The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Cool NBA Travel

Someone please inform me when a travel should be and shouldn't be called in the NBA. I seem to notice obvious travels being no called in some games and not so obvious stuff in other games. What's the deal?
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I must preface my statement by saying I do not watch many NBA games. Actually I have not watched an entire game this season.

I was watching the Game 1 of the Heat and Bulls. There were about 4 travel calls in a matter of minutes. I have watched other games and I see traveling called in those games as well. I personally think the issue with traveling is a little over blown. I watch college games and I see calls not made on what I feel are obvious. The bottom line it is a hard call to make consistently and if you have to guess you should not make the call. That is my take on this issue.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:43am
Huck Finn

I do watch NBA games and traveling isn't the thing that gets me going.

Last night LeBron made a big deal of his fourth foul. He clearing charged into the other player. I don't think it was really about the foul, it was about the fact that it was the beginning of the 3rd period and it was his fourth. It is like there is an unwrittern rule that certain players shouldn't foul out of games.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Last night LeBron made a big deal of his fourth foul. He clearing charged into the other player. I don't think it was really about the foul, it was about the fact that it was the beginning of the 3rd period and it was his fourth. It is like there is an unwrittern rule that certain players shouldn't foul out of games.
That's what happens when its all about the $$$.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

For the same reason it's ok for a pro wrestler to hit someone with a table. It's sports entertainment, not a game. I will say, however, I'm impressed there's been some suspensions during the playoffs. At least they're making it look like they try to enforce sportsmanship.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

NBA Travel

Some officials just don't want to take away the flow from the game and make a travel call. It's just like a 3 second call. I would rather alert the player that he is in the lane, than to blow the whistle and stop play. All part of game management.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Someone please inform me when a travel should be and shouldn't be called in the NBA. I seem to notice obvious travels being no called in some games and not so obvious stuff in other games. What's the deal?

Read your NFHS rulebook on traveling, its the same, just more in depth in the NBA rulebook. I'm sure the NBA guys are told time and time again that if it is borderline and inconclusive just leave it alone. I would rather miss one and let play continue than call one that was never there.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

NBA Travel

Tomegun, I have the same issue. I work with some ref's, that will not and absolutley not give the top player of the team the last and final 5th foul in the game. I had a situation where a foul occurred and the C should have called it and didn't. I came with a delay whistle on the player and it turned out to be the 5th and I was mocked by the ref who should have made the call. It was a blainted foul. the whole Gym saw it.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Thumbs up Talk about calls made or not made.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I do watch NBA games and traveling isn't the thing that gets me going.

Tommy, I couldn't agree more. Did anyone stay up late and watch the Sacto - SA game?? The "screen" by Duncan was so blatantly illegal, but it would have wiped out Barry's 3 AND been Duncan's sixth foul. The ref on the play (Bavetta, I think) passed on it. SA wins. Bavetta also passed on one in the third quarter that should have been called on Ginobilli, who totally wiped out Bonzi Wells after passing into the corner for another Barry 3. All I could say was, "Wow!!"

Last edited by SeanFitzRef; Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 08:51am.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

I saw a game where the Atlanta Hawks Josh Smith caught the ball 5 feet outside the 3 point line and took 3 huge steps without a dribble followed by a dunk. It was the most obvious travel that even the announcers where laughing about this being the NBA and that this isn't called.

Here is the NBA's rule on traveling.

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.

The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.

d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.

e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.

f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.

g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.

i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

All of these are great examples of why I can't watch the NBA anymore. It is way to player driven. Soon, they might as well not have officials and let the guys call their own. I think the guys that work the NBA are great officials that know how to manage a game and I have all the respect in the world for what they do, but I think their hands are really tied by the fact that the league is there to make money. They have to be all too aware that people didn't pay to see Duncan on the bench in the 4th quarter. It seems that the higher level you go, the more officials are aware of the star player's foul situation. I think it's a good idea to know, you don't want to foul out the best player on the floor with a "nickel dimer", but you also can't let them do whatever they want.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart

Here is the NBA's rule on traveling.

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.

The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.

d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.

e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.

f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.

g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.

i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
You left out part of the rule.....

j. Traveling may only be called on a player who has been in the NBA less than two years, is averaging less than 10 ppg., and was not selected to play in the NBA Rookie/Sophmore All-Star game.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
All of these are great examples of why I can't watch the NBA anymore. It is way to player driven. Soon, they might as well not have officials and let the guys call their own. I think the guys that work the NBA are great officials that know how to manage a game and I have all the respect in the world for what they do, but I think their hands are really tied by the fact that the league is there to make money. They have to be all too aware that people didn't pay to see Duncan on the bench in the 4th quarter. It seems that the higher level you go, the more officials are aware of the star player's foul situation. I think it's a good idea to know, you don't want to foul out the best player on the floor with a "nickel dimer", but you also can't let them do whatever they want.
Amen, Brother Junker.....

I don't have a clue what a "travel" is in the NBA. I don't really feel bad though because I also don't have a clue what a "foul" is either.

The NBA is AND1 with better marketing.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Did anyone stay up late and watch the Sacto - SA game?? The "screen" by Duncan was so blatantly illegal, but it would have wiped out Barry's 3 AND been Duncan's sixth foul. The ref on the play (Bavetta, I think) passed on it. SA wins. Bavetta also passed on one in the third quarter that should have been called on Ginobilli, who totally wiped out Bonzi Wells after passing into the corner for another Barry 3. All I could say was, "Wow!!"
I agree: Wow!! Go SPURS!!!!

I missed all of the first game due to assignments/classes at basketball camp - but no regrets: my own games/camp beats NBA anyday. I missed almost half of the game and don't recall seeing Duncan's screen, but the pass-and-crash by Ginobilli was pretty obvious; o.w. the foul calls seemed tight, probably in response to the elbows exchanged in the first game.

Ginobilli's pass was nice and the crash was not obviously an offensive foul to the fans [yea, I know, that means NOTHING... you could see fans on the front row raising their arms like "where's the call" - meaning 'call something on Bonzi'), so maybe that gives the play an 'entertainment pass'? The calls seemed to be going both ways, so I'm sure there were no-calls that went both ways - maybe you are a Sacramento fan/Spurs adversary and recall those no-calls more vividly? The Spurs are living, and in danger of dying, by the 3-point shot this series. I like it better when their games produce winning scores in the 80s.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Amen, Brother Junker.....

I don't have a clue what a "travel" is in the NBA. I don't really feel bad though because I also don't have a clue what a "foul" is either.

The NBA is AND1 with better marketing.
Thank you Brother JR. Next I like to introduce a local boy..... put your hands together for Mr. Randy Waaatson!