The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Go for it. Tell him you're both just not gonna stand for it any longer.

Please be sure to report back on how he took the news.

Btw, does the little woman also have her own taser? If not, Christmas is coming. Just saying......
LMAO My wife is not such a stickler for rules/regulations like I am. However I am working on lowering my threshold of being so stringent.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Be sure to quit before you go blind.
Stopped when I needed glasses.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The more I think about it, the more I think this case play is intended to apply to the Head Coach (the only coach acknowledged by the rules) only.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 10:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think this case play is intended to apply to the Head Coach (the only coach acknowledged by the rules) only.
That makes zero sense to me. What part of "If this information is required, it MUST be secured by a manager or statistician, etc. when the clock is stopped and the ball is dead." do you think is ambiguous in any kind of way?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That makes zero sense to me. What part of "If this information is required, it MUST be secured by a manager or statistician, etc. when the clock is stopped and the ball is dead." do you think is ambiguous in any kind of way?
While I agree with you, one hole, as was previously mentioned, is the definition of exactly who is the manager or statistician? There is no definition. Presumably, it can't be "coach" (only one is actually defined in the book). But it could be just about anyone else as far as I can tell.

Perhaps it is expected to be a person that is not on the coaching staff and not a team member, but I've seen no such definition....and who exactly is on the coaching staff?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 01:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps it is expected to be a person that is not on the coaching staff and not a team member, but I've seen no such definition....and who exactly is on the coaching staff?
We tell our people to find out pre-game exactly who the head coach and his assistants are. They may get a little more leeway in some circumstances than an adult manager, statistician, etc. might.

Of course, whether they all actually do that or not is whole 'nother story.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We tell our people to find out pre-game exactly who the head coach and his assistants are. They may get a little more leeway in some circumstances than an adult manager, statistician, etc. might.

Of course, whether they all actually do that or not is whole 'nother story.
This is interesting; I've never been told this. We know who the head coach is based on his attendance at the pregame meeting. That's it. I don't know nor care who the assistant coaches are, nor how they are differentiated from the statistician. The way I read the rule and case play, the HC cannot be the statistician; but I see no other restrictions.

If the rulz rulz, where is it?

Also, any other case plays you know of that are not numbered according to the correct rule?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 07:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is interesting; I've never been told this. We know who the head coach is based on his attendance at the pregame meeting. That's it. I don't know nor care who the assistant coaches are, nor how they are differentiated from the statistician. The way I read the rule and case play, the HC cannot be the statistician; but I see no other restrictions.

If the rulz rulz, where is it?

Also, any other case plays you know of that are not numbered according to the correct rule?
I usually assume that the person with a scorebook or laptop is the statistician.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
It's my understanding that during a Varsity Contest, the only coach that should be doing any communications/interactions with the game officials is the HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yeah, that's in the book -- as a tool to cool down situations that are getting confrontational. Around here if you tried to enforce that routinely you'd be considered a total pr!ck and lose games.
Really? In all locations I've been in, that's been pretty much the standard in all of them. AC's are to be seen and not heard. A quick, "coach, your AC is about to buy you a seat" is normally all that's necessary to quiet them down. Is this normal for other areas to address HC and assistants as well?

Roger
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While I agree with you, one hole, as was previously mentioned, is the definition of exactly who is the manager or statistician? There is no definition. Presumably, it can't be "coach" (only one is actually defined in the book). But it could be just about anyone else as far as I can tell.

There are players, a head coach and all the rest are bench personell IMO.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Really? In all locations I've been in, that's been pretty much the standard in all of them. AC's are to be seen and not heard. A quick, "coach, your AC is about to buy you a seat" is normally all that's necessary to quiet them down. Is this normal for other areas to address HC and assistants as well?

Roger
I won't speak for mbyron, but for me, if an assistant coach, during say a timeout, wants to ask me an appropriate question and he/she does so in a professional way, I'm not going to tell him/her I won't ask because they aren't the head coach. I do the same thing when interacting with a player that isn't a captain. The first time I have a problem with the assistant, the head coach will hear about it.

That's at least what I got out of that statement.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 01:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I won't speak for mbyron, but for me, if an assistant coach, during say a timeout, wants to ask me an appropriate question and he/she does so in a professional way, I'm not going to tell him/her I won't ask because they aren't the head coach. I do the same thing when interacting with a player that isn't a captain. The first time I have a problem with the assistant, the head coach will hear about it.

How you handle an assistant is up to you IMO. A lot of officials do not want to deal with assistance and I understand why. Often they think they need to ask a question every time something happens and that gets annoying. But to be real the rules gives certain responsibilities to the head coach or by rule "coach." It is up to you how you want to deal with them. No right or wrong either way from my point of view.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

Yup, that's it. A total unwillingness to speak to AC's under any circumstances comes across badly. First sign of a problem, though, and we'll talk only to HC.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
There are players, a head coach and all the rest are bench personell IMO.
"Players" are the 5 on the floor. The people on the bench are not players. They are team members and/or substitutes and are part of the group called bench personnel....along with managers, coaches, statisticians, etc.