The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Exclamation 5 T's in 2 days plus an ejection

I worked a camp this past weekend at one of the local universities here, and let's just say I had some fun games in store for me (sarcasm intended) Camp was a mix of high school and AAU teams, and it was as bad as it sounds. It was like mixing gasoline and a match. Needed to vent about it, and I thought, why not share it with the forum? They love to hear stories about misery. So here goes...

1. Issued technical to a coach who had been previously warned by my partner. He yells across the court at me. "You have a whistle for a reason, use it!" Sure coach, here you go. *WHACK*

2. Issued technical to a player who ran straight onto the court in the middle of play, without even bothering to slow down at the table. His team was getting beat pretty bad and I think he was the last man off the bench. Poor kid was so excited to get in he forgot he needed to wait. Did feel somewhat bad calling this one.

3. Ejected a coach by giving him his second technical for using profanity, and both times it was directed at me. My partner got him for the first T and about 30 secs later I called him for the second one that led to his ejection. Apparently he told my partner the player control foul I had on his "star player" was f'ing bs. Then when I go over to inform the coach about his being seat-belted now (bad idea I know, but partner didn't want anything to do with him) he loudly informs the gym that my call was horsesh*t. *WHACK* See ya, coach. This coach had some mouth on him too, after the game he came over to apologize, and while he did apologize, he managed to fit about 10 swear words into his apology as adjectives. I was actually somewhat impressed by his descriptions

4. Interesting game here, boys varsity team vs. AAU team. Remember the line about mixing gasoline with a match? This was it. AAU coach is warned (by me) for excessive complaining about calls. Apparently carrying the ball and traveling don't exist in whatever AAU league he comes from Shortly after being warned, he rather loudly asks me how much the other team paid me. *WHACK* Then he doesn't believe my partner when he is told he has to stay seated for the rest of the game. Apparently that doesn't happen in AAU ball either.

5. Same game as #4. Player after being called for carrying the ball about the third time, jogs over to me in transition as we go the other way. He then proceeds to ask, "You've got a thing for me, don't you?" Somewhat puzzled and not sure I heard him right, I say "What?". He then repeats it to me again, and finally realizing what he means... *WHACK* I should have issued the T for the first comment, but I was so puzzled and taken aback by it that I wasn't quite sure what he said. Lucky for me he repeated it I guess...

Sorry for the length, but I had to vent about it somewhere. Feel free to impart your words of wisdom below.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
I worked a camp this past weekend at one of the local universities here, and let's just say I had some fun games in store for me (sarcasm intended) Camp was a mix of high school and AAU teams, and it was as bad as it sounds. It was like mixing gasoline and a match. Needed to vent about it, and I thought, why not share it with the forum? They love to hear stories about misery. So here goes...

1. Issued technical to a coach who had been previously warned by my partner. He yells across the court at me. "You have a whistle for a reason, use it!" Sure coach, here you go. *WHACK*

2. Issued technical to a player who ran straight onto the court in the middle of play, without even bothering to slow down at the table. His team was getting beat pretty bad and I think he was the last man off the bench. Poor kid was so excited to get in he forgot he needed to wait. Did feel somewhat bad calling this one.

3. Ejected a coach by giving him his second technical for using profanity, and both times it was directed at me. My partner got him for the first T and about 30 secs later I called him for the second one that led to his ejection. Apparently he told my partner the player control foul I had on his "star player" was f'ing bs. Then when I go over to inform the coach about his being seat-belted now (bad idea I know, but partner didn't want anything to do with him) he loudly informs the gym that my call was horsesh*t. *WHACK* See ya, coach. This coach had some mouth on him too, after the game he came over to apologize, and while he did apologize, he managed to fit about 10 swear words into his apology as adjectives. I was actually somewhat impressed by his descriptions

4. Interesting game here, boys varsity team vs. AAU team. Remember the line about mixing gasoline with a match? This was it. AAU coach is warned (by me) for excessive complaining about calls. Apparently carrying the ball and traveling don't exist in whatever AAU league he comes from Shortly after being warned, he rather loudly asks me how much the other team paid me. *WHACK* Then he doesn't believe my partner when he is told he has to stay seated for the rest of the game. Apparently that doesn't happen in AAU ball either.

5. Same game as #4. Player after being called for carrying the ball about the third time, jogs over to me in transition as we go the other way. He then proceeds to ask, "You've got a thing for me, don't you?" Somewhat puzzled and not sure I heard him right, I say "What?". He then repeats it to me again, and finally realizing what he means... *WHACK* I should have issued the T for the first comment, but I was so puzzled and taken aback by it that I wasn't quite sure what he said. Lucky for me he repeated it I guess...

Sorry for the length, but I had to vent about it somewhere. Feel free to impart your words of wisdom below.
#3 if he said the actual word rather than "f'ing" that's a flagrant.
#4 is flagrant.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
#3 if he said the actual word rather than "f'ing" that's a flagrant.
#4 is flagrant.
Agreed.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Number 4 is definitely a flagrant in my book. I think you did well overall. If it makes you feel any better, you weren't the only ones with a tough weekend. Just ask Howard Webb.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then he doesn't believe my partner when he is told he has to stay seated for the rest of the game. Apparently that doesn't happen in AAU ball either.
I don't work a great deal of AAU ball, but I did just recently officiate in their girls 9U national tournament in Branson. We used NCAA-W rules and mechanics (including 30-second shot clock). If the AAU boys use NCAA-M rules and I have to think they do, then I don't believe seltbelting would apply even for a direct T against the HC.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Only 5 T's and 1 ejection in an entire weekend? What were you doing - sleeping?

BTW - "You've got a thing for me, don't you?" - might have been a pickup line.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
BTW - "You've got a thing for me, don't you?" - might have been a pickup line.
It's what I say to the FedEx guy.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
I don't work a great deal of AAU ball, but I did just recently officiate in their girls 9U national tournament in Branson. We used NCAA-W rules and mechanics (including 30-second shot clock). If the AAU boys use NCAA-M rules and I have to think they do, then I don't believe seltbelting would apply even for a direct T against the HC.
We were using NFHS rules, and all the coaches were informed of this several times. As far as that coach goes, I don't think he even knew much of the rules anyways. He seemed to be there just so they could have someone on the bench.

And to Nevada, #3 he actually did just say f'ing and #4 should have been flagrant. I have to eat that one
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then he doesn't believe my partner when he is told he has to stay seated for the rest of the game. Apparently that doesn't happen in AAU ball either.
Had this one a couple of weeks ago where the guy actually said, "I am a ref and I have the rule book right here to prove it!" (He really did have his rule books and had them out).

Okay Coach, you should read it then, especially 10-5-1a . Good times in AAU.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
Had this one a couple of weeks ago where the guy actually said, "I am a ref and I have the rule book right here to prove it!" (He really did have his rule books and had them out).

Okay Coach, you should read it then, especially 10-5-1a . Good times in AAU.
He would no longer have to worry about the seatbelt at this point.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 11:14am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
"I am a ref and I have the rule book right here to prove it!"
"How do I know you didn't just mug some real ref out in the parking lot and take his book?"