The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 06:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

2010-11 NFHS Rule Changes

2010-11 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES

2-8-5; 3-3-8: Changed the guidelines and procedures for identifying and removing a player who exhibits signs, symptoms and/or behaviors consistent with a concussion.

3-5-3a: The list of permissible headband and wristband colors was changed to include any single solid school color.

10-3-6i; 10-5-5: Specific rules were added to address the unsporting acts of a player leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation and team members leaving the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.

2010-11 MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGES

3-3-1a NOTE; 4-34-2: Clarified that when a substitute is not properly reported, the players in the game at the conclusion of the quarter/when the time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter/after the time-out. During an intermission, all team members are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior.

3-4-2d: Clarified that a school or conference logo/mascot may be located at the apex/opening of the neckline, in the corresponding area on the back of the jersey and/or in the either side insert.

3-5-2: Clarified the requirements for guards, casts and braces and that a protective face mask shall be worn molded to the face.

6-1-2: Clarified that the ball becomes live on a throw-in and a free throw when it is at the disposal of the player and the official begins the count.

7-6-6: Clarified that when the ball is awarded to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.

2010-11 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Rules Enforcement
2. Sportsmanship
3. Perimeter Play
4. Closely-guarded Situations
5. Principle of Verticality
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
2010-11 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES

2-8-5; 3-3-8: Changed the guidelines and procedures for identifying and removing a player who exhibits signs, symptoms and/or behaviors consistent with a concussion.

3-5-3a: The list of permissible headband and wristband colors was changed to include any single solid school color.
2-8-5: This won't be as bad as the comparable rule in football, but anybody who gets an elbow in the head will now have to sit.

3-5-3: So the list is now: white, black, beige, dominant color of the torso of the uniform, or a school color? This might be the season I stop policing headbands... why not just change it to "all teammates have the same color" and leave it at that?
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 08:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
2-8-5: This won't be as bad as the comparable rule in football, but anybody who gets an elbow in the head will now have to sit.

3-5-3: So the list is now: white, black, beige, dominant color of the torso of the uniform, or a school color? This might be the season I stop policing headbands... why not just change it to "all teammates have the same color" and leave it at that?
Now I don't have to explain to a home team why they can't wear green at home, but can on the road. Good change, IMO.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Don't have my rulebook. Why did 6-1-2 need clarifying?
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 09:52am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Current passage below...

ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes live when:
a.On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand(s).
b.On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.
c.On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.
NOTE: Any rules statement is made on the assumption that no infraction is involved
unless mentioned or implied. If such infraction occurs, the rule governing it is followed.
For example, a game or extra period will not start with a jump ball if a foul occurs before
the ball becomes live.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

1. Rules Enforcement
2. Sportsmanship
3. Perimeter Play
5. Principle of Verticality[/QUOTE]

*6 ACT OF SHOOTING! is it just me or does it seem like 90 percent of the time in HIGHSCHOOL, refs are to quick to wave of the shot and not let them "continue" after they are fouled?
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

So we will be receiving training into properly identifiying these items? IMO, it would be best if we just left it to the discretion of the training/medical staff of the teams. BUT since I haven't read the changed guidelines then maybe that is what they did
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
So we will be receiving training into properly identifiying these items? IMO, it would be best if we just left it to the discretion of the training/medical staff of the teams. BUT since I haven't read the changed guidelines then maybe that is what they did
No, of course not. You will be expected to research it yourself. And if you don't, you can expect a lawsuit when you let a concussed individual continue to play. Let's hope the NFHS and state association insurance covers us.

I imagine the level of training you receive will likely depend upon your state. Here's the NFHS Parents' Guide to Sports Concussions. Additionally, while I haven't read the basketball rule yet, the rule books that already have this change spell out what to look for (loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion, or balance problems). They should add nausea and vomiting to that list.

