Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Our league has a rule that when you are up by 5 pts. you
can only play defense from within the three point line,
no press etc. You get two warnings and then a technical foul
is given (which is on the bench). After two technical fouls
it is my understanding the coach is ejected. Is this correct
or can the Asst. Coach be ejected instead of the Head Coach.
Also, does the coach have to leave the gym in this situation
or can he simply remove himself from the bench and sit
elsewhere...not doing any coaching?
Thanks,
Bill Braas
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

A coach is tossed on two occaisions:

1.) Two direct technicals on the coach
2.) Three indirect technicals on the coach.

Of course, if the coach throws a punch at someone (heavan forbid!), toss him just like you would a player for a flagrant technical foul.

The answer to your question is no. If indirect technicals are given to the coach, they're given to the head coach, and can not be redistributed to any other coach(es) on the bench. Same with direct technicals--they stick with the head coach. If you T an assistant for what ever reason, it's a team T, plus/including an indirect on the head coach. Three separate T's by any combination of assistants is three separate indirect T's to the head coach, and it's see ya later Jack!

See page 73 of your rule book for differences between direct and indirect technicals. Note the note at the bottom that notes what I noted above

[Edited by Danvrapp on Dec 13th, 2001 at 12:39 PM]
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
If you T an assistant for what ever reason, it's a team T, plus/including an indirect on the head coach. Three separate T's by any combination of assistants is three separate indirect T's to the head coach, and it's see ya later Jack!

See page 73 of your rule book for differences between direct and indirect technicals. Note the note at the bottom that notes what I noted above

[Edited by Danvrapp on Dec 13th, 2001 at 12:39 PM] [/B]
Dan,if you T an assistant coach,he gets a direct T and the head coach gets the indirect T.Two direct T's on any one assistant means he's history.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Dan,if you T an assistant coach,he gets a direct T and the head coach gets the indirect T.Two direct T's on any one assistant means he's history.
You're absolutely right. I guess I left that part out!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I am not an official but a coach. Our league is playing by
the National Federation High School Basketball rules.
I guess I need to get a rule book but until then could
you tell me if the techincal I am discussing is an "indirect technical" on the coach. I would assume that would be
the case but I know what happens sometimes when you assume things.
Thanks,
Bill
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's hard to answer this question because it is not in the NFHS rules and we don't have a copy of your league's rulebook.

If the penalty for a press is a bench technical, then it is (probably) charged to the coach as an indirect foul - one of his/her three for the game.

However, bench technicals usually refer to conduct or actions of individual team members who are not players or the head coach. My guess is that this might be a team technical, similar to the delay of game technical fouls, and not charged at all to any individual, including the head coach.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
I realize its only a game. However, at our last game we ended up with two technical fouls due to the illegal defense call and I was ejected and could not coach. I am just trying to find out if that was correct or I should have been allowed one more technical foul before any ejection.
Thanks,
Bill
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WCBRAAS
....I am just trying to find out if that was correct or I should have been allowed one more technical foul before any ejection.
Thanks,
Bill
I think Mark answered your question in his first post when he stated it all depends on if your league deems this an indirect or direct technical. By NFHS rules, there is no such thing as illegal defense with reference to the three point arc, so we (as NFHS officials) can't answer as to what type of technical it is.

If it's a direct, it's two strikes and you're out. If it's an indirect, you get three strikes.

If it's baseball, four balls or three strikes, whichever comes first
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Dan!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WCBRAAS
Mark,
I realize its only a game. However, at our last game we ended up with two technical fouls due to the illegal defense call and I was ejected and could not coach. I am just trying to find out if that was correct or I should have been allowed one more technical foul before any ejection.
Thanks,
Bill
Coach, first mark was not directing the"it's only a game" comment to you. It's his signature. It's at the end of every thread he posts.

Second, this is a league rule, not an NFHS rule. Therefore, nothing we say has any bearing. If the league says you're ejected after two Ts, then you're ejected.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for that clarification!
Bill