The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional or excessive intentional (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58182-intentional-excessive-intentional.html)

Pete Sat May 22, 2010 10:38am

Intentional or excessive intentional

Close game with two athletic teams 12 deep AAU. 3 minutes left, the team up 5 steals the ball, I am trail becoming lead, defender streaks down and they meet at the rim on a layup, defenders hands on the ball arms and crashes the offensive player. Hard clean foul. No Wind up, No Intent, and No Follow through. I called a shooting foul. After the game, our observer jumped on me that I should have called a excessive intentional foul!! It is either Intentional or Flagrant. I did not argue but read the book and talked with my partners and we are confused. Please provide input.

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 10:59am

Nfhs 4-19-3 ...

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes
an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or
when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically
designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional
fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of
the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.

I don't believe that the NFHS has a "hard foul" intentional foul signal. I believe that only the NCAA-M have such a signal. However, my high school board has been taught this "hard foul" signal for several years.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...41581841_m.jpg

Adam Sat May 22, 2010 11:44am

What your observer is saying is that even a hard clean foul can be determined to be intentional if the contact is excessive. Read the definitions of fouls in Rule 4. Billy quotes the rule above.
As for signals, just go with the "X," as it's easily recognized.

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 11:56am

Raise Your Hand If You're Sure ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 678026)
As for signals, just go with the "X," as it's easily recognized.

... unless you forgot to use deodorant that day, in which case use the followup signal in my post above.

Judtech Sat May 22, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 678028)
... unless you forgot to use deodorant that day, in which case use the followup signal in my post above.

"That call stinks!"

Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic. It looks like you just stand there with your arms at your sides and fists clenched? :confused:

Adam Sat May 22, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 678034)
"That call stinks!"

Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic. It looks like you just stand there with your arms at your sides and fists clenched? :confused:

Otherwise known as the "It's not fair!" mechanic. It works better if you stomp your feet at the same time.

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 01:11pm

Hard Foul Signal ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 678034)
Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic.

The official starts with the normal intentional foul signal (the X above the head), and then emphatically brings both arms down to his side to let everyone know that it's a "hard foul" variety of an intentional foul. It's difficult to see the arrows in the image I posted. Sorry. Again, I believe that this is only an approved signal for NCAA-M. I'm sure that one of our NCAA-M Forum members will be along shortly to confirm this. I'm just a lowly high school official.

Mark Padgett Sat May 22, 2010 01:39pm

I think this is the approved mechanic to indicate an intentional, flagrant, excessive jerk, er, I mean foul.

http://thegirlfromtheghetto.files.wo...idol-simon.jpg

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 01:52pm

Nah Nah Nha Nah Nah ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 678042)
I think this is the approved mechanic to indicate an intentional, flagrant, excessive jerk, er, I mean foul.

Sticking out the tongue is only used if the foul is flagrant, to let everyone know that someone is getting tossed.

Pantherdreams Sat May 22, 2010 02:04pm

Obviously this is a judgment call. I have a real hard time calling the excessive contact on a on player in a situation where they are playing the ball and only hits the arms but it causes a train wreck because of the speed of the play.

If the player is all over the body too and drives them down then i can see that as excessive, but calling it excessive because of the speed and intensity of the play making a normal play have a hard landing really doesn't seem appropriate to the defense. If the contact was no more then normal adjusted for the momentum of the players, but the speed and timing of the play results in a hard landing , I don't think you should be calling intentional IMO.

Judtech Sat May 22, 2010 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 678036)
Otherwise known as the "It's not fair!" mechanic. It works better if you stomp your feet at the same time.

Should you also, hold your breath, puff out your cheecks and cross your eyes?:p

just another ref Sat May 22, 2010 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 678039)
........let everyone know that it's a "hard foul" variety of an intentional foul.

But I don't think it would actually let everyone know anything, because I think this is up there among the least known rules. On this call, before, during, and after the explanation if one is given, the coach goes into the broken record mode: He got the ball........got the ball.........got the ball.

Jurassic Referee Sat May 22, 2010 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 678039)
Again, I believe that this is only an approved signal for NCAA-M. I'm sure that one of our NCAA-M Forum members will be along shortly to confirm this.

Confirmed. Not used in NCAA Womens.

Anchor Sat May 22, 2010 04:56pm

One of the primary jobs of the official is to insure reasonable safety. If it is excessive contact, by rule and by duty you gotta call it. The train wreck described in the OP fits the criteria. Call the intentional.

Adam Sat May 22, 2010 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 678045)
Obviously this is a judgment call. I have a real hard time calling the excessive contact on a on player in a situation where they are playing the ball and only hits the arms but it causes a train wreck because of the speed of the play.

If the player is all over the body too and drives them down then i can see that as excessive, but calling it excessive because of the speed and intensity of the play making a normal play have a hard landing really doesn't seem appropriate to the defense. If the contact was no more then normal adjusted for the momentum of the players, but the speed and timing of the play results in a hard landing , I don't think you should be calling intentional IMO.

I disagree. When you call it intentional, the players will think twice before being so careless again. It's a dangerous play and should be discouraged; more importantly, the rules call for it.