The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Hey shot clock guys

I noticed in last night's NBE game (there was a commercial in the White Sox - Cubs game and I was just flipping channels) that a Laker got tied up for a jump ball. The Lakers got the tip but the shot clock didn't reset for the jump. Since the team that had the ball originally got the tip, the shot clock just resumed where it had stopped for the jump.

Since I don't work shot clock games, I asked myself if, during an NF rules game, the team that was on offense gets tied up for a jump and they have the arrow, does the shot clock reset or resume. I would guess it resets. What's the answer?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I noticed in last night's NBE game (there was a commercial in the White Sox - Cubs game and I was just flipping channels) that a Laker got tied up for a jump ball. The Lakers got the tip but the shot clock didn't reset for the jump. Since the team that had the ball originally got the tip, the shot clock just resumed where it had stopped for the jump.

Since I don't work shot clock games, I asked myself if, during an NF rules game, the team that was on offense gets tied up for a jump and they have the arrow, does the shot clock reset or resume. I would guess it resets. What's the answer?
As you know Mark, NF doesn't have a shot clock rule, so they would probably copy the NCAA rule. In NCAA and FIBA, there is no reset when the offensive team retains the possession with the arrow.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:52pm
Esteemed Participant

In Washington State - no reset as that would penalize the defensive team.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
California:

The shot clock will be stopped and the offensive team shall have the unexpired time remaining on the shot clock to attempt a shot when play continues:

* Following a time-out.
* Following a deflection out-of-bounds by a defensive player.
* Following an official’s time-out for an injured player.
* Following an official’s time-out for a player who loses a contact lens or glasses.
* Following a held ball and the offensive team retains possession of the ball by the AP arrow procedure.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just an FYI, under NBA rules, a jump ball caused by the defense will never reset the shot clock unless it is under 5 seconds in which case it will be reset to 5 seconds.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
In NCAA and FIBA, there is no reset when the offensive team retains the possession with the arrow.
Exception (Men's): You WOULD reset when the team in control shoots an air ball and 2 opponents create a held ball on the rebound.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
Exception (Men's): You WOULD reset when the team in control shoots an air ball and 2 opponents create a held ball on the rebound.
Correct for NCAA Men's; there is an exception.

No exception for FIBA.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Correct for NCAA Men's; there is an exception.
This is probably not a big deal, but you guys are perpetuating a misconception. In fact, you've got it exactly backwards. If you read the NCAA rule, it says to reset on any held ball (NCAA 2-11.6c). So the situation you two are discussing is NOT an exception.

One of the exceptions (2-11.7e) is that the shot clock does not reset when a held ball occurs while there is team control and the team in control has the arrow.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is probably not a big deal, but you guys are perpetuating a misconception. In fact, you've got it exactly backwards. If you read the NCAA rule, it says to reset on any held ball (NCAA 2-11.6c). So the situation you two are discussing is NOT an exception.

One of the exceptions (2-11.7e) is that the shot clock does not reset when a held ball occurs while there is team control and the team in control has the arrow.
2-11.7e does not apply because there is no team control.

Check out 2-11.7...Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances:
i. After a simultaneous held ball as described in Rule 4-37 occurs during a throw-in or (woman) after an unsuccessful try that does not contact the ring or flange and the alternating-possession arrow favors the throw-in team