The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Question

Yesterday, during a youth game, the following occurred during a one-and-one free throw situation. I was lead and gave ball to the thrower A-1. On the attempt, player B-1 committed lane violation and I blew my whistle when attempt was over. At approximately the same time, my partner blew his whistle because the throw missed the rim entirely. We huddled and decided we had a double violation and used the possession arrow to give the ball to Team B on a spot throw in. Right or wrong?

Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
Yesterday, during a youth game, the following occurred during a one-and-one free throw situation. I was lead and gave ball to the thrower A-1. On the attempt, player B-1 committed lane violation and I blew my whistle when attempt was over. At approximately the same time, my partner blew his whistle because the throw missed the rim entirely. We huddled and decided we had a double violation and used the possession arrow to give the ball to Team B on a spot throw in. Right or wrong?

Dennis,
The defensive lane violation occurred before the ball missed the rim. Since the lane violation "may have disconcerted" the shooter, give A-1 another 1-1.
mick
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 11:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Dennis,
The defensive lane violation occurred before the ball missed the rim. Since the lane violation "may have disconcerted" the shooter, give A-1 another 1-1.
mick
Are you sure? My understanding was that this is a double violation, go with the APA.

..Mike
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Dennis,
mick
Are you sure? My understanding was that this is a double violation, go with the APA.

..Mike
Mike,
No,... I am not sure, and I do not remember anything to the contrary.
That's my call and I'm stickin' to it until I get more information.
mick
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Double violation

I think the violation should be a delayed call until the free throw has ended. The free throw ended when the ball did not have a chance to go in. Therefore double violation.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

See case book plays 9.1.3a and 9.1.3B
If you deem that the violation by B disconcerted
the free thrower you have only a violation by B.
If the violation was not disconcerting it a double.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Unless there is the windmilling of the arms or a similar action to keep from falling into the lane, it is a double violation and you go to the arrow. Once again, disruption of the shooter is a judgement thing.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Alot of these doubles will occur after the release, a defender steps in early before the ball hits the rim
and the shot is a brick. simple foot faults prior to the release will also get the double. Anything near the shooter
or that goes into the lane or the good old windmill I would consider disconcerting. It is a judgement call and you have to see it to make a good call.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Double Violation

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
See case book plays 9.1.3a and 9.1.3B
If you deem that the violation by B disconcerted
the free thrower you have only a violation by B.
If the violation was not disconcerting it a double.
Couldn't have said it better myself...Double violation, go to the possesion arrow. Throw in at the base line.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
By rule you did it correctly. You passed the test. Now when I had it happen in a game and I called it that way, the assignor watching the freshman level game chewed me out for not showing good game management skills and awarding a substitute free throw. His reasoning was that he missed everything because he was disconcerted by the original violation.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
By rule you did it correctly. You passed the test. Now when I had it happen in a game and I called it that way, the assignor watching the freshman level game chewed me out for not showing good game management skills and awarding a substitute free throw. His reasoning was that he missed everything because he was disconcerted by the original violation.
That is a very eays call for me.
I am still calling the first violation, and I am not gonna open a window to argue with the shooter, or the coach, whether it was disconcerting, or not. Why even go there?
This is not a hard call.
mick
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

The original post does not indicate when the lane violation occurred, before or after release. If before, yeah, go with the single violation on grounds of disconcerting the shooter.

Then again, if you have seen my teams shoot free throws, you would have to judge whether that airball was closer or farther than any of their other misses that day to deermine whether they were helped or hurt by the violation