The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I hear what you are saying about JR. However, I'd rather read something that demonstrates his experience level regarding a legit OP instead of watching him chop a guy off below the knees that he doesn't see fit to tolerate. And, it doesn't really matter if he thinks mutantducky should sit in the stands and cheer full time. That's why there's an "ignore" feature. It would probably be worth his time to utilize it instead of flaming.

If he doesn't care to associate or work with him, then why in the heck does he care to respond to his posts?
For the very reason you mentioned earlier - there are a number of people that read this forum without ever responding or participating, so there is a need to help distinguish the legitimate disagreements from the stuff that's simply not right. Our job is hard enough without having someone post ideas and actions that are clearly outside the norm of what is considered good officiating, and then have others pick up on those incorrect ideas and continue them, thinking that it must be ok because someone posted it on the forum.

JR's posts come from both a passion to get it right, as well as a bit of a discussion history with ducky. It may help on your end to be a little more aware of how the posts came about, and the history involved, rather than simply stepping in and dismissing them as coming from from some old guy that doesn't get it anymore. (Well, ok, I won't argue the point about him being old. Really old. So old that...oh, never mind. ) The communication in your posts seems to say that he should be ignored because the ducky one was correct, so that will earn you some comments in your direction. Take them or leave them.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If he doesn't care to associate or work with him, then why in the heck does he care to respond to his posts?
I could care less what mutantducky thinks about what I have to say. And I doubt very much if the Mutant will ever lose a second's sleep about anything that I have to say either. I do care though about the people who read what the Mutant is advocating and maybe mistakingly think that there is a possibility that there is some validity in his ramblings.

What it comes down to is that an official's most important attribute is and will always be his integrity. And a great part of our integrity is the dogma that we try to treat everybody the same, no matter our personal likes or dislikes. If we don't, then we become the Tim Donaghy's of the world.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I could care less what mutantducky thinks about what I have to say. And I doubt very much if the Mutant will ever lose a second's sleep about anything that I have to say either. I do care though about the people who read what the Mutant is advocating and maybe mistakingly think that there is a possibility that there is some validity in his ramblings.
No argument from me on that one. I'd only add that there are probably better ways to convince the lurking masses not to follow the Pied Ducky. Your way is effective, I'm sure. But, is looks crude.

Quote:
What it comes down to is that an official's most important attribute is and will always be his integrity. And a great part of our integrity is the dogma that we try to treat everybody the same, no matter our personal likes or dislikes. If we don't, then we become the Tim Donaghy's of the world.
No argument there, either.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m guy View Post
for the very reason you mentioned earlier - there are a number of people that read this forum without ever responding or participating, so there is a need to help distinguish the legitimate disagreements from the stuff that's simply not right. Our job is hard enough without having someone post ideas and actions that are clearly outside the norm of what is considered good officiating, and then have others pick up on those incorrect ideas and continue them, thinking that it must be ok because someone posted it on the forum.

Jr's posts come from both a passion to get it right, as well as a bit of a discussion history with ducky. It may help on your end to be a little more aware of how the posts came about, and the history involved, rather than simply stepping in and dismissing them as coming from from some old guy that doesn't get it anymore. (well, ok, i won't argue the point about him being old. Really old. So old that...oh, never mind. ) the communication in your posts seems to say that he should be ignored because the ducky one was correct, so that will earn you some comments in your direction. Take them or leave them.
hua :-)
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
You run the game with confidence, or you're eaten alive.
Amen to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What it comes down to is that an official's most important attribute is and will always be his integrity.
Double amen here! Preach it, brother! Can I get a "hell, yeah?"

Wait ... is this the "tent revival" forum?

M&M is right: consistency is incredibly important, regardless at which level you're fortunate enough to be calling. The higher up you go in officiating, the better being consistent serves you and the more closely it's scrutinized.

Regardless of your personal history with a coach or player, you'll find yourself miles and miles ahead by treating everyone the same ... which means like penalties for like actions.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:54pm
In Time Out

I learned from the start here that some people will just throw hissy fits if you disagree with them so after a while I stopped caring what they thought. Even some posts from me and other posters that I thought were benign would result name calling.
Not a fan of total uniformity for refs which a few here seen to support. When I started officiating I saw refs rip into each other good-naturedly I think so yeah they are used to having thick skins but here not always on differences of opinions. I'm a ref and a FAN and I'll continue to be one and I won't be one of those dicks who yell and whine about all the calls.

But forums are about discussion and debate so eh, whatever. I try to learn here and have a little fun.

and to my critics the next time you hear booing from the stands that is from me. muhahahahahaha.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'd only add that there are probably better ways to convince the lurking masses not to follow the Pied Ducky. Your way is effective, I'm sure. But, it looks crude.
Crude is sometimes effective. And don't mistake crude with blunt. And as I've already stated, I don't really think that the Mutant actually cares one iota about what I do or say anyway.

There are quite a few posters in this thread saying the exact same things that I'm saying, but maybe doing so a little nicer. But, those posters also have great credibility imo when it comes to officiating philosophies too. Hell, if they told me that I'm doing something wrong, I'd sureasheck start to question myself in a hurry.

The message is what is important, not the envelope that it comes in.

JMVO.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Regardless of your personal history with a coach or player, you'll find yourself miles and miles ahead by treating everyone the same ... which means like penalties for like actions.
I believe in treating people with respect or the way you want to be treated, but not the same. We are all not the same so you should not be treated as such JMO.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 05:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I learned from the start here that some people will just throw hissy fits if you disagree with them so after a while I stopped caring what they thought.
That has not been my experience at all.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 08:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I learned from the start here that some people will just throw hissy fits if you disagree with them
HEY - I resemble that remark.

Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I believe in treating people with respect or the way you want to be treated, but not the same. We are all not the same so you should not be treated as such JMO.

Peace
Are you talking about how you treat different coaches/players and/or people in general....or both?
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Crude is sometimes effective. And don't mistake crude with blunt. And as I've already stated, I don't really think that the Mutant actually cares one iota about what I do or say anyway.

There are quite a few posters in this thread saying the exact same things that I'm saying, but maybe doing so a little nicer. But, those posters also have great credibility imo when it comes to officiating philosophies too. Hell, if they told me that I'm doing something wrong, I'd sureasheck start to question myself in a hurry.

JMVO.
Good points.

p.s. help me out...."Just My Veluptous Opinion"????
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are you talking about how you treat different coaches/players and/or people in general....or both?
I treat people in the games I officiate like I would have wanted or would want to be treated out of that world. It is all the same to me.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:37am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I wish that were true, sir.

I still have plenty to learn about the officiating world, but one thing that's universal is that being right isn't enough with some people. The reality is, sometimes, you have to know how to present it to be effective.

As someone once said to me, just because you're serving filet mignon doesn't mean you should serve it on a garbage can lid.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I wish that were true, sir.

I still have plenty to learn about the officiating world, but one thing that's universal is that being right isn't enough with some people. The reality is, sometimes, you have to know how to present it to be effective.

As someone once said to me, just because you're serving filet mignon doesn't mean you should serve it on a garbage can lid.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Everyone has a different personality, approach to the game, perspective, background, etc.

That requires me as an official to choose how I communicate and handle people carefully - and often, differently.