The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The switch is either "on" or "off". It can't take more than 15 seconds to learn how to switch between the two positions.

"Start the clock when someone inbounds touches the ball. Stop it when the whistle blows. Any questions? Let's review -- when will you start the clock on the jump ball?"

Repeat if needed.

Total time less than 1 minute.

There aren't that many (any?) exceptions or unusual circumstances to learn.
Yes, it's really that easy just to do time on the scoreboard, however I was also meaning doing score & fouls on the scoreboard. Each manufacturer has a different setup for their board's controls.

So far, I've used scoreboard controls from 2 manufacturers (All-American Scoreboards & Daktronics). There are differences between the two boards on the control schemes.

For the Daktronics board scheme that I used last, in order for points to be on the board 1st we had to press Pts. +1 (or +2 or +3 depending on the point value of the shot) then using the numerical keypad we had to input the player's number. Same thing for the fouls. (The Daktronics Board automatically kept track of the player points (as well as overall team score, player fouls, & team fouls)). When there were subs there were a couple of options.

For the All-American Scoreboard scheme at CHS that I use throughout the season, all we do for points is press Pts. +1 (or +2 or +3). For fouls, 1st we have to press player foul, input player number, enter, foul number, enter, then we have to press team foul, foul number, enter. For the All-American Board everything had to be inputted.

So yes being timer can be easy, yet it can also be hard, if a person doesn't know what they're doing.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So yes being timer can be easy, yet it can also be hard, if a person doesn't know what they're doing.
In which case he has no business sitting behind the table.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, it's really that easy just to do time on the scoreboard, however I was also meaning doing score & fouls on the scoreboard. Each manufacturer has a different setup for their board's controls.

So far, I've used scoreboard controls from 2 manufacturers (All-American Scoreboards & Daktronics). There are differences between the two boards on the control schemes.

For the Daktronics board scheme that I used last, in order for points to be on the board 1st we had to press Pts. +1 (or +2 or +3 depending on the point value of the shot) then using the numerical keypad we had to input the player's number. Same thing for the fouls. (The Daktronics Board automatically kept track of the player points (as well as overall team score, player fouls, & team fouls)). When there were subs there were a couple of options.

For the All-American Scoreboard scheme at CHS that I use throughout the season, all we do for points is press Pts. +1 (or +2 or +3). For fouls, 1st we have to press player foul, input player number, enter, foul number, enter, then we have to press team foul, foul number, enter. For the All-American Board everything had to be inputted.

In the grand scheme of things, keeping track of fouls and score, while a major convenience for everyone involved, is secondary to correct timing. The first thing I'm worried about the TIMER doing is...well keeping time. Second would be score just cause you'll have the coaches and players going crazy if the score is wrong on the board. The rest is just gravy.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
In the grand scheme of things, keeping track of fouls and score, while a major convenience for everyone involved, is secondary to correct timing. The first thing I'm worried about the TIMER doing is...well keeping time. Second would be score just cause you'll have the coaches and players going crazy if the score is wrong on the board. The rest is just gravy.
Very true about all of the above.

For me it's easy to do all of the above, then of course I am in constant communication with the scorer about the score & the fouls (which as listed below, I have to tell them who scored or fouled at times).

Yes it's a convenience to have the score & fouls posted. However since majority of the games I do are sub-Varsity, sometimes the scoreboard is the most accurate on both the score & the fouls, especially if the scorer is a snot-nosed kid off the street.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is a huge issue in our state.

Scoreboard operators for games from the 7th grade and up must belong to the Registry of Qualified Official Timers Association. (RoQOTA)

RoQOTA has essentially unionized the position, and timers receive $35 for middle school games, $50 for sub-varsity games, and $75 for varsity games.

They also have an exclusivity clause with the state association that they must work with Daktronic scoreboards.

Schools may request a waiver from the state in order to use non-Daktronic scoreboards, but must pay a fine of $500 to RoQOTA for doing so.

It is not uncommon for games to be forfeited in this area at the beginning of the season because the timer is either uncertified, or the school has the wrong company's scoreboard and has not paid the fine. This will likely happen even more so with financial cuts that are being implemented at many schools.

An unintended consequence of this has also been that it is getting harder and harder for schools to find qualified official scorers, as that is not a certified position, and many of the workers who used to do that job now hold out for the better paying timing jobs and the prestige of being a member of RoQOTA.

I have seen quite a bit of resentment between timers and scorers where the scorer will say things to the timer such as "that is team A's fifth foul," and the timer will respond "you aren't authorized or qualifed to tell me what I need to put on the scoreboard."

I have heard rumors of the scorers are attempting to organize an association as well, but it seems that they have not been able to get on the same page, and can not agree on an exclusivity deal with a scorebook company such as Mark V or Score-Right, because there are so many different books out there.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year or two.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're kidding, right?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post

Scoreboard operators for games from the 7th grade and up must belong to the Registry of Qualified Official Timers Association. (RoQOTA)

RoQOTA has essentially unionized the position, and timers receive $35 for middle school games, $50 for sub-varsity games, and $75 for varsity games.

They also have an exclusivity clause with the state association that they must work with Daktronic scoreboards.

Schools may request a waiver from the state in order to use non-Daktronic scoreboards, but must pay a fine of $500 to RoQOTA for doing so.

It is not uncommon for games to be forfeited in this area at the beginning of the season because the timer is either uncertified, or the school has the wrong company's scoreboard and has not paid the fine. This will likely happen even more so with financial cuts that are being implemented at many schools.

An unintended consequence of this has also been that it is getting harder and harder for schools to find qualified official scorers, as that is not a certified position, and many of the workers who used to do that job now hold out for the better paying timing jobs and the prestige of being a member of RoQOTA.

I have seen quite a bit of resentment between timers and scorers where the scorer will say things to the timer such as "that is team A's fifth foul," and the timer will respond "you aren't authorized or qualifed to tell me what I need to put on the scoreboard."

I have heard rumors of the scorers are attempting to organize an association as well, but it seems that they have not been able to get on the same page, and can not agree on an exclusivity deal with a scorebook company such as Mark V or Score-Right, because there are so many different books out there.

Ok first off, what state is this in & who came up with this hare brained idea?

2nd, what type of training must they go through in order to be certified?

I feel sorry for the schools to have to shell out so much money for a position that I'm willing to do at only $10 a game.

However from my experience with the Daktronic boards, I like them far better than the All-American Scoreboards, even though there's a bit more to operating them.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok first off, what state is this in & who came up with this hare brained idea?
I think you did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Ok first off, what state is this in?
Eagle is packing his bags.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post

Time to hang up the whistle and start some timing!
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I think you did.
If it was here in Washington State I would of known about it.

Also I know not all schools use Daktronic Scoreboards here in Washington State.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the schools, nor would I ask for the pay to be so high. At the most I would charge $25-50 a game at Varsity level.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Time to hang up the whistle and start some timing!
Yeah whatever state that is, it seems to pay more to be a timer than a floor official, now that does suck.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Yes I volunteer myself, but I do it as a support of my alma mater & for the love of the game & to help better the game (if this last part makes any sense).

There are limits to how far love can take you, I suppose.

Quote:

At the most I would charge $25-50 a game at Varsity level.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah whatever state that is, it seems to pay more to be a timer than a floor official, now that does suck.
I took lp's post to be completely tongue-in-cheek. I'd think schools would pay for a third officials rather than allow the state to mandate timers from an approved association.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, it's really that easy just to do time on the scoreboard, however I was also meaning doing score & fouls on the scoreboard.
The question that was asked was "How long could it possibly take to become "certified" to be a clock operator."

you responded and I responded to that. It has (or had) nothing to do with "score and fouls."

If you're just doing team totals, then it also takes < 1 minute to learn (Home score +2; Visitor Fouls +1, etc).

I agree that if you're also tracking individual team members who are in the game and their points and fouls that it takes more practice.