The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Parents give standing ovation - no, not to me

Saturday morning 6th grade rec. One team had a boy on it who was (and I'm trying to be nice here) grossly overweight. Also, he was quite a bit shorter than all the rest of the boys. He was rather uncoordinated and committed many turnovers. He did take one shot in Q1 and it was an airball from about 7 or 8 feet out. Late in Q2, he had the ball in the corner and was being double teamed. One of the defenders hit him across the arm and I called the foul. His team was in double bonus, so he went to the line for two shots. The first one hit high up on the backboard and bounced away. However, the second one hit the front of the rim, then the backboard, then came down and bounced around the rim a little - then dropped in! That's when the parents from his team went nuts. They all jumped up and started shouting his name while clapping and stomping. The other team inbounded but then time ran out. The parents continued their antics for about two minutes into halftime before they gradually stopped.

I asked their AC what was going on. He told me this kid was in his third year in our program and this was the first point he had ever scored! These kids play 12 games per year and this was their second of this season so it was his 26th game.

He didn't score the rest of the game, although he almost made a shot with about one minute to go. My guess is that if it had gone in, the parents would have done the same thing again.

Of course, you could see how proud and happy the kid was from the time he scored. Good for him.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Not everyone has athletic ability. I am glad he scored and I am sure he went to sleep that night a happy young man. It would have been nice if he could ahve gotten a game ball for the memories.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 01:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Saturday morning 6th grade rec. One team had a boy on it who was (and I'm trying to be nice here) grossly overweight. Also, he was quite a bit shorter than all the rest of the boys. He was rather uncoordinated and committed many turnovers. He did take one shot in Q1 and it was an airball from about 7 or 8 feet out. Late in Q2, he had the ball in the corner and was being double teamed. One of the defenders hit him across the arm and I called the foul. His team was in double bonus, so he went to the line for two shots. The first one hit high up on the backboard and bounced away. However, the second one hit the front of the rim, then the backboard, then came down and bounced around the rim a little - then dropped in! That's when the parents from his team went nuts. They all jumped up and started shouting his name while clapping and stomping. The other team inbounded but then time ran out. The parents continued their antics for about two minutes into halftime before they gradually stopped.

I asked their AC what was going on. He told me this kid was in his third year in our program and this was the first point he had ever scored! These kids play 12 games per year and this was their second of this season so it was his 26th game.

He didn't score the rest of the game, although he almost made a shot with about one minute to go. My guess is that if it had gone in, the parents would have done the same thing again.

Of course, you could see how proud and happy the kid was from the time he scored. Good for him.
I coached in a 4-6 grade league and there was one coach who brought in kids from other schools to pad his team. He didn't play those kids against my team, though, because I had protested to the league president about this practice. [This guy had been booted out of another league for doing this precise thing]. I had 3 kids who could play ball, a couple who improved enough to at least be able to not violate every time they touched the ball, and 3 kids who were 'challenges'. In one of the last games of the season, one of those kids banked one in from 15 feet. The smile on his face was priceless. I turned to my AC and said, "_______ will never get to experience THAT."
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He didn't score the rest of the game, although he almost made a shot with about one minute to go.
And meanie that you are, you couldn't pull out the ol' phantom goal-tending call just once more?!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:41pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
And meanie that you are, you couldn't pull out the ol' phantom goal-tending call just once more?!
HTBT. It might have meant OT.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

And now just WHO's going to pay for this new keyboard since I just spit out my drink all over it?!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 07:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Works, Really ...

Quote:
And now just who's going to pay for this new keyboard since I just spit out my drink all over it?!
No need to buy a new one. Just bring it in the shower with you tomorrow morning. Then let it dry out for a couple of days in a sunny window. Good as new.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Were you pulling my leg?

Thanks, Billy (I think).

Things seemed to be going well at the shampoo stage, but when I went to rinse the conditioner out, sparks started flying. Was I supposed to unplug it first?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe You Rinsed Too Early ???

Quote:
When I went to rinse the conditioner out, sparks started flying.
Did you leave the conditioner in for a full minute.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)