View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Ron -

Yes he played for Detroit. Then Houston and KC -- allstar several times but never made impact in NBA I thought he would. You probably remember Walker as a shooter because he led nation in scoring his senior year. But he was forced into shouldering the bulk of the scoring because our center didnt apply himself in school and never played past his soph year. Tough to win without a good center. Walker was a GREAT passer and told me numerous times his junior and senior year he preferred to score less and pass off but coach (Joe Mullaney) wanted him to score. Prime example ... one team tried to box and one and even triangle and one him ...so he passed off and had 18 assists for the game...only scored 6 points but we WON. His soph year he did EVERYTHING -- I remember a pass he made against St. Bonaventure where he drove the lane, left the floor from the foul line, did a 360 and dished the ball off to our center under basket on right side for a thunderous dunk. Pass brought the house down. Those were the exciting times you talked about. They called him the "Oscar Robertson of New England".

I've only been refing for 3 years.....actually this was my 4th year...moved from upstate NY to Greensboro, NC this year and had to get used to 3 man rotation. Been doing frosh and some JV. Hope to do varsity in another 3 years. Not gettin any younger.
Good luck in your refing career. I've never regretted getting involved even with all the complaining from fans, coaches. Also got some kudos along the way on my refing which is nice to hear.