The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Travel Game Follie

I had the Championship game of a travel tournament Varsity HS boys age that turned into the game from hades. All because of the poor display of sportsmanship by one team.

Game was at the home teams high school which is a small 1A HS in the middle of no where. Visiting team is a large 4A. 2nd call I have in the game visiting coach is up and hollering about how a in air collision was ticky tack. Whatever.

We keep playing. He barks the whole first half. Nothing excessive, and nothing to warrent a T other than just constant whining over everything.

Partner and I answered his legitimate questions which were not many. At half we decide to let him continue as long as he didn't cross the line. First 30 seconds of the 2nd half he wants a handcheck at the top of the key as the guy passes the ball, no advantage or disadvantage. I am trail table side in front of his bench. He says to his team but loud enough for me to hear "were obviously not going to get that call here". I just shake my head.

My partner then makes a call, in his favor. Coach says to me "its a good thing he's here or we wouldn't get a foul call." I turn and stop sign him and say coach thats enough. I now go to lead under his basket and table side.

His guy drives into 3 people and loses the ball, we are transitioning the other way. He yells as a pass his bench, you probably went to blank high school (the home teams school) didn't you...Idiot!!! As he said this partner called a walk so it was his teams ball (this will come into play later). I turned around and WHACK!!! He then wants to know why he got the T. I said questioning my integrity. We shoot the technical freethrows. Then he requests a full timeout.

He proceeds to meet me, who was opposite table to administer the throw in for the home team, at half court. Screaming that high school had changed the technical rule to point of interuption after a T. I said no coach, get back to your bench. He does not comply and screams YOU DON'T know the rules. WHACK. We will see ya coach.

This guy was unbelievable. The rest of the game his team hacked, mugged and shoved. 3 of them fouled out. One shoved a kid in the back on a breakaway. I call an intentional and he looks at me and tells me that my call was f'ing bs in full words. WHACK, ejection.

Worst game i've ever dealt with.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

That was a fun read. Thanks for posting.

Question about the TF (for anyone). In the past, when assessing TF on head coaches, my rationale when asked is "unsportsmanship" or "unsportsmanlike behavior". Would this be better, worse or just as acceptable as the reason used in the OP?
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:56pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMTNRef View Post
visiting coach is up and hollering about how a in air collision was ticky tack.
Welcome to the forum. Your tolerance for absorbing abuse from out-of-control coaches may be considered commendable by some and an example of thick skin by others.
My take is you should have taken care of bidness at the first untoward outburst and finished the job soon after. I guarantee you would have had a much more enjoyable experience.

Hope you will stick around and become a solid contributor and gain some valuable insights from the 10 years + of searchable archives on this site, not to mention all our esteemed members!

Last edited by justacoach; Tue May 18, 2010 at 03:03pm.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
That was a fun read. Thanks for posting.

Question about the TF (for anyone). In the past, when assessing TF on head coaches, my rationale when asked is "unsportsmanship" or "unsportsmanlike behavior". Would this be better, worse or just as acceptable as the reason used in the OP?
The fact that you will even answer the question makes you a better person that I.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Great first post. Now, in the spirit of the forum, I'll add my thoughts. Take them or leave them.
My guess is he is not the normal varsity coach, since it's off season ball, so normal techniques may not work.

Quote:
I had the Championship game of a travel tournament Varsity HS boys age that turned into the game from hades. All because of the poor display of sportsmanship by one team.

Game was at the home teams high school which is a small 1A HS in the middle of no where. Visiting team is a large 4A. 2nd call I have in the game visiting coach is up and hollering about how a in air collision was ticky tack. Whatever.

We keep playing. He barks the whole first half. Nothing excessive, and nothing to warrent a T other than just constant whining over everything.
Constant whining gets addressed, normally quietly while I stand next to him. "Coach, if you have an actual question, we'll try to answer if we have a chance, but we can't have you complaining about every call."
To me, this is best done during a throwin in front of his bench when you're heading the other way. It give him a chance to think about it.

Quote:
Partner and I answered his legitimate questions which were not many. At half we decide to let him continue as long as he didn't cross the line. First 30 seconds of the 2nd half he wants a handcheck at the top of the key as the guy passes the ball, no advantage or disadvantage. I am trail table side in front of his bench. He says to his team but loud enough for me to hear "were obviously not going to get that call here". I just shake my head.
Assuming you've not addressed anything sooner, this is the point to give him his warning. He's just pushed the envelope of questioning your integrity, and it needs to be stopped here.

