The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First time, I'd ignore it; he may as well have asked for a three second call.
Second time, if game flow permits, I'd ask him, "What are you trying to say?" I may regret it and end up issuing a T, but I'm curious what the point is.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That would be "prolonged" in the 3 P's (personal, prolonged, profane). The temptation (although I wouldn't act on it), would be to tell him I heard him the first 5 times he said it.
Or "Really? I hope you didn't already quit your day job"
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but what other reason is there for a coach to say something like that other than to diminish our efforts? Perhaps even to say we are cheating somehow
This is sort of what I'm getting at. The other implication is something like, "whenever you make a call that goes against my team, my livelihood is harmed." These are emotional pleas for calls that have little, if anything to do with whether the calls are correct. In Texas public schools, all coaches are full time faculty members. Varsity Football head coaches are usually just that, with an additional title of administrator to allow them to make a higher salary than teachers. All these guys THINK the coaching job is their livelihood, while for the head football coaches, it pretty much is.

When I've heard clinicians talk about these things, its been more of a "what we are hearing from coaches," rather than a "think about it from their perspective."

I'm not hearing this directly from coaches as much as I'm hearing it from supervisors and assignors who talk with coaches, but I'm sure we will all hear it at some point. I bring the topic up because this is something I haven't heard much before recently in my 20+ years in officiating in several sports at all levels. I'm also trying to figure out, from a coach's perspective, what they are trying to get out of the question or comment -- i.e. how exactly do they want us to respond?
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wonder if this won't be something they try, at first, with assigners when calling with complaints?
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

1 st post so be nice.

Have heard from a retired well respected D - 1 official on the east coast that we need to consider something along these lines. For example, if a guy is getting his tail kicked by 30 at home we need to be understanding. He might be 4 and 21 in February.
He could be in the last year of his contract and doesn't see eye to eye with his A.D. And don't forget his assistants. One of those guys might be a head coach one day and he might help you get in a league.

Not saying that I agree, but sometimes if we use some people skills it may go a long way with developing a relationship.

Now as far as a hs coach - no way would I take that b.s.

Great no longer a virgin !!!!!!
Old Sat Aug 14, 2010, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

AFAIC, "this is my livelihood" has nothing to do with how much crap I'm going to take. They're using it to try to manipulate calls. If a coach is 4-21 in February, and on his way out, why should I take more crap than I would from a coach who is 21-4? They're both adults who are capable of acting like adults.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When I was in Europe working a baseball tournament last month, I joked we would start carrying yellow and red cards since most of the coaches over there watched a lot of football (soccer).

It would work in basketball, too. Once in a while I'd accidentally on purpose grab the wrong card, too, just to give the coach a heart attack.
I think I'll use red and yellow cards this year. Last year I had a coach come stomping out on the court yelling at me to not correct "his kids", if i have a problem talk to him . problem is ,we cant give any t's in the church league ! red card would be almost as good of a message to coaches . lol
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
I think I'll use red and yellow cards this year. Last year I had a coach come stomping out on the court yelling at me to not correct "his kids", if i have a problem talk to him . problem is ,we cant give any t's in the church league ! red card would be almost as good of a message to coaches . lol
What? No way I'd work that league.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats tough, you cant issue Ts in the church league, BUT the coaches are allowed to "stomp out on the court."

I'm w/Snaq! All money aint good money.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you take care of unsportsmanlike conduct? Sounds like your league is giving coaches carte blanche to question officials left and right.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

ain't no message like losing the coaching box, two free throws for the other team, and finding oneself halfway towards being ejected.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
ain't no message like losing the coaching box, two free throws for the other team, and finding oneself halfway towards being ejected.
I dunno. If the church league replaced the T with something comparably bad -- maybe 2 minutes of demonic possession? -- that might work.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 11:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I dunno. If the church league replaced the T with something comparably bad -- maybe 2 minutes of demonic possession? -- that might work.
You mean by Billy Packer?
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

There are no T's, but there is no prohibition about saying a prayer AGAINST someone. "Please God, let them trip on the way back to the bench, split their pants and rush out of here completely embarrasssed"
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 05:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Lifting Up Of Our Minds And Hearts To God" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Please God, let them trip on the way back to the bench, split their pants and rush out of here completely embarrassed.
I do not remember this prayer being in my Baltimore Catechism.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)