This is change that is making it's way into all the NFHS rule books. I think it's a good change. I've got to believe most people will know if a kid took a blow to the head on the basketball floor and later has trouble walking or throws up. I'm a little worried about football, since hard contact occurs so often in that game and it's more difficult to see what's going on under a helmet and behind a face mask.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

All this talk about lawsuits is giving me a concussion.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
No, of course not. You will be expected to research it yourself. And if you don't, you can expect a lawsuit when you let a concussed individual continue to play. Let's hope the NFHS and state association insurance covers us.

I imagine the level of training you receive will likely depend upon your state. Here's the NFHS Parents' Guide to Sports Concussions. Additionally, while I haven't read the basketball rule yet, the rule books that already have this change spell out what to look for (loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion, or balance problems). They should add nausea and vomiting to that list.

This is change that is making it's way into all the NFHS rule books. I think it's a good change. I've got to believe most people will know if a kid took a blow to the head on the basketball floor and later has trouble walking or throws up. I'm a little worried about football, since hard contact occurs so often in that game and it's more difficult to see what's going on under a helmet and behind a face mask.
To me, this should fall in the same category as eligibility rules; completely up to the coach.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

So, they haven't really changed anything about the game itself and have relaxed the headband colors.....and they'll sell 10'000's of rule books to the officials across the US to pay for them to have done nothing. Sounds like it is time for bi-annual rules cycle (if it wasn't already). Even if they charge a bit more to maintain their net income levels, it will still be cheaper overall and will not consume as many resources.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
All this talk about lawsuits is giving me a concussion.
Well then, you can't referee again until you come back with a doctor's note and have both coaches and the hot mom at the table clear you.......
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Well then, you can't referee again until you come back with a doctor's note and have both coaches and the hot mom at the table clear you.......
You mean I get to have the hot mom examine me? Oh boy. I hope she asks me to turn my head and cough!
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagy0716 View Post

1. Rules Enforcement
2. Sportsmanship
3. Perimeter Play
5. Principle of Verticality

*6 ACT OF SHOOTING! is it just me or does it seem like 90 percent of the time in HIGHSCHOOL, refs are to quick to wave of the shot and not let them "continue" after they are fouled?
Let me address a couple things. POEs are not just for officials. POEs are for coaches that teach their players and the players that play the game. Many of the things we see that are put in the POEs are not just because officials do not call things, it is also because coaches and players do not understand the application of those rules. The best example I can give is a few years ago when one of the POEs was about slapping the backboard. It was funny how many times a slap of the backboard took place and coaches (and their players) wanted points to be counted, even though the rule was emphasized to not have that perception. It did not stop every time this took place a coach thought the officials did not know the rule or had to try to tell officials this was a POE. I can honestly say I have not seen many officials screw up that rule but once or twice in my career and it is usually non-high school sanctioned games where I see that mess up. In other words, the officials may or may not have been licensed to work regular high school games.

The part about "Act of Shooting" is much more of a problem with coaches and players because they think that if you are not airborne and throwing the ball in the basket at the moment you are fouled, you are not in the act of shooting. Usually the officials that get this wrong are newer officials that do not understand the current rules on when a player is in the act of shooting. But veterans tend to get this right more often and award properly shots on a foul. But it is the coaches and players that are often asking, "He was on the floor right?" Or they say "This is not the NBA" which ironically is just about the same rule as in college and high school.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue May 04, 2010 at 12:39pm.
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 12:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Current passage below...

ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes live when:
a.On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand(s).
b.On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.
c.On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.
NOTE: Any rules statement is made on the assumption that no infraction is involved
unless mentioned or implied. If such infraction occurs, the rule governing it is followed.
For example, a game or extra period will not start with a jump ball if a foul occurs before
the ball becomes live.
That's an interesting editorial change. So on a free throw the ball can be at the disposal of the thrower but not be live. So if B2 shoots an elbow to the ribs of A2 before we start our count it would be a Technical instead of a personal foul. Same on throw-ins.