The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 12:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can't question your assertion that the Black defender had legal guarding position, it's just that I'm not 100% sure why he fell down: charged into, tripped over his own feet as he was backpedaling, or flopped?

Check out the two steps after the jump stop. It's a tough call, whether in a real time situation, or even on the video, it can certainly be called either way, but, at the least, it's "close" to a travel.

Billy:

I watched the tape at least five time with regards to the possiblity of traveling and I think that from what I could see on the tape I think that before I would call traveling I would have to have been the T and seen it it in real time and not on a TV screen.

I agree with you that the video is not a very good way to determine whether B1 flopped or not, but you know my philosophy of when in doubt, CHARGE IT! because it is the American Way for everybody to be in debt, oh wait, that is my political stump speech, .

My concern about the charge call is that the T started to close down when W44 started to drive and then stopped instead of staying with the play. Had the T continued to close down one or two more steps, he would have continued to have a very good angle to see if there was illegal contact by W44 of if B1 flopped.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Given that you're the only one who says this. What did you see?
I saw a player who clearly established his left foot as his pivot foot on the catch. I saw a player start a drive to his right using his right foot to start the drive. I saw a player alight nearly simultaneously (aka jump stop) before jumping to release his shot.

At no point did I see a travel violation committed by the offensive player.

IMHO, the only place that I can see someone calling a travel would be on the jump stop - and even then, I would disagree with that call.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
I saw a player who clearly established his left foot as his pivot foot on the catch. I saw a player start a drive to his right using his right foot to start the drive. I saw a player alight nearly simultaneously (aka jump stop) before jumping to release his shot.

IMHO, the only place that I can see someone calling a travel would be on the jump stop - and even then, I would disagree with that call.
Fair enough. It looked to me like he may have pulled his pivot foot before releasing the dribble, but I'm basing that more on ground covered since the video is too grainy to tell for sure. OTOH, the official on ball didn't call it, so deferring to his judgment wouldn't be a bad way to go either.

I was just curious to your reasoning.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I guess I missed the section in the rule book that says a jump stop can be nearly simultaneous. If there are two distinct steps it is a travel.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I guess I missed the section in the rule book that says a jump stop can be nearly simultaneous. If there are two distinct steps it is a travel.
check out the section about establishing a pivot foot. it discusses what a player can/cannot do when both feet hit the floor simultaneously and what a player can/cannot do when a player "alights his/her feet nearly simultaneously". there is a difference....the initial act - deemed to be a jump stop - is not considered traveling.

in my experience, the higher the level you work, the more you will see the jump stop (whether simultaneous or nearly simultaneous) used.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I think the travel is close, so I give the benefit of the doubt to the crew.

If you watch the offensive player on the collision, he did not go through the defender (in fact he is able to stop on a dime and gather for a shot attempt). So the play was a Correct No-Call by the crew.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
check out the section about establishing a pivot foot. it discusses what a player can/cannot do when both feet hit the floor simultaneously and what a player can/cannot do when a player "alights his/her feet nearly simultaneously".
That last quoted phrase is in the FED / NCAA rules book? I haven't picked one up in several months, but I don't recall that.

And, I'm sure Kelvin has worked at a high enough level to see more than just a few jump stops -- whether legal or illegal.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 07:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That last quoted phrase is in the FED / NCAA rules book? I haven't picked one up in several months, but I don't recall that.

And, I'm sure Kelvin has worked at a high enough level to see more than just a few jump stops -- whether legal or illegal.
Around here, you see it quite a bit even in high school JV ball. And if there's a discernible gap between the feet hitting, it's a travel IMO. That ain't "near" enough.