The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

delay of game question

I know that I've read this in one of the books in previous years, but can't seem to find now.

#34. A team may be issued a delay of game warning following a time-out for water on the floor.

I believe I remember reading somewhere that this is true.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 03:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Check the index for Delaying Game.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you'll find a specific mention of water in the rules, but the effect of the water is that the court is not ready to play. That you should be able to find.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Back In The Saddle, i did find that, and that's what I went with, I answered True because water on the court following a timeout would mean that the court isn't ready. How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though? I did have a middle school game last year in which a player went full speed into the bench to dive for a loose ball and ended up knocking a full water cooler all over the floor. We had about a 30 minute delay for that. lol
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballrefinks View Post
Back In The Saddle, i did find that, and that's what I went with, I answered True because water on the court following a timeout would mean that the court isn't ready. How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though? I did have a middle school game last year in which a player went full speed into the bench to dive for a loose ball and ended up knocking a full water cooler all over the floor. We had about a 30 minute delay for that. lol
The reason the question is worded that way, I think, is because the rule was essentially written with that scenario in mind. It happens, I've seen it; but it happens less now that the rule addresses it
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though?
Quite frequently actually. Maybe they're just really messy here in these parts, but those stupid squeeze bottles all seem to leak and/or water gets sprayed when the players drink (I'm starting to understand now why the NFL has designated folks to squirt water for the players to drink - must be a technical skill that's beyond most athletes). The teams have all had a team manager or assistant coach with a towel ready to clean up the spills, so no need (yet) to call delay of game.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then you have answered correctly. This delay was added a couple of years ago, and water on the floor was cited as being a major reason for this. Where it normally happens is when teams bring water bottles out onto the floor during a time out. I have seen it happen once or twice. One in particular I remember was a GV game, and when the team realized they'd spilled water one of the scrubs sat right down in the puddle, wiggled around and used her shorts to soak it up. I was laughing too hard to even issue a delay warning.