The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I received a phone call today from a friend who moved to Orange County, California. He's doing Legion ball for $40/a game and only gets scheduled as a single. This seems to be the norm out there........how can this baseball rich area be doing the kids this injustice by using a single Blue on the field. Does anyone have any input as to how and why ? I've done over 120 games this year in the Houston area and have had two or more umpires scheduled for everyone of them.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sprague
I received a phone call today from a friend who moved to Orange County, California. He's doing Legion ball for $40/a game and only gets scheduled as a single. This seems to be the norm out there........how can this baseball rich area be doing the kids this injustice by using a single Blue on the field. Does anyone have any input as to how and why ? I've done over 120 games this year in the Houston area and have had two or more umpires scheduled for everyone of them.
Baseball is no different than any other business. The pay is determined by supply and demand. Apparently, in California they can find guys to do a game by themselves for $40. If they couldn't the price would go up. A couple of days ago, I was by myself and the coach wanted to only pay me $40. I told him time and 1/2($60) or I wasn't going to do the game. He said no problem. For $40 it is not worth it to be out there by yourself. I would suggest to your friend to tell the assigner that he will not do games for $40 dollars by himself. If he and other umpires stick together on this issue they will get at least time and 1/2 for a one man game.

Greg
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Many areas are suffering from a shortage of officials in all sports. Much of it is due to officials quitting because of the attacks on officials. This is also discouraging new officials from joining.

Bob
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

My son just moved out to San Diego for college and he and a buddy went to a summer league ball game. He mentioned American Legion and they had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe AL is not a big thing out there? I told him I would check into what legion posts are active in the San Diego area and get back to him. It has only been 3 days and I have not done that yet but that may have something to do with it. It could be a lousy league in that particular area.

Buster
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

You think you have it bad, I umpire in the NYC area and the 11-12 year old division which is pretty strong and is considered a strong league only uses one umpire and only pays 28$ a game, and even now that the playoff's are starting they still only assign one umpire.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Tom Sprague

Supply and Demand. Generally speaking, there is a lack of officials. In my HS schedule I am frequently assigned solo especially if it's a modified or Freshman game. However, the price is FEE plus 1/2. In my area, that translates into $90.00 - not bad.

I'm surprised that your freind is doing a game solo at the Legion level. Normally, that division doesn't have trouble getting umpires as the brand of ball is decent and relatively trouble free.

It's not uncommon to do games solo at the LL level - Ages 12 and under as you are playing on 60ft. bases.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Buster,

Your son is right, we do not do American Legion out in San Diego. It is all Pony/Little League.

By the way, we have a major shortage of umps out here. It seems we have a very good and active Adult program that more people or involved with. This limits the number of people able to umpire. We are baseball rich, so more players less umps.

I do on a routine basis, single games for $30-$35. Just the area I guess. But then again, I would take less money to umpire in San Diego then anywhere else!
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
I guess we don't have it so bad around here. Next year, I get $45/game for regular high school , whether one-man, two-man, freshman, JV, or Varsity. That $90 that Pete gets seems like a pipe dream!

P-Sz
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
I guess we don't have it so bad around here. Next year, I get $45/game for regular high school , whether one-man, two-man, freshman, JV, or Varsity. That $90 that Pete gets seems like a pipe dream!

P-Sz
----------------------------------------

No pipe dream. Same thing here. State pays $60 for HS varsity two man games. One man games get time and a half which is $90. Rare here, never scheduled but you do get it when your partner doesn't show. G.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

If Pete works close to me in NY the fee is $90 ($92 next year) per ump at a HS game.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
Buster,

Your son is right, we do not do American Legion out in San Diego. It is all Pony/Little League.

By the way, we have a major shortage of umps out here. It seems we have a very good and active Adult program that more people or involved with. This limits the number of people able to umpire. We are baseball rich, so more players less umps.

I do on a routine basis, single games for $30-$35. Just the area I guess. But then again, I would take less money to umpire in San Diego then anywhere else!
Believe me, if they started paying around $50 a game there would be a lot more people interested in the job. Money talks.

Greg
Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski

That $90 that Pete gets seems like a pipe dream!

Patrick - No Pipe Dream Here's the HS FEE Structure in NY - Westchester County.

Modified (7th / 8th graders) - $54.00
Freshman / JV - $60.00
Varsity - $78.00

I believe the FEES are going up by $2.00 next year but I do not have my HS notes with me. Normally, the Varsity games always have 2 umpires and 3 man crews for playoffs / sectionals. In modified, JV or Freshman it's not all that uncommon to do a game solo as there just isn't enough officials to cover all the games, especially if games are rescheduled due to weather.

Patrick we have openings, so if you want that pipe dream FEE come to the Big Apple. The Summer / Fall Ball FEES aren't that bad either.

Pete Booth