The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Lets put it mildly. I wasted 3yrs. of officiating. After 3yrs i thought i was realy good. Then i worked a middle school game with a D-1 official. I can't tell you the 50 or so threats and curse words he gave me at half time. He became my mentor and i went to camp and got humbled. I go to 8 to 10 camps in the off season. Its the best thing that any official can do. Many camper have my same story except maybe the half-time incident. Go for it you won't regret it. You don't have to go to as many camps as i do. There are additional reasons i go to that many camps.

[This message has been edited by Bart Tyson (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

so bart why do you attend so many camps? are you a super or assignor
Old Thu Mar 30, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

I work several different conferences and i like going to camps. One conference i have to, and like to, go to several camps. I take i wife and daughter to all these camps they are like mini vacations. They love to swim and shop. They have a great time.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
I work several different conferences and i like going to camps. One conference i have to, and like to, go to several camps. I take i wife and daughter to all these camps they are like mini vacations. They love to swim and shop. They have a great time.
Bart that is a good idea to take family along but are these areas highly attractive for the most common wife/family. And if you may name a few camps that are great for the family to tag along to. Regretfully I am a resident of El Paso and the closest semi-metro area is Albuquerque(4.5 hour drive and Tuscon 6 hour drive). I know the association advertises camps but it is not well advertised and one usually finds out after or right before. These officials are SWOA members that generally cover Texas and New Mexico. My plans are to attend a camp this summer but being over here in Korea doesn't give me much leverage on info beings though the association lacks a web site to my knowledge. I'll be stateside in mid April and it's strictly business from that point on. Reffing is great, especially you know the game.

Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wife/Daughter don't go to the actual camp itself. They get to do all the fun stuff. Stay at fancy hotels, Shop, Swim, sight see.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Bart -

What time do your camps generally go to during the day? I'm thinking of bringing family and getting hotel right near camp and heading back there at end of day.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bart -

What time do your camps generally go to during the day? I'm thinking of bringing family and getting hotel right near camp and heading back there at end of day.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
Wife/Daughter don't go to the actual camp itself. They get to do all the fun stuff. Stay at fancy hotels, Shop, Swim, sight see.
How about answering question concerning camps in the area I'm from. If you don't know that's understandable.