The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) If different states have their own local timing rules, it's no concern of yours. If you're talking about your own state, I doubt very much the WIAA will let any local associations play with their state rules. And....a 30-second trip to Google to look up the WIAA website finds that all you freaking have to do is send an e-mail to Cindy Adsit, the WIAA Assistant Executive Director for basketball and she'll answer any question about timing you might have. Her e-mail is:
[email protected]
Please don't tell her that it was me who gave you her e-mail addy. I might have to go in the Witness Protection Program if she ever finds out who sicced you on her.

2) I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell ya!
I've sent e-mails to Cindy before, so I do know how to get ahold of her.

I know the WIAA Website, as that's how I found out about the Running Clock being added for this year, by looking it up on the PDF of the 2010-2011 WIAA Handbook.

How are you shocked?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How are you shocked?
He's not shocked.
________
Marijuana Bubbler

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:32pm.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However with him being the AD, he is supposed to be on top of all new rules/regulations.
I seriously doubt if one of his responsibilities is to know all the playing rules for all the sports.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I seriously doubt if one of his responsibilities is to know all the playing rules for all the sports.
Ok, let me rephrase then, the AD is supposed to know all rules/regualtions for all sports to ensure those that are doing scoreboard/timing operations are fully aware of their duties.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 09:14pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Ok, let me rephrase then, the AD is supposed to know all rules/regualtions for all sports to ensure those that are doing scoreboard/timing operations are fully aware of their duties.
Getting rather ambitious now, aren't we. You're not satisfied with maneuvering for the HEAD Scorekeeper's job and now you're gunning for the AD's position??
Post your principal's contact info so we can apprise him of our endorsement.
Heck, I'll bet you can probably handle both positions and do crowd control on the side. What a bargain, 3 fer 1. Great idea in these budget conscious times!!
Tidy up your CV and go for it
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am an AD. I have also been a basketball official for 15 years and STILL occasionally recheck, study rules, and ask questions in the sport I am allegedly an expert in.

My experience as a basketball official has taught me that even though I probably have more knowledge of the rules in other sports than the average fan, the last thing I would do is pretend that I know every detail of every rule for the other 11 sports that I administer.

I run an athletic department- not a rules clinic. I trust that the contest officials will be the experts on matters of rules, and if I have a question, they will be able to answer it or send me to a person who knows the answer.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Getting rather ambitious now, aren't we. You're not satisfied with maneuvering for the HEAD Scorekeeper's job and now you're gunning for the AD's position??
Post your principal's contact info so we can apprise him of our endorsement.
Heck, I'll bet you can probably handle both positions and do crowd control on the side. What a bargain, 3 fer 1. Great idea in these budget conscious times!!
Tidy up your CV and go for it
Thanks for the ideas, I'll just go for the Superintendent's job while I'm at it. NOT

When I was talking about game-day operations, I was meaning other aspects besides the sport itself.

I could never the place of either the AD or Principal, & I would never try to do so.

The person that's been doing the Varsity games has been doing better. She appreciates my help & suggestions as during last year's games I did assist with shot clock operations during Varsity Games when I could. So with time she is getting better.

Unless there are other table crews that do so, I am the only one, that I know of, that has a copy of the "Duties & Regulations for Timers & Scorers of Basketball Games", as well as a copy of the Shot Clock Rules/Regulations with me while at the table. I wish more would have these with them in case questions did arise. As during the past couple of years these have come in handy.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
I am an AD. I have also been a basketball official for 15 years and STILL occasionally recheck, study rules, and ask questions in the sport I am allegedly an expert in.

My experience as a basketball official has taught me that even though I probably have more knowledge of the rules in other sports than the average fan, the last thing I would do is pretend that I know every detail of every rule for the other 11 sports that I administer.

I run an athletic department- not a rules clinic. I trust that the contest officials will be the experts on matters of rules, and if I have a question, they will be able to answer it or send me to a person who knows the answer.
I was not meaning knowing every single rule/regulation. I was meaning those that pertain to the operations of the game (timer, scorer, materials needed, etc.) & any changes made in those rules/regulations that could affect that which I mentioned before.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not meaning knowing every single rule/regulation. I was meaning those that pertain to the operations of the game (timer, scorer, materials needed, etc.) & any changes made in those rules/regulations that could affect that which I mentioned before.
Why should the AD know those things? The table crew has been hired to know those things. The AD's only duty is to make sure the materials needed are provided....clocks, scorebooks, etc.

In many areas, the AD hires the referees. It doesn't mean they should know how to referee.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Sep 14, 2010 at 11:37pm.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why should the AD know those things? The table crew has been hired to know those things. The AD's only duty is to make sure the materials needed are provided....clocks, scorebooks, etc.

In many areas, the AD hires the referees. It doesn't mean they should know how to referee.
For just in case the AD might have to cover for someone being ill. Also the AD should know how to operate the scoreboard without any problems.

Hopefully this last statement has changed since last year, as that's what happened.

The poor AD's head would explode if they had to know all the rules officials have to know. I can see an AD being an official for 1 or 2 sports their school participates in, just not every single sport.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

pie-eyed over the table talk

Thanks much to everyone.

There is nothing better when getting ready for a season than good table talk, and this is the best table talk I've seen outside of Worcester, Mass.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Thanks much to everyone.

There is nothing better when getting ready for a season than good table talk, and this is the best table talk I've seen outside of Worcester, Mass.
Sorry but gotta ask, what's the worst table talk you've ever heard?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

1st running clock of the season

During Boys' C Squad tonight had running clock for the 1st time this season, where I was timer.

When the running clock got instituted the score was H 53-V 13.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Is this clear enough for you

Quote:
hopefully I'll get some further clarification on what to do if the point differential is below 40.
Given that I officiate in the State of Washington...

In the second half once we reach a point differential of 40 points or greater the clock will only stop for a time out, free throw administration, an officials time out or time between quarters. This doesn't change for the remainder of the game even if the point differential drops to below 40.

That is it, nothing more nothing less. My understanding of clock operations is limited as I am only an official, but I think once you get it running if you leave it alone it will contiune to run. But then again maybe I'm mistaken, maybe you need to feed it or whip it to keep it running.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Right after we started the running clock V got 2 FTs & made both. Near the end of the game one of the V Spectators was complaining about the clock not stopping whatsoever, the Shot Clock operator started to say something to them, but I said to ignore them especially since we had very little time left.

It wasn't till the game was done that he turned around and explained that there's the running clock now. I did scold him though for even saying that, mentioning that the spectators need to learn the rules themselves or stop belly aching.

The 2 FTs by V was the only time the clock stopped.

BTW Scuba_ref, when during FTs when have you told the timer to stop the clock?

How I did it tonight was that I waited until the official signaled there would be 2 FTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Given that I officiate in the State of Washington...

In the second half once we reach a point differential of 40 points or greater the clock will only stop for a time out, free throw administration, an officials time out or time between quarters. This doesn't change for the remainder of the game even if the point differential drops to below 40.

That is it, nothing more nothing less. My understanding of clock operations is limited as I am only an official, but I think once you get it running if you leave it alone it will contiune to run. But then again maybe I'm mistaken, maybe you need to feed it or whip it to keep it running.