The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

second intentional

Team A is down by two, about twenty seconds left. B1 has an uncontested layup from behind and A1 wraps him up from behind. Easy intentional foul call.
B1 makes both shots.

During the ensuing inbound, A2 pushes B2 off ball. It is minor frustration push - A2 is not really savvy enough realize he is also stopping the clock. But, Team A benefits from the foul and the contact is off ball, so I call an another intentional.

I'm thinking I kicked this one. The second call should have been common foul based on intent. But whether there was intent or not, the foul stopped the clock and gave A a big advantage.

Is this an intentional?
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
During the ensuing inbound, A2 pushes B2 off ball. It is minor frustration push, A2 is not really savvy enough realize he is also stopping the clock. But, Team A benefits from the foul and the contact is off ball, so I call an another intentional. I'm thinking I kicked this one. The second call should have been common foul based on intent. But whether there was intent or not, the foul stopped the clock and gave A a big advantage. Is this an intentional?
An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes
an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or
when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically
designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional
fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of
the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Was the "minor push" designed to stop the clock, or was the defensive player playing tough defense to prevent his player from receiving the inbounds pass?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 10:23am.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Was the "minor push" designed to stop the clock, or was the defensive player playing tough defense to prevent his player from receiving the inbounds pass?
I think the latter. The game context was such that it looked like he was trying to stop the clock, but if I sit back and judge the action alone this is probably not intentional. That is why I kicked it.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Billy qouted the rule, but really this is a HTBT moment. Got video?
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

This is a regional mens rec game, so no video. You are right, it is a HTBT call. My question (from a rules point of view), is how much should we let game context come in to play on the intentional foul call.

This particular push would have been a common foul at any other point in the game. But because it was off ball in a strategic situation I chose to elevate it.

I am pretty sure my game awareness was much higher than the defender involved, and he may well have been clueless about the significance of the foul.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
This is a regional mens wreck game,
Fixed it for ya'.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

imho, no intentional foul. this was a common foul based on what you've described.

we ALWAYS should have game context in mind when officiating (i.e. similar plays need similar calls, making sure we identify "trouble makers", understand time/score situtations, etc.). good officials know when a team is going to foul in order to stop the clock and/or get the ball back.

when determining an intentional foul, i only consider two factors: 1) did the defender make a "normal" play on the ball or offensive player; or 2) was there excessive contact.

what you described did not meet either of those criteria. YES, the defender fouled away from the ball. whether the intention was to stop the clock or not, that play is very rarely ruled an intentional foul. just because a team wants to foul to stop the clock in end of game situations does not mean it is an intentional foul. to make the call you did would, imho, mean you are reading way too much into the wording of the rule - taking it too literally....
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team A is down by two, about twenty seconds left. B1 has an uncontested layup from behind and A1 wraps him up from behind. Easy intentional foul call.
B1 makes both shots.

During the ensuing inbound, A2 pushes B2 off ball. It is minor frustration push - A2 is not really savvy enough realize he is also stopping the clock. But, Team A benefits from the foul and the contact is off ball, so I call an another intentional.

I'm thinking I kicked this one. The second call should have been common foul based on intent. But whether there was intent or not, the foul stopped the clock and gave A a big advantage.

Is this an intentional?
Not intentional. IT was (as I read it) a "basketball play."

The rule doesn't read "... stops the clock." It reads "designed to stop the clock." And it should be interpreted as "solely desgned to stop the clock."
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys - you've confirmed it, I kicked it.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not intentional. IT was (as I read it) a "basketball play."

The rule doesn't read "... stops the clock." It reads "designed to stop the clock." And it should be interpreted as "solely desgned to stop the clock."
+1

Look for a non-basketball play that can serve no possible purpose other than to stop the clock. It's rare (though not impossible).
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This particular push would have been a common foul at any other point in the game. But because it was off ball in a strategic situation I chose to elevate it.
From this, I think you should have called it a common foul.