The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Am I correct?

Was at the gym yesterday and I saw this girl practicing on the basketball court. She was practicing a pump fake and drive move.

She had the ball on the right wing. She pump faked and drove toward the lane, near the elbow. She came down on her right foot, and picked up her dribble. She then hopped backwards off of her right foot, and landing on the right foot. The left foot didn't touch the ground until the right foot landed.

After watching it a few times, I'm pretty sure she was travelling every time. Yes or no?
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you have a travel, but I am having a difficult time understanding how that move is even possible. Does her left foot ever touch the floor? It is difficult to imagine a player stopping on one foot and hopping backwards on the same foot. I have seen player shoot the fade off the other foot, but it doesn't seem to be what you are describing.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 08:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
After watching it a few times, I'm pretty sure she was travelling every time. Yes or no?
Was she travelling? No. Was she traveling? Yes.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
It sounds like you have a travel, but I am having a difficult time understanding how that move is even possible. Does her left foot ever touch the floor? It is difficult to imagine a player stopping on one foot and hopping backwards on the same foot. I have seen player shoot the fade off the other foot, but it doesn't seem to be what you are describing.
As impossible as it sounds, she did it. Her left foot only touches the floor after the right foot lands after the hop, and before the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Touche sir.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Your Favourite Pyjamas Colour In The Catalogue ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Base Word
travel

American
traveling

British
travelling
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 09:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Sounds like a basic plyometric drill to me. I don't see that being difficult for an athlete.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

But we are talking a basketball move not a plymetric drill. Not saying it is impossible just not sure of the practicality
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 10:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Base Word
travel

American
traveling

British
travelling
Does Padgett sound British to you?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 10:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
But we are talking a basketball move not a plymetric drill. Not saying it is impossible just not sure of the practicality
Impossible to do it legally.

So that means it is also impractical.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:14pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
plymetric drill
plyOmetric

Jes' being pi$$y
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Does Padgett sound British to you?
Sounds British with a French twist as well.

Last name: Padgett
This interesting surname is a diminutive form of Page, which is of Old French origin, and an occupational name for a young servant, a personal attendant in a noble's house, from the Old French, Middle English "page", ultimately deriving from the Greek "paidion", a boy, child. Padgett itself contains the intrusive "-d-", due to dialectal influences, and the diminutive suffix "-ett"; hence, "little page". Variants of the surname in the modern idiom include Paget, Pag(g)itt and Pagett. A family called Paget, of humble origins, first became prominent when William Paget (1506 - 1563) acquired large estates from Henry V111 on the dissolution of the monasteries, and also held the title Earl of Uxbridge, from 1714. The surname Page is first recorded in 1230, when Ralph Page is mentioned in the Pipe Rolls of Devonshire, while the variant form Padgett first appears in the early 14th Century (see below). John Paget is recorded in 1359 in the Court Rolls of the Borough of Colchester. Jone Padgett was christened at St. Botolph's, Bishopsgate, London, on December 10th 1569, while Margaret Padgett married Robert Ellis in London, on September 28th 1597. The Coat of Arms most associated with the family depicts on a black shield, a silver cross engrailed, in the dexter quarter a silver escallop. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Paget, which was dated 1327, in the "Subsidy Rolls of Sussex", during the reign of King Edward 111, known as "The Father of the Navy", 1327 - 1377. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 08:56am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Not saying it is impossible just not sure of the practicality
I never said it was practical on a basketball court.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Was at the gym yesterday and I saw this girl practicing on the basketball court. She was practicing a pump fake and drive move.

She had the ball on the right wing. She pump faked and drove toward the lane, near the elbow. She came down on her right foot, and picked up her dribble. She then hopped backwards off of her right foot, and landing on the right foot. The left foot didn't touch the ground until the right foot landed.

Just for the viewers playing at home, what rule is she breaking?
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 09:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

It's never legal to jump from one foot to the same foot while holding the ball.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Sounds British with a French twist as well.
Actually, Padgett isn't my birth name. When I was a teenager, my parents divorced and my mom eventually remarried a guy named Padgett. He legally adopted me and my sister and that's how I got that name.

My "real" family heritage is Russian on both sides. Please don't insinuate I'm even partly French.

BTW - one of my "real" grandfathers and my great-grandmother at one time both worked for Al Capone. Not kidding. I have an "Al Capone" t-shirt that my son bought for me to commemorate this. And - I'm distantly related to Monica Lewinsky.

OK - that's enough personal crap.