View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Question Bench Technical or not

Rule 10-4-4 states:
"Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, & must remain seated, except:
a. The head coach as in 10-5-1.
b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table.
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-12-5, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her seat.
PENALTY: (Arts. 1, 2, 3, 4) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. If the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him/her. The foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) and also charged indirectly to the head coach. (Art. 1g) Flagrant foul, the offender is disqualified. If the offender is bench personnel, each foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach."

As this rule is stated, should there be a technical foul assessed for the assistant coach to leave the bench, & go behind the scorers' table to look at the scorebook to check on player fouls or quarters played during the middle of the game, during time-outs, or between quarters/halves??

As I am reading & understanding the rule, the assistant coach is only supposed to be behind the scorers' table as the team is coming out for warm-ups or to start the 2nd half.

Am I interpreting this right?

If I am reading/interpreting the rule right, what can the official scorer &/or timer do (if anything) to cease this activity?

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 03:36am.