The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 04:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Let me ask you this, would you ding an official who looks good, but doesn't use mechanics by the book versus an official who uses sloppy mechanics by the book?
I'd ding both of 'em. There's no excuse for either imo. If you want uniformity in your area, it's up to YOU to set the parameters of what that uniformity should be and then apply those parameters. If you're not doing so, why evaluate people in the first place?

I could care less what parameters you set up locally, Tom. As long as everybody in your area is trying to do the same thing, great. But, as Nevada said, you may have a problem when your officials go outside your area. However, imo that ain't really a biggie either. A good pre-game takes care of most of those problems.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 04:33pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I'd ding both of 'em. There's no excuse for either imo. If you want uniformity in your area, it's up to YOU to set the parameters of what that uniformity should be and then apply those parameters. If you're not doing so, why evaluate people in the first place?

I could care less what parameters you set up locally, Tom. As long as everybody in your area is trying to do the same thing, great. But, as Nevada said, you may have a problem when your officials go outside your area. However, imo that ain't really a biggie either. A good pre-game takes care of most of those problems.
I can understand what you are saying and I will set the parameters. Unfortunately, I don't think Nevada will like those parameters.

I also agree that officials should be able to do both, but if you can tell me why they can't I'm all ears. Like most associations, we have officials who are at/near the tops in terms of ratings, new officials and those in the middle. The officials in the middle are the ones who make up most of the association and that is where we need to get better.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
1) Unfortunately, I don't think Nevada will like those parameters.

2) I also agree that officials should be able to do both, but if you can tell me why they can't I'm all ears. Like most associations, we have officials who are at/near the tops in terms of ratings, new officials and those in the middle. The officials in the middle are the ones who make up most of the association and that is where we need to get better.
1) Jmo but as long as your area is consistent in the mechanics, there ain't a damn thing wrong with it. Local evaluations will show you whether your officials are really doing what you want them to do. And the same holds true for Nevada's area. Iow, I don't think that either of you should dictate mechanic usage to the other. And I also don't think that it's gonna be any real problem come tournament time either. They have evaluators at regionals, state, etc. that will let you know what they want used. And any official picked for state playoffs should be able to easily adjust imo.

2) If I could tell you, some of my my own officials would be a helluva lot better than they are now. In my experience, it's a matter of an official wanting to get better. Some will listen to you; some will nod their heads up and down and say "uh-huh, Tom" and immediately go back to doing what they want to do as soon as you're out of sight. Imo you're sureashell on the right track though, trying to teach and train what you think needs to be done to upgrade your people.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If officials that work NCAA & D-League games are disciplined enough to use proper mechanics from game to game, so should we.
My smart@$$ comment for the day: "ok, pay me what thoase leagues pay me and I will!" Ok, I'm done, thanks for the opportunity!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
My smart@$$ comment for the day: "ok, pay me what thoase leagues pay me and I will!" Ok, I'm done, thanks for the opportunity!
All about the Benjamins, huh?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So only NCAA and D-League officials should be able make adjustments? One of the things that gets a high school official to the NCAA and D-League level is the ability to adjust as needed.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So only NCAA and D-League officials should be able make adjustments? One of the things that gets a high school official to the NCAA and D-League level is the ability to adjust as needed.
Yes, that's exactly what I said, those are the only officials who should ever make adjustments, without question, no if's, and's, or but's about it. That's clearly what I meant. (yes that was meant sarcastically) Geeze, lighten up killer!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I said, those are the only officials who should ever make adjustments, without question, no if's, and's, or but's about it. That's clearly what I meant. (yes that was meant sarcastically) Geeze, lighten up killer!

Guess you weren't as clear as you thought Skippy.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 02:09pm.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning evaluations, since that's on everyone's mind, how often are evaluations done?

How often do you think evaluations should be done?

By trained evaluators, I mean

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 08:24am.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning evaluations, since that's on everyone's mind, how often are evaluations done?

How often do you think evaluations should be done?
We get evaluated every time we take the court.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We get evaluated every time we take the court.
By everyone. 99% of those people have no clue, except that they know we suck about half the time.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
By everyone. 99% of those people have no clue, except that they know we suck about half the time.
So what you are saying is that we suck about 1/2 the time all of the time?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
So what you are saying is that we suck about 1/2 the time all of the time?
I say floor officials only suck about 1/4 of the time, if never.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I say floor officials only suck about 1/4 of the time, if never.
That went right over your head. Stick to the table talk.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
That went right over your head. Stick to the table talk.
So cute how he says "floor officials" as if we might be confused if he just said "officials."