The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

kick 'im while he's down

Adult men's "wreck" ball, NFHS rules. (I know, my first mistake is doing these games in the first place!)

B1 is face down on the floor at the feet of A1 after an unsuccessful dive for a loose ball. The play has moved on. A1 chooses to step over B1 to rejoin the play (rather than go around), and his foot inadvertantly contacts the head of B1.

Do you call an off-ball team control foul on A1 if

1) it is early in the game and there are no emotions yet,

2) it is the fourth quarter, A1 has four fouls, and he has given you attitude on every call.

I was in situation (2), and was torn between

- wanting to get rid of a player with attitude who just kicked an opponent in the head, and
- not wanting to disqualify a guy on a ticky tack contact.

I called the foul, and he added a T to his count on the way to the bench. He later called the league administrator, who luckily had attended the game and backed me up. The administrator did not really see the kick, but agreed with me on the T.

If it had been situation (1), I probably would have warned him and let it go.

What would you guys do?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only way situation 2 matters, in my opinion, is that I'd be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't make the call in an effort to dump him. I'd also be inclined, based on the level of contact and whether he got the benefit of the doubt, to call it intentional rather than common (or team control).

Also, pull the trigger sooner on the T if he's giving you attitude on every call. Personally, if he gave me attitude the first call, he gets a quick chat with me; one way actually. If he gives me attitude on the second call, he gets his first T. That's, at most, three calls with attitude and you don't have to worry about him.

And if the league administrator has to be there to back your Ts, I'd think twice about the league.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The only way situation 2 matters, in my opinion, is that I'd be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
This was my thought, but I didn't think about going with an intentional.

Quote:
Also, pull the trigger sooner on the T if he's giving you attitude on every call.
Agreed. I should have addressed it sooner.

Quote:
And if the league administrator has to be there to back your Ts, I'd think twice about the league.
The phone call to the administrator and "backup" happened hours after the game. I didn't need any help at the time.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
... foot inadvertantly contacts the head of B1 ... kicked an opponent in the head ... the kick ...
Team control foul. Also. A wise man, on this Forum, once said, "Accidental isn't always incidental".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The phone call to the administrator and "backup" happened hours after the game. I didn't need any help at the time.
That's not what I meant, sorry. What I meant was, if the administrator won't have your back later unless he actually saw the play, then it's a problem. I'm not saying that's the case, but that was the impression I got from your post. IOW, if he hadn't been there, then the player's call may have worked somehow. Not sure that's the case, but....
I didn't mean to imply you somehow needed help on the court.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I doubt very much that the contact to the head was accidental, however nonchalant it might have appeared. He knew he was stepping over an opponent and where his feet would hit if he dragged them.

Frankly, I could see a T here for unsporting conduct: walking over someone is intimidation. I would have at least an INT for this.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:31am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team control foul. Also. A wise man, on this Forum, once said, "Accidental isn't always incidental".
Yeah, but in this case it really is incidental, isn't it? How is the guy on the floor put at a disadvantage?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 11:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Correct Me If I'm Wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I could see a T here for unsporting conduct: walking over someone is intimidation.
Be careful here. It's live ball contact. Unsporting? Certainly. But it's still a live ball, and I don't believe that you can call a technical foul for live ball contact. Team control or intentional? No problem. Technical? I'm not so sure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Be careful here. It's live ball contact. Unsporting? Certainly. But it's still a live ball, and I don't believe that you can call a technical foul for live ball contact. Team control or intentional? No problem. Technical? I'm not so sure.
I believe he was referring to the act of just stepping over an opponent sans contact.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess That You Had To Be There ...

Quote:
... his foot inadvertantly contacts the head of B ... kicked an opponent in the head ... the kick ...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yeah, but in this case it really is incidental, isn't it? How is the guy on the floor put at a disadvantage?
The only question in my mind goes back to the orignal post which describes the play as "inadvertant". If I ignore the two references to the contact being a "kick", then this "inadvertant" contact can certainly be ignored as incidental. If the official deemed that there was no intent to harm, or injure, and B simply got up and continued play, then this contact can be ignored.

The two references to this being a "kick" seem to make the case for some type of contact foul being called.

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it" (Justice Potter Stewart, Jacobellis v. Ohio, 1964)

Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 01:47pm
We don't rent pigs

I would say this has to be either intentional or nothing. I cannot think of a basketball play committed against a player lying on the floor without the ball that would result in a common foul .

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 02:14pm
Back from the DL

My main issue with this whole thing is...

Quote:
I was in situation (2), and was torn between

- wanting to get rid of a player with attitude who just kicked an opponent in the head, and
- not wanting to disqualify a guy on a ticky tack contact.
Either way, you knew that A1 had four fouls. I never count fouls, for two reasons...
*it's the scorekeeper's job, not mine, and
*it can sway your view from being objective, much like it did here.

Let's look at the two options you present:
*"Wanting to get rid of a player:" Be careful. This is something you shouldn't want, but rather something you simply do when necessary.
*"Not wanting to disqualify a guy on ticky tack contact:" A player never gets disqualified on one foul (unless it's flagrant). It takes FIVE fouls, and whether the last one is hard or marginal is irrelevant. Even still, the fact that you knew he had four fouls played with your head.

I can't speak for the play itself, because I wasn't there. It's up to you whether A1 committed a foul, and you can't get involved with how many fouls one has at the time.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 03:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I would say this has to be either intentional or nothing. I cannot think of a basketball play committed against a player lying on the floor without the ball that would result in a common foul .
Makes sense.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Even still, the fact that you knew he had four fouls played with your head.
I don't normally count fouls- I knew this guy had four because he had complained about every call. You are right that I would have been better not to know. In spite of that I did my best to call objectively, but his attitude did affect my decision that this was intimidation (and hence worked to his advantage), rather than purely incidental.

I agree with others here that perhaps it should have been either intentional or nothing.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I believe he was referring to the act of just stepping over an opponent sans contact.
Exactly. And if there's contact after the whistle, I have the option of ignoring it or calling a second T for dead ball contact.