The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
MN will try shot clock

The MSHSL yesterday approved the use of a 35 second shot clock for non-conference, and tournament play for this year on a test basis. Seems a lot of the big school coaches want to go to this beast. For those of you who have to deal with this at the HS level, do you find it to be as big a pain as I think it will be?

It's funny how they are willing to spend the $3k or so on the clocks, but not willing to fork out the extra change for 3 man crews.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp
The MSHSL yesterday approved the use of a 35 second shot clock for non-conference, and tournament play for this year on a test basis.
If you're going to use it in the state tournament, why wouldn't you use it for conference games? You want teams to be accustomed to it in the second half of the season before they get to the tournament, don't you?

Quote:
do you find it to be as big a pain as I think it will be?
Yes.

Quote:
It's funny how they are willing to spend the $3k or so on the clocks, but not willing to fork out the extra change for 3 man crews.
"Funny" isn't the word I'd use.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Tournaments as in Christmas tournaments.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The MSHSL yesterday approved the use of a 35 second shot clock for non-conference, and tournament play for this year on a test basis. Seems a lot of the big school coaches want to go to this beast. For those of you who have to deal with this at the HS level, do you find it to be as big a pain as I think it will be?
Nope, you learn how to manage it just like any other aspect of the game. I much prefer a game with a shot clock.

Quote:
I agree. It is a disservice to the kids who play to not go to 3-person.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 10:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Really - in today's world, you'd think the schools could find a better use for that money other than for shot clocks. I'm all in favor of recognizing the value of youth sports, but shot clocks aren't going to teach the kids anything more than what they're already getting out of participating in athletics.

Maybe they should take the money and hire some people to come in and lecture to parents on sportsmanship. Now that would be money well spent.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 10:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Do they add another person to the table crew? Are there a lot of errors with clock resets on shots? I don't see any HS games with shot clocks and hope it is awhile before I do. I certainly do not view a shot clock in the same manner as the AP arrow.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 11:18am
Esteemed Participant

The first few games with new shot clock people will be awful - lots of things to fix, etc...just take time before the game to really discuss with the new shot clock operator when to and when not to reset the thing...after a few games, it's really not that difficult.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I wish Oregon would use a shot clock. I like the idea of a shot clock .
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

This won't be that big of a change as people think. Everyone thought staying tableside would be terrible; many people didn't (and still don't) think 3-man is the way to go; and I'm sure lots of people didn't like the thought of the 3pt line.

There is resistence to change regardless of what the change is. In the long run, it will make the games better for the kids, coaches, fans, and us officials too.

Way to go MN! Now if we could only convince the "powers that be" in Illinois...
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is not going to change in Illinois unless the NF changes the rule. To make a long story short, the IHSA has a very good relationship with the NF and they are not going to do something that is going to jeopardize that relationship by using a rule that goes against the NF. At least that is not going to be the case with this current administration in the IHSA office.

I also do not see a necessity at the HS level. Personally I would deal with it if and when it becomes a rule. Right now I do not care either way. I do think it would cause some problems from the clock operator not starting or resetting the clock properly. I really feel this way if it was a lower level adoption. Most of the time we get a kid running the clock and they are more concerned with text messaging than paying attention to the game.

Edited for you comedians.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Oct 06, 2007 at 02:13am.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
This won't be that big of a change as people think. Everyone thought staying tableside would be terrible
Not sure that the two situations are comparable. Going tableside was a simple change that we did - it had nothing to do with the table or adding another factor that can cause disruption and have to be fixed...so while I agree that the change won't be as hard as some people fear, I think it will be considerably harder than changing to tableside after reporting a foul.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
the NF has a very good relationship with the NF
One would certainly hope so.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a real problem in schools holding the ball outside for 2 or 3 minutes on a regular basis?

I've been seven years in Houston, and there are some games I wish they CAN'T shoot the ball until 35 seconds have expired, so I can catch my breath.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
... the NF has a very good relationship with the NF and they are not going to do something that is going to jeopardize that relationship by using a rule that goes against the NF. ...
I always suspected the NF was a little schizophrenic.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Is there a real problem in schools holding the ball outside for 2 or 3 minutes on a regular basis?

I've been seven years in Houston, and there are some games I wish they CAN'T shoot the ball until 35 seconds have expired, so I can catch my breath.
There was a tournament game this year where one team held the ball for most of the first half, then blew the lead. The other team held the ball for most of the second half, then blew the lead. I think it was in Wisconsin or possibly Minnesota. Almost everyone who watched that game would be in favor of a shot clock.

In NY, most offensive possessions are completed in 18 seconds or less, and the shot clock rarely comes into play. One thing that almost always happens at least once every game is that the shot clock has to be reset because it wasn't started properly. This is a minor inconvenience. The other issue is that bad tables now have an additional opportunity to screw up. But that's really the responsibility of the athletic association and the athletic directors to institute and enforce standards and training.