The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Survey says.....

While this sounds like an officiating urban legend, this happened and wanted to throw it out for dissemination.
Saturday girls AAU game 2 person crew. Ball goes OB and whistle sounds. As the player start to decongregate around the play, A's center hits the deck doubled over gasping for air.. B's center is the closest player and while standing over her is not taunting. Neither official sees how/why A hits the deck, L was opposite side of lane base line T was sorta deep, but A's parents in the stands had a great view of what happened and are going crazy saying it was a cheap shot.
Coach is beckoned on to the court to tend the player, players dad comes out and is sort of upset. As the player gets helped off the floor the coach approaches the L official, get about 6" from his face and in a calm voice says words to the effect "You obviously didn't see what happened. Since I didn't either, I can't really get upset, but I wanted to stand here for a minute, point over to the spot where my player hit the floor and shake my head. I am not upset, but this way my parents will think I am really laying into you. So if you want, feel free to shake your head and point to my bench and I will walk over there shaking my head and pointing at the spot. This way the parents will think I got my point across and lay off of you" The coach gets pointed to his bench, his parents cheer, the coach heads off the floor and........
If you're THAT official what would you do?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Purposely play along with a scenario which makes it look as though the coach is ripping the official???

Nope, not what I would do.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quite frankly, if a coach came to me with this proposition, I could see myself going along with this as long as it wasn't prolong.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 03:14am
Do not give a damn!!

This happens a lot in baseball. Coaches come out knowing we got it right and act a little animated or come out looking mad and even given us credit for getting the play right, then walks away. It sounds like this was his intention while letting you know he is not mad, while making his fans feel like he did not just do anything. I cannot think I have ever had that happen in a basketball setting. I guess I would play along if it was not long. I think I would have to be there and use my instincts.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

I would get that coaches address and send him a nice gift card in the mail for saving my butt.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 08:25am
Huck Finn

I would probably point at the bench and get it over with. My last job in the Air Force involved acting mad at times when I wasn't really mad so I'm used to this sort of situation.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I would pretend to T him up. Then I would report it to the table and we would shoot 2 FTs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

If the coach isn't doing or saying anything unsportsman-like and wasn't delaying the game (ie: player is still departing the court; wet spot being dried) then I don't see the need to do anything other than maybe saying "situations like this is why I always like 3 officials on the court".
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I doubt that I would acknowledge anything the coach said. I would go about my business of getting the required sub in the game and resuming play (which would require the coach leaving the floor). From that point, I would treat it like any other interaction with a coach.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess I would play along if it was not long. I think I would have to be there and use my instincts.
+1

You do what you think fits the particular situation.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Purposely play along with a scenario which makes it look as though the coach is ripping the official???

Nope, not what I would do.
The coach is actually acknowledging that you didn't see it. He just wants the players and parents to think he has their backs.

This is a fairly common thing in high level baseball. I would have no problem with it if it was over quickly and he didn't show me up afterward.

In football, I've told a coach (after an inadvertent whistle by a member of my crew) that he has 30 seconds to say pretty much whatever he wants, on the condition that once that 30 seconds is over, we move on and there's no more said about it.

Role playing. Officiating and coaching both have elements of it.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 11:10am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
My last job in the Air Force involved acting mad at times when I wasn't really mad ...
So you were assigned to Gitmo?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 11:12am
Back from the DL

JRut mentioned baseball. Somewhere, there's footage of Tommy Lasorda doing something similar to this with an umpire. It appeared that Lasorda was tearing Blue a new one, and while it got the crowd on his side (and off his back), he was actually being complimentary.

Does anyone remember the commercial a few years ago where Lou Piniella "angrily" gave an umpire praise? I'm pretty sure that was based on actual events.

If a coach wanted to do this, I'd be cool with it. I'd enjoy the challenge of keeping a straight face.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

OK, it is time to come clean. I was the coach!! I thought the officials did a good job, especially considering it was their 3rd game in a row in a gym that had no A/C. I could see him talk to his partner about it later and he had a good laugh. My parents were satisfied so it was all good. The only other thing I said to them , besides callling for a TO, was after a good (but unpopular) call the official was right next to me as FT's were being attempted. I got right next to him and said "That was a really good call. I don't see how you can expect my team to win if you keep making good calls like that!" Despite the fact that they made good calls the rest of the game we still won!!
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 02:02pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
OK, it is time to come clean. I was the coach!!
Then next time, Nevada should be assigned to your games.