The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Things I learned at camps

Just back from a 3-day camp (girls V and JV) and 2-day camp (Boys V and JV)

1. I still have a lot to learn.

2. What I do know, I need to improve upon.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Sat Jun 26, 2010 at 06:11pm.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 08:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good advice.....you saved me all that money! Thanks.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Good advice.....you saved me all that money! Thanks.
Sorry that was my bad attempt at humor.

Things I learned:

1. First three minutes sets the tone. Strong signals, clean up the post.

2. Always see your partner before in bounding the ball.

3. Stay in your primary. Do not be a ball watcher. Trust your partner.

4. As the level of play improves, the fouls become more subtle. More pushes to the midsection, legs etc.

5. You never know who's watching you officiate.

6. If there's confusion/doubt on a play, come together. Do not attempt to communicate with your partner from 40' away.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Long time lurker-infrequent poster. I had to share my camp experience: I had a great experience at a HS camp. I got yelled at for ball watching, and once for not calling an intentional foul. I saw the contact, but didn’t see the push in the back at the lead. I took the blame for getting straight-lined. My partner at the C bailed me out with the intentional call.
My clinician was retired NBA official Ron Olesiak. My partners and I jelled after the first half of the first game, and he recommended us for varsity games to our assignor. Wow! Ron then asked us to stay after our last game to talk advanced officiating for a few minutes. This turned into a one hour personal clinic. We covered RSBQ, continuation, block/charge, verticality, and types of contact that warrant a foul plus a great deal more. It was Fantastic!
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:13am
Back from the DL

Good stuff, 909. Thanks for posting.

BTW, if someone could elaborate a bit on the whole rhythm-speed-balance-quickness concept, I'd really appreciate that.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
BTW, if someone could elaborate a bit on the whole rhythm-speed-balance-quickness concept, I'd really appreciate that.
Here's the way I was taught the concept:

If the contact (when the defender is at fault) acts to disrupt the dribblers rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness it is a foul. I'm sure you've seen plays where a dribbler goes to turn a corner and there is a bump. If you see that bump impact the rhythm that the dribbler established before the contact then you should call the foul. If you see the dribbler slow down from the contact such that the defender gains the advantage you should call the foul. If the dribbler loses balance, then it's a foul. And if a dribblers quickness is neutralized by the contact, then there is a foul.

On the other hand, if the dribbler is able to work through the contact and get to where he/she wanted to go on the floor without a sufficient disruption, then the contact can be ruled incidental and you play on.

I hope this helps.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Good stuff, 909. Thanks for posting.

The concept hasn't changed in the 50+ years I've been involved...just the terminology. The NFHS has put out numerous POE's, interpretations, etc. over the years. Here's a prime example from an old POE:

HANDS OFF:
-defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler.
- no displacement of a cutter.
- the measuring of an opponent(tagging) is hand checking, is not permitted and is a FOUL.*(NFHS emphasis, not mine)
- Use of a forearm, regardless of the duration of the contact, is a FOUL. *(again NFHS emphasis)
- hand checking is not incidental contact; it gives a tremendous advantage to the person illegally using their hands.
- this applies to both offensive and defensive players.
- principles involved in incidental contact (Rule 4-27) apply.

It's usually accepted that a defender can put one hand on the dribbler/cutter/post player if they take it right off again without displacing that dribbler/cutter/post player. Two hands on a dribbler/cutter/post player is an automatic foul, displacement or not.

The same POE, which was was issued for about 3 years in a row, also talked about defensive contact during post play and contact during screens.

And also note that that the NBA, NCAA and NFHS have all issued recent memos about not letting dribblers get "bumped". The "bumping" has been ignored too much in their collective opinions. They all felt that too much illegal contact was being let go on dribblers under the guise of "incidental" contact.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 12:00pm.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's usually accepted that a defender can put one hand on the dribbler/cutter/post player if they take it right off again without displacing that dribbler/cutter/post player. Two hands on a dribbler/cutter/post player is an automatic foul, displacement or not.
I had a varsity boys coach go ballistic on me over the weekend when I called a foul on one of his guys for putting hand on the ballhandler's hip and keeping it there from the 3 point line all the way to the block.

He gave me (and this was a first for me) the big "PHOOEY ON YOU" - turned head and waved hand at me.

It was awesome, I must say.

Last edited by DLH17; Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 12:59pm.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I had a varsity boys coach go ballistic on me over the weekend when I called a foul on one of his guys for putting hand on the ballhandler's hip and keeping it there from the 3 point line all the way to the block.

He gave me (and this was a first for me) the big "PHOOEY ON YOU" - turned head and waved hand at me.

It was awesome, I must say.
If he SAID that, I certainly hope you T'd him up. He showed you up big time.

The gesture alone might or might not deserve it.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 01:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

I whacked a coach this season for that. He asked for an explanation, I started to give him one and then he gave me the dismissive wave. I channeled my inner-Snaqs and brewed some T.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

mbryon - he did not say those words. That's the only way I can think of to describe his arm/hand wave.

I'm curious how others here on the forum might have handled the situation based on the info provided.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
mbryon - he did not say those words. That's the only way I can think of to describe his arm/hand wave.

I'm curious how others here on the forum might have handled the situation based on the info provided.
HTBT... that could be T-worthy ... and might not be as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
HTBT... that could be T-worthy ... and might not be as well.
For you, would it depend on the level of theatrics involved? Or something else?

In my sitch, he was in the coaches box - not stomping around like a fool. Just went from audibly arguing the call to giving the arm wave.

It took me a little off guard, mainly because it's freaking summer ball. But, he more or less "moved on" after doing it.

No further issues arose.

Last edited by DLH17; Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 02:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh17 View Post
mbryon - he did not say those words. That's the only way i can think of to describe his arm/hand wave.

whack!
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

"Theatrics" - perhaps more visual than what I meant, but close enough. I mean - if it was derisive, or over the top, it's more likely a T than if it's just a minimal gesture from far away.

It would also depend on how the game has gone so far... if he's been beligerent the whole game, this might be the tipping point. If he's been an angel - I might be inclined to let more go.

Either way - you were there, I wasn't. HTBT. I think I'm inclined to go with whatever you felt was right in the circumstance.

West Houston Mike