The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to amckell
NCAA Correctable Error Scenario

First-time poster, long time reader here...

Some fellow officials and I were discussing the following scenario:

A2 is erroneously awarded a 1-1 and makes both free throws. Team B inbounds the ball and dribbles to midcourt and calls a timeout. During the timeout, it's discovered that A2 was awarded unmerited free throws. What happens next?

This appears to be a correctable error, since the error was discovered during the 1st dead ball after the ball went live. So, the free-throws would be canceled, and Team A would be awarded a throw-in at mid-court, which was the point of interruption when the error was discovered.

Sound reasonable? Some disagreed and thought the free-throws should count, followed by a Team B throw-in at mid-court. Not even going to try and explain their logic behind that.

I couldn't find a case play that matched that scenario, although there were a few that were close (Case book, pg11, A.R. 20.

Thoughts?
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 11:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Unfortunately, you all missed it. Hey, it happens.

The error is correctable, as you said, because it was discovered during the necessary time frame. So the question becomes how to correct it. The obvious part is to cancel the free throws that were erroneously awarded. So how do you resume play after the correction?

You resume at the point of interruption, unless you are shooting free throws that should have been awarded AND there's been no change of possession.

Since there WAS a change of possession, we resume at the POI, which in this case is throw-in for Team B, since they were entitled to the throw-in after the time-out.

And welcome to the forum. Hope you find it helpful!
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to amckell
Great explanation, and it makes sense. I do remember reading the part about change of possession, and that may have threw my off a bit, as to the who/where regarding the throw-in.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Unfortunately, you all missed it. Hey, it happens.

The error is correctable, as you said, because it was discovered during the necessary time frame. So the question becomes how to correct it. The obvious part is to cancel the free throws that were erroneously awarded. So how do you resume play after the correction?

You resume at the point of interruption, unless you are shooting free throws that should have been awarded AND there's been no change of possession.

Since there WAS a change of possession, we resume at the POI, which in this case is throw-in for Team B, since they were entitled to the throw-in after the time-out.

And welcome to the forum. Hope you find it helpful!
FIBA procedure is different and, I believe, fairer: in the OP's case the game is resumed, after canceling the free throws, with an AP throw-in.

Ciao
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

To me, the fairest fix in this situation would be to cancel the FTs and give the ball to A at the spot of the foul.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To me, the fairest fix in this situation would be to cancel the FTs and give the ball to A at the spot of the foul.
What if, instead, the FT was missed and B rebounded the ball. Do you still think it would be fair to go back and give A the ball?

Like the other CE scenarios, this puts a little responsibility on team A to ensure they're not taking FTs they don't deserve....becasue they could lose the FTs and the ball.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckell View Post
I couldn't find a case play that matched that scenario, although there were a few that were close (Case book, pg11, A.R. 20.

Thoughts?
The NCAAW mechanics manual has a similar play as well. And, when they post the answers to the test, we'll all likely have the "right" answer.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What if, instead, the FT was missed and B rebounded the ball. Do you still think it would be fair to go back and give A the ball?

Like the other CE scenarios, this puts a little responsibility on team A to ensure they're not taking FTs they don't deserve....becasue they could lose the FTs and the ball.

So, instead, 'B' intentionally lets the free throws be shot then calls a time-out knowing that 'A' will lose its points and a possession.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

So, instead, 'B' intentionally lets the free throws be shot then calls a time-out knowing that 'A' will lose its points and a possession.
Good point. But, do we really think someone is going to be, or even be aware that they could be, that devious?

Knowing you're getting FTs you don't deserve and letting it happen is one thing, but what you propose takes several stars to line up.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 04:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Good point. But, do we really think someone is going to be, or even be aware that they could be, that devious?

Knowing you're getting FTs you don't deserve and letting it happen is one thing, but what you propose takes several stars to line up.
My thing is, if we don't know, and the table doesn't know, why are we saying the coach SHOULD know? I've never bought that argument for why CE's are administered like they are.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My thing is, if we don't know, and the table doesn't know, why are we saying the coach SHOULD know? I've never bought that argument for why CE's are administered like they are.
If you can think of a better way, feel free to suggest it.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 06:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If you can think of a better way, feel free to suggest it.
On a couple of situations I've already suggested better alternatives in long ago threads.

But my main point is that the oft-cited argument about the coach "letting it happen" is riduculous, IMO.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
NCCA-W - All points are erased and the ball is awarded to Team B at midcourt, which is the POI.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 08:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
NCCA-W - All points are erased and the ball is awarded to Team B at midcourt, which is the POI.
Is there any difference between the correctable error rules for Men and Women?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Is there any difference between the correctable error rules for Men and Women?
Dont know, I always put the NCAA-W in my response because thats what I officiate, just incase there are any differences......my disclaimer......LOL!