The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Free throw violation?

2 seconds to go in a 1 point game...losing team is shooting a 1-1. The shooter is dribbling and loses his balance and falls forward and his hand lands in the lane. What do you call?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

off the top of my head, I would say lane violation since the ball was at the shooter's disposal (based on your statement that the shooter was dribbling). Just like if anyone else on the lanes were to step inside the lane while the shooter had the ball, there would be a lane violation (delayed if opposing team's violation).

Don't have my rulebook at the moment so don't take this 100%. That's just what my interpretation of the rules is.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 10:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Please note that the score, the amount of time left in the game and which team is shooting are all irrelevant factors.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 10:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Actually, the restrictions are different for the shooter and the players on marked lane spaces. Both are restricted from either foot breaking their respective vertical planes. Players on the lane are further restricted from contacting the court outside the 36 by 36 inch space. There is no similar restriction on the shooter.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Actually, the restrictions are different for the shooter and the players on marked lane spaces. Both are restricted from either foot breaking their respective vertical planes. Players on the lane are further restricted from contacting the court outside the 36 by 36 inch space. There is no similar restriction on the shooter.
Ok, thanks for the clarification on the difference between shooters and lane-occupiers.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Please note that the score, the amount of time left in the game and which team is shooting are all irrelevant factors.
Noted. I was just giving the scenario knowing that the rule is a rule. Thank you
Old Sat Nov 06, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Casebook, 9.1.3 Sit K

... After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the of the freethrower, he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating, until restrictions have ended.
Old Sat Nov 06, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
... After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the of the freethrower, he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating, until restrictions have ended.
And..?

Does touching the floor with a hand constitute "leave(ing) or enter(ing) the free-throw semicircle"?
Old Sun Nov 07, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And..?

Does touching the floor with a hand constitute "leave(ing) or enter(ing) the free-throw semicircle"?
Yes it does. Violation on the shooter, and if this is the front end of a 1-and-1, then it counts as a miss. Defense gets to take the ball out for a spot throwin on the endline. If it was the first shot of a two or three shot free throw, then it still counts as a miss, but the shooter is allowed to attempt the remaining free throws.
Old Sun Nov 07, 2010, 08:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
Yes it does. Violation on the shooter....
Rule citation, please.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 07, 2010, 11:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Based on the fact that they had to add the part about touching the floor in the lane to the restrictions on the non-shooters along the lane, I would say that touching the floor in the lane does not constitute leaving the marked lane space.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Based on the fact that they had to add the part about touching the floor in the lane to the restrictions on the non-shooters along the lane, I would say that touching the floor in the lane does not constitute leaving the marked lane space.
Why would you say that? IIRC, it was changed as a an editorial change...meaning it was a clarification on the existing rule rather than a change in a rule. Therefore, touching in the lane was always considered to be the same as leaving the space, but since it wasn't explicitly spelled out and some didn't read it that way, so they changed it. Touching the lane makes a player's location in the lane. If their location is in the lane, they've left the marked spot.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Oh?

That statement is a direct contradiction of the actual rule which says:
NFHS rule 9-1-3d..."No player shall enter a marked lane space or leave a marked lane space by contacting the court outside the the 36-inch by 36-inch space."

Methinks your thinking needs re-thinking.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 08:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Oh?

That statement is a direct contradiction of the actual rule which says:
NFHS rule 9-1-3d..."No player shall enter a marked lane space or leave a marked lane space by contacting the court outside the the 36-inch by 36-inch space."

Methinks your thinking needs re-thinking.
Snaq's point, right or wrong, is that the free throw shooter is not entering or leaving a marked lane space and is never required to be in the 36"x36" space, so this rule does not apply to him/her.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 09:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Snaq's point, right or wrong, is that the free throw shooter is not entering or leaving a marked lane space and is never required to be in the 36"x36" space, so this rule does not apply to him/her.
Um no, that logic is completely wrong. Snaqs' statement was.."I would say that touching the floor in the lane does not constitute leaving the MARKED LANE SPACE." NFHS rule 9-1-3d contradicts that statement. That was my point. There is no mention of the FT shooter in his statement, only references to marked lane spaces.

If he hadda said that touching the floor in the lane does not constitute "have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket.." by the FT shooter, as laid out in a completely different rule (9-1-3e), then we would have a completely different discussion.

Now you tell me, Skippy.....

If a FT shooter loses his balance and touches the lane in front of his FT line with either the ball or a hand(s), is that a violation?