Quote:
My partner then makes a call, in his favor. Coach says to me "its a good thing he's here or we wouldn't get a foul call."
This is where you should have rung him up, even without previous warnings.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The fact that you will even answer the question makes you a better person that I.
Agreed. I wouldn't answer that one; he knows exactly why he got rung.

If anything, "Because you'd been asking for one all game and I finally decided to oblige."
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I had the Championship game of a travel tournament Varsity HS boys age that turned into the game from hades.

2nd call I have in the game visiting coach is up and hollering about how a in air collision was ticky tack.

He barks the whole first half.

Nothing excessive, and nothing to warrent a T other than just constant whining over everything.

He says to his team but loud enough for me to hear "were obviously not going to get that call here".

Coach says to me "its a good thing he's here or we wouldn't get a foul call."

He yells as a pass his bench, you probably went to blank high school (the home teams school) didn't you...Idiot!!!

He proceeds to meet me, who was opposite table to administer the throw in for the home team, at half court.

Screaming that high school had changed the technical rule to point of interuption after a T.

I said no coach, get back to your bench. He does not comply and screams YOU DON'T know the rules.
Hollering? Barking a whole half? Constantly whining? Directly questioning your integrity several times? Name-calling? Leaving his bench area to go across the court to yap at you? Screaming at you? Screaming at you again?

You were the author of your own misfortune imo. It was the game from Hades because you allowed it to degenerate into that.

If you don't want to take care of bidness, there's no use b!tching about it later. Sorry, but there it is.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Too bad they weren't using the rules used in the spring league I'm working. All unsportsmanlike (not administrative) technicals are two shots, possession AND TWO POINTS!

I'm sure Coach Wonderful would have loved that.

BTW - this facility, which is owned by the regional YMCA, has that rule for all the leagues it runs there, including mens wreck. The only time that rule is not mandatory is if some other entity rents a gym and uses it's own rules.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Hollering? Barking a whole half? Constantly whining? Directly questioning your integrity several times? Name-calling? Leaving his bench area to go across the court to yap at you? Screaming at you? Screaming at you again?

You were the author of your own misfortune imo. It was the game from Hades because you allowed it to degenerate into that.

If you don't want to take care of bidness, there's no use b!tching about it later. Sorry, but there it is.

Wow...this is crazy but we totally agree here!

People are only going to treat you as bad as you let them. I'd have whacked him in the first minute sounds like. It irks me that some officials hide behind the "thick skin" and "high tolerance" cliche's to mask being afraid to handle business.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 03:20pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
He yells as a pass his bench, you probably went to blank high school (the home teams school) didn't you...Idiot!!! .... I turned around and WHACK!!! He then wants to know why he got the T. I said questioning my integrity.
I would have gone with "name-calling," but that's just me.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
His guy drives into 3 people and loses the ball, we are transitioning the other way. He yells as a pass his bench, you probably went to blank high school (the home teams school) didn't you...Idiot!!!
For the record, this would have been flagrant. He's directly calling you a cheater, so in my game, he's done.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't answer that one; he knows exactly why he got rung.

If anything, "Because you'd been asking for one all game and I finally decided to oblige."
Interesting.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 06:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Interesting.
Let me add, I wouldn't use this in a high school game; then again, the coach would have been taken care of sooner.

If I was working an AAU type game, though, and for whatever reason had allowed the game to progress as this one did without addressing the coach, it's possible that would be the response to come out of my mouth if he asked me such a stupid question.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 08:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
He should have been listening to the rest of the game on the radio in his car. Oh, it wasn't being broadcast? Too bad.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. If this was a normal high school varsity game we would not have gone nearly as far as we did on this occasion. I actually have a reputation as being a guy with a quick trigger but in the championship game of a travel tournament, i try to avoid controversy as much as possible because there is nothing that can happen to these guys other than being removed from the gym. No suspension or nothing.

His questioning of my integrity plus the name calling probably should have been enough to warrent ejection before he met me at half court. However after he met me there, I basically knew that I had given him way too much leeway and he needed to be taken care of.