The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

"This is my livelihood..."

I'd say in the last 2-3 years, we are hearing the topic comment, and those very similar to it, more and more from coaches. I say "we," since not only have I heard it more, have talked with officials who have heard it more, its now getting discussed in clinics from supervisors, schedulers, etc. -- those who are hearing from coaches and may be attending coaches clinics.

My guess -- and I have nothing really to back this up with -- is that this topic is being discussed heavily at coaching clinics. I'm not sure if its being offered up as a complaint to give officials when a call is made they don't like, perhaps with the theory being its a neutral comment and should not make the coach subject to a penalty (from whatever sport).

What are your experiences with this type of comment from coaches? How did you handle it? Given that, what do you think are good and bad ways to handle the comment?
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 09:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I have never heard that from a high school coach, since high school head coaching jobs around here are generally not full-time. If a high school (or lower) coach said that to me, I would simply ignore it.

At the college level (below D1), it's not much of a living, but the head coach is generally a full-time job. If a college coach said that to me, I would probably respond with something to try to assure him/her that we're trying to call it fair for both coaches.

I don't think I would consider penalizing such a comment as unsportsmanlike.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot penalize something that I do not understand the context. And why would I penalize a coach just for making this statement.

Coaches at the varsity level are not full-time coaches in my area, but they usually have a full-time job with that school or school district. It is possible that if they lose their coaching job they can and will lose their job teaching or lose enough money where working at that school is going to not be enough income. Many coaches making that comment would be accurate or nothing offensive. I would probably agree with them or ignore them, but I cannot think of a reason to penalize a coach just for saying that. Not unless it was coupled with another comment that was personal about me.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I'd say in the last 2-3 years, we are hearing the topic comment, and those very similar to it, more and more from coaches. I say "we," since not only have I heard it more, have talked with officials who have heard it more, its now getting discussed in clinics from supervisors, schedulers, etc. -- those who are hearing from coaches and may be attending coaches clinics.

My guess -- and I have nothing really to back this up with -- is that this topic is being discussed heavily at coaching clinics. I'm not sure if its being offered up as a complaint to give officials when a call is made they don't like, perhaps with the theory being its a neutral comment and should not make the coach subject to a penalty (from whatever sport).

What are your experiences with this type of comment from coaches? How did you handle it? Given that, what do you think are good and bad ways to handle the comment?
This is one of the benefits of the US getting "things" before we do in the GWN.

If I ever heard this, I'd (at the very least) chuckle on the inside. Outwards, I'd ignore it. A bad way to handle the comment would be "Well here's another sandwich off your dinner table. Whack!"
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 06:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I have never heard that from a high school coach, since high school head coaching jobs around here are generally not full-time. If a high school (or lower) coach said that to me, I would simply ignore it.

At the college level (below D1), it's not much of a living, but the head coach is generally a full-time job. If a college coach said that to me, I would probably respond with something to try to assure him/her that we're trying to call it fair for both coaches.

I don't think I would consider penalizing such a comment as unsportsmanlike.
+1...but with a question....

What if the coach keeps repeating the comment?
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 09:07am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I would suspect an intent to annoy, and a stop sign would be commonplace. From here, it would be handled like any other repeated objection.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 09:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I do not know that I would penalize this at all. I probably would have a response that would stop the comment. But I would not be worried about it.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

That would be "prolonged" in the 3 P's (personal, prolonged, profane). The temptation (although I wouldn't act on it), would be to tell him I heard him the first 5 times he said it.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Official: "That's a T, coach."
Coach: "But this is my livelihood."
Official: "Well, stop being so lively and you won't get another."
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 02:04pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
...and a stop sign would be commonplace...
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

Anyway, I have not yet heard this directly from a coach. I have heard it in the context of camps, and clinicians mentioning it in terms of officials needing to do our best when working at the college level.

So, in this case, the coach is effectively saying, "You are only officiating as a hobby. I do this for a living, and it's a crying shame my livelyhood has to depend on someone else's hobby." Isn't that the same thing as saying, "You don't put in the same time and effort I do, and because of that, I'm going to get screwed."?

Maybe I'm just grumpy on a Monday, but what other reason is there for a coach to say something like that other than to diminish our efforts? Perhaps even to say we are cheating somehow, or at least it's obviously not as important to us, because it's our hobby rather than our job? Can anyone tell me a legitimate reason as to why a coach would inform us of this useful bit of information? Would they also be willing to supply us with the details of their salary and bonus info from their contract as well, so we can verify it's really their livelyhood?

It just smacks of a creative way to say "I'm better than you; you're not as important as me." It's certainly not game-related in any way, and probably should be dealt with accordingly.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
When I was in Europe working a baseball tournament last month, I joked we would start carrying yellow and red cards since most of the coaches over there watched a lot of football (soccer).

It would work in basketball, too. Once in a while I'd accidentally on purpose grab the wrong card, too, just to give the coach a heart attack.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'd probably ignore it. If it was repeated, I might ignore again, might "I hear you", or might, "What's you're point?" it, depending on demeanor, how it's said, how bad I actually screwed up the call in question (jk), etc...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post

Anyway, I have not yet heard this directly from a coach. I have heard it in the context of camps, and clinicians mentioning it in terms of officials needing to do our best when working at the college level.

So, in this case, the coach is effectively saying, "You are only officiating as a hobby. I do this for a living, and it's a crying shame my livelyhood has to depend on someone else's hobby." Isn't that the same thing as saying, "You don't put in the same time and effort I do, and because of that, I'm going to get screwed."?

Maybe I'm just grumpy on a Monday, but what other reason is there for a coach to say something like that other than to diminish our efforts? Perhaps even to say we are cheating somehow, or at least it's obviously not as important to us, because it's our hobby rather than our job? Can anyone tell me a legitimate reason as to why a coach would inform us of this useful bit of information? Would they also be willing to supply us with the details of their salary and bonus info from their contract as well, so we can verify it's really their livelyhood?

It just smacks of a creative way to say "I'm better than you; you're not as important as me." It's certainly not game-related in any way, and probably should be dealt with accordingly.
It's simply an extension of phrases I've heard at camps:

It's the kids game, not ours.

It's the coach's livelihood, not ours.

And these words are coming from people who are officials and are teaching officials. Personally, I think those statements and those feelings are crap. I won't even begin to pretend that my role matches the role of the coaches or players, but minimizing what we do out there and how important it is for us to have passion for officiating and to take our role seriously doesn't help our avocation, IMO.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard similar from Clinicians but not from coaches. The 'spirit' in which it was said, was to put an emphasis on how important OUR jobs are on the court. At the upper level, it is the OFFICIALS living as well so it is sort of a moot point on the D1 level for the most part. IMO, it is just another way for a coach to complain about how bad their teams is playing.
If I am not mistaken, NFL officials are not full time either. Just saying