Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 07:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In theory, you could demand that only those certified in cleaning toilets be allowed to do so, but when you're sitting there I think it would be difficult to tell the difference.
Nice!

PS - Thanks Billy, I'll be singing that jingle all day now.......
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see no reason to have them certified to work a volunteer position. I believe the area you're talking about, where crews are certified through the local officials' association, pays the table crews a modest fee.

I have yet to have a problem with table crew that isn't solved by a simple pregame reminding them when to buzz on subs (ie, not when the coach yells "sub") and the proper timing for buzzers.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I see no reason to have them certified to work a volunteer position. I believe the area you're talking about, where crews are certified through the local officials' association, pays the table crews a modest fee.

I have yet to have a problem with table crew that isn't solved by a simple pregame reminding them when to buzz on subs (ie, not when the coach yells "sub") and the proper timing for buzzers.
Snaq, that's what I am meaning is that everyone that works the table is paid, not volunteer. From what I've experienced working the 3A/4A Regionals, a paid crew takes their duties/responsibilities more seriously than just a random person that volunteers.

Yes I volunteer myself, but I do it as a support of my alma mater & for the love of the game & to help better the game (if this last part makes any sense).

The regular person that does the Varsity games only gets paid $35 a night to do only 2 games ($17.50 a game) non-certified. During 3A/4A Regionals, I was getting paid a rate of $10 a game, also non-certified. There are scheduled 9 home games with both Varsities playing for 2010-2011. Using this formula, the regular person will be getting $315 minus any playoff games. If was to use the $10 a game formula, would be getting $180.

Now the question is, in those areas where the table is also certified, how much is the per game rate? Or if becomes certified, how much per game should a person working table get?

For certification purposes, the only ones I see who should be certified are the scorer (official book), timer/scoreboard, & shot clock (for those states that use it). As I've seen it, the visitors' scorebook is there just as a reference tool.

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Oct 24, 2010 at 08:39pm. Reason: Found an updated schedule
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Now the question is, in those areas where the table is also certified, how much is the per game rate? Or if becomes certified, how much per game should a person working table get?
Have you seen anyone on here post that the table crews in their state is certified? No.

One poster posts that his state has an association for scorers and timers. That's it.

Most crews are volunteers. Schools can't afford it. They don't pay anyone. It doesn't exist. Nobody is certified. Don't you get it?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Snaq, that's what I am meaning is that everyone that works the table is paid, not volunteer. From what I've experienced working the 3A/4A Regionals, a paid crew takes their duties/responsibilities more seriously than just a random person that volunteers.
From what I've seen at the high school varsity level and below, I have no way of knowing which crews get a small payment and which ones don't. Virtually every crew I've seen at the high school level is doing a good job.

There's no problem that needs fixing here.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

FWIW the vast majority of the table crews around here from varsity/JV games all the way down to junior high games are paid.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 12:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
How long could it possibly take to become "certified" to be a clock operator. A person of reasonable intelligence who has never even been to a game could be taught to do a credible job of this in a matter of minutes.

Next question: Do you think we have enough apples in the world?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 12:32am.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There can never be enough apples, oranges, bananas, or nuts in the world
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 11:12am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
FWIW the vast majority of the table crews around here from varsity/JV games all the way down to junior high games are paid.
Here, too. It's not a lot. Maybe $15 or $20 a game. But official scorer and timer get paid.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What do you guys include in your quick pregame with the table crews? I need to start doing that more often when the varsity season rolls around.
Maybe the most important instruction to a new scorebook keeper: Make sure you and I have eye contact. Look me in the eye! Then record the foul.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
How long could it possibly take to become "certified" to be a clock operator. A person of reasonable intelligence who has never even been to a game could be taught to do a credible job of this in a matter of minutes.

I sat at the table once and ran the clock / scoreboard during a camp. I had trouble doing this, even with a running clock. Gave me appreciation for the job -- if you're doing the time, score, fouls, etc. it's not *that* easy.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I sat at the table once and ran the clock / scoreboard during a camp. I had trouble doing this, even with a running clock. Gave me appreciation for the job -- if you're doing the time, score, fouls, etc. it's not *that* easy.
I started running the clock/book for "real" (i.e., non-camp) games when I was a wee lad. It's not that difficult, but it definitely takes a little time to get it down cold.

But my first scrimmage this year one college kid was doing book, clock, scoreboard and the shot clock. Granted he wasn't keeping individual fouls or scores, and it was a running clock, but I was still impressed at his ability to do all three jobs. Did a pretty good job of it too.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Maybe the most important instruction to a new scorebook keeper: Make sure you and I have eye contact. Look me in the eye! Then record the foul.
I've seen that happen where the floor official actually looked at the scorer & said "pay attention or you will be replaced" when was reporting a foul.

Quote:
That can depend on the scoreboard controls being used & the person's knowledge of the game.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That can depend on the scoreboard controls being used & the person's knowledge of the game.
The switch is either "on" or "off". It can't take more than 15 seconds to learn how to switch between the two positions.

"Start the clock when someone inbounds touches the ball. Stop it when the whistle blows. Any questions? Let's review -- when will you start the clock on the jump ball?"

Repeat if needed.

Total time less than 1 minute.

There aren't that many (any?) exceptions or unusual circumstances to learn.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Start the clock when someone inbounds touches the ball.
Except on a successful free throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stop it when the whistle blows.
It doesn't get much simpler than that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)