The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   delay of game question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59677-delay-game-question.html)

bballrefinks Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:34pm

delay of game question

I know that I've read this in one of the books in previous years, but can't seem to find now.

#34. A team may be issued a delay of game warning following a time-out for water on the floor.

I believe I remember reading somewhere that this is true.

Welpe Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:36pm

Check the index for Delaying Game.

Back In The Saddle Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:47pm

I don't think you'll find a specific mention of water in the rules, but the effect of the water is that the court is not ready to play. That you should be able to find.

bballrefinks Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:59pm

Back In The Saddle, i did find that, and that's what I went with, I answered True because water on the court following a timeout would mean that the court isn't ready. How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though? I did have a middle school game last year in which a player went full speed into the bench to dive for a loose ball and ended up knocking a full water cooler all over the floor. We had about a 30 minute delay for that. lol

Adam Tue Nov 09, 2010 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballrefinks (Post 700197)
Back In The Saddle, i did find that, and that's what I went with, I answered True because water on the court following a timeout would mean that the court isn't ready. How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though? I did have a middle school game last year in which a player went full speed into the bench to dive for a loose ball and ended up knocking a full water cooler all over the floor. We had about a 30 minute delay for that. lol

The reason the question is worded that way, I think, is because the rule was essentially written with that scenario in mind. It happens, I've seen it; but it happens less now that the rule addresses it

Rufus Tue Nov 09, 2010 04:14pm

Quote:

How often are you going to have somebody spill water on a court though?

Quite frequently actually. Maybe they're just really messy here in these parts, but those stupid squeeze bottles all seem to leak and/or water gets sprayed when the players drink (I'm starting to understand now why the NFL has designated folks to squirt water for the players to drink - must be a technical skill that's beyond most athletes). The teams have all had a team manager or assistant coach with a towel ready to clean up the spills, so no need (yet) to call delay of game.

Back In The Saddle Tue Nov 09, 2010 04:15pm

Quote:

Then you have answered correctly. This delay was added a couple of years ago, and water on the floor was cited as being a major reason for this. Where it normally happens is when teams bring water bottles out onto the floor during a time out. I have seen it happen once or twice. One in particular I remember was a GV game, and when the team realized they'd spilled water one of the scrubs sat right down in the puddle, wiggled around and used her shorts to soak it up. I was laughing too hard to even issue a delay warning. ;)