting if I get that? Somebody will always bail you out? Always watch the ball? I can do this game by myself?

No, we talk about it later to make sure he's got the rule, and if he gets chewed on a little, that will reinforce the lesson.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Heckeeeeeeno!!!!!

Sometimes we have to learn rules by our mistakes. And like said before, not sure I would have seen it.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 01:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Ask for advice. Then stay for the 2nd game and watch it put into practice. Ask the varsity crew if you can sit in on halftime. If asked if you are seeing anything, do not critique, it is usually a rhetorical question. If you want to learn, most veterans are willing to help. But, you must ask. And if you have those guys following you later in the season, you would do well to have put into practice any good advice you have been given. I have been on both sides. I only offer advice if asked and usually only one thing per game. That advice usually is advice I had received at one point in time.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How about this one I had last year. Working with a rookie in the end of a close game, and the rookie at trail clearly doesn't understand 10 second backcourt and 5 second closely guarded count. The defense is pressing on every possession and the coach has asked for a count. Do you try to cover for the rookie?

Here's what I did. I had already talked to my partner, so I forced a switch to make sure I had the ten second count in back court. There was not much else I could do, and luckily the coach knew I had a rookie and was understanding. It did mean that I had the same end of the floor for the last several minutes of the game.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
How about this one I had last year. Working with a rookie in the end of a close game, and the rookie at trail clearly doesn't understand 10 second backcourt and 5 second closely guarded count. The defense is pressing on every possession and the coach has asked for a count. Do you try to cover for the rookie?

Here's what I did. I had already talked to my partner, so I forced a switch to make sure I had the ten second count in back court. There was not much else I could do, and luckily the coach knew I had a rookie and was understanding. It did mean that I had the same end of the floor for the last several minutes of the game.
That seems like a good approach to a tough situation.

The only thing I've ever done close to this was last year. I'm lead on an FC endline throw-in. A1 launches ball into backcourt, where A2 chases it down and retrieves it below the FT line extended along the BC sideline. T blows her whistle for a BC violation.

I hit my whistle to do a quick conference, asked her what she had. She told me no one from the defense had hit it, and I told her the rule (quickly), and she agreed to reverse the call. No one said a word.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Only if the ball was thrown from my primary, went clearly out of reach of everyone else, and was clearly recovered in the backcourt by team A.

In fact, I'd even blow that one with any partner.

With the ball coming from my primary, the trail probably has no idea if the throw was tipped or not since they wouldn't be looking there. There are some calls that take more information than your parnter might have.

(Yes, this happened to me once...and I didn't call it and it made us both look bad).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 12, 2010 at 10:42pm.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:57pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
...Hustle, hustle, hustle...
Just because the Instructional Chair is super anal and literal, in Southern Nevada we have replaced hustle with "get in position to see the play." Many officials will hustle to look like they are doing something and/or will hustle themselves right out of position to see plays.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 12:31am
Back from the DL

Good responses thus far.

What if your rookie trail and you witnessed the following: A-1 loses control in the frontcourt. B-2 taps the ball into the air over the backcourt. A-1 runs to the backcourt and touches the ball before it hits the floor. Your partner offers no whistle, thinking no violation took place.

Now, mbyron and JRut offer solid reasons why they'd leave such things alone, and I doubt this scenario would change their minds. Cam also offers a good reason to blow the whistle.

Anyone else? Does this new scenario change things?
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 12:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
A-1 loses control in the frontcourt. B-2 taps the ball into the air over the backcourt. A-1 runs to the backcourt and touches the ball before it hits the floor.
No violation did take place.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good responses thus far.

What if your rookie trail and you witnessed the following: A-1 loses control in the frontcourt. B-2 taps the ball into the air over the backcourt. A-1 runs to the backcourt and touches the ball before it hits the floor. Your partner offers no whistle, thinking no violation took place.

Now, mbyron and JRut offer solid reasons why they'd leave such things alone, and I doubt this scenario would change their minds. Cam also offers a good reason to blow the whistle.

Anyone else? Does this new scenario change things?
Camron stated he's only calling this if the ball came from his primary. The odds of your scenario happening in the lead's primary are slim to none.

Secondly (I know, there was not "first of all"), your scenario is not a violation by rule; in spite of the interp.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 04:27pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Secondly (I know, there was not "first of all"), your scenario is not a violation by rule; in spite of the interp.
Correct, and thankfully so.

I just came from our IAABO board's fall conference, and one of the things mentioned was a change in interpretation on this very play. Long story short, it's not a violation. A few of us at the meeting expressed pleasure about the change, as last year's didn't make sense to us.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct, and thankfully so.

I just came from our IAABO board's fall conference, and one of the things mentioned was a change in interpretation on this very play. Long story short, it's not a violation. A few of us at the meeting expressed pleasure about the change, as last year's didn't make sense to us.
Is this "change" published anywhere? Or does it just apply to your specific